Question of the Day.....????

Posted by Anton Abaya.

Coach on team #419, Rambots, from UMass Boston / BC High and NASA, Mathsoft, Solidworks.

Posted on 8/31/2000 1:17 AM MST

After being dead for so long…(summer does that to me)… A question came to me…

???

Who in FIRST do we consider CELEBRITIES??

???

yes, we have DK & WF as the top favorites. Who else should we fantasize about and worship?

Okay maybe not fantasize or worship… well, i’ll leave it to the die hard fans. But isnt woodie cute?

did i say that? i was referring to the bush i named outside my house.

-anton

Posted by Joe Johnson.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Engineer on team #47, Chief Delphi, from Pontiac Central High School and Delphi Automotive Systems.

Posted on 8/31/2000 6:48 AM MST

In Reply to: Question of the Day…??? posted by Anton Abaya on 8/31/2000 1:17 AM MST:

If I had a vote the following folks would be pretty high on the list:

Mr B. of PTNA
Moe of TJ2
Zen Master Elaine of X-CAT fame
Greg Mills of the one, the only, the original BOMB SQUAD
Raul & Dan of WildStang
Michael Betts of Int’l Fuel Cell
Andy from the TechnoKats.
There are others from but those come to mind right at the start.

Joe J.

Posted by Lora Knepper.

Other on team #419, Rambots, from UMass Boston / BC High and NASA, Mathsoft, Solidworks, Analog Devices.

Posted on 8/31/2000 7:46 AM MST

In Reply to: Mr B. of PTNA & Moe of TJ2 posted by Joe Johnson on 8/31/2000 6:48 AM MST:

I second that list whole heartedly, but I think that you should also be at the top of the list Joe! I’d personally also have to put Ken Stafford from WPI up there too.

~Lora

Posted by Andy Baker.

Engineer on team #45, TechnoKats, from Kokomo High School and Delphi Automotive Systems.

Posted on 8/31/2000 8:59 AM MST

In Reply to: Mr B. of PTNA & Moe of TJ2 posted by Joe Johnson on 8/31/2000 6:48 AM MST:

Joe,

Thanks for putting me in there with such great FIRSTers! I’m honored!

I’ll add to this list:

Jason Morrella - the head Cheesy Poof
Kyle Hughes and Ken Patton - Woodie F. Award Winners!
Natalie Lowell of X-Rite
Vince Wilczynski - Coast Guard and former FIRST chief
Dave Kelso - CHAOS leader and future Nickelodeon star!
Tony Norman of Innovation FIRST
Eric Rasmussen - Mr. Engineer at FIRST
Lori Ragas!
KC Connors - especially since she autographed my copy of the Dean K. article in ‘Wired’
Brian Beatty - let’s hope Beatty stays with FIRST!
Tim Railey, our 10 year TechnoKat veteran

jeez… and I can go on! There are sooo many who are deserve to be listed.

Also, there are a handfull of college students who bleed FIRST blood and deserve some respect:
Colleen Shaver at Boston U.
Daniel Lehrbaum of BORG
Shannon Schnepp at Purdue
Anton Abaya - head Rambot
Anthony Lapp of Michigan Roboworks
Nate Smith of GM & EMU
and
Andy Grady, who is sooo popular that MANY teams want him as their coach!

Imagine how many of our companies will want these students when they graduate! (btw, I can always forward resumes to our HR department… they seem to eager to hire these days.)

Take care,
Andy B.

Posted by Andy Grady.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Other on team in limbo from in limbo sponsored by in limbo.

Posted on 8/31/2000 9:16 AM MST

In Reply to: Thanks! Many More! posted by Andy Baker on 8/31/2000 8:59 AM MST:

Andy,
Thanks for including me with that bunch of great people. Ya know, in a few years ill be a free agent, I don’t know, maybe I would look good in Technokat colors if ya needed a coach =) Of course you would have to coach with me Andy (scary thought huh, you know that would be the most defensive robot in Technokat history, which would be a feat on its own!!!)
peace out,
Andy Grady

P.S. Im not sure if i missed him on any of the lists, but what about Alternate Woodie Greg Hale, that guy rules!!!

Posted by Joe Johnson.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Engineer on team #47, Chief Delphi, from Pontiac Central High School and Delphi Automotive Systems.

Posted on 8/31/2000 10:47 AM MST

In Reply to: Re: Thanks! Many More! posted by Andy Grady on 8/31/2000 9:16 AM MST:

This Mt. Dew must have affected my brain!

How could I have forgotten to list the Kings of the Hill?

Bill Beatty & Brian Beatty, the 1 - 2 punch of northwest Indiana.

If they don’t qualify as Celebs of FIRST, I don’t know who does.

Joe J.

P.S. Car Nack (Bill’s alter ego – see message below) deserves a special celeb. catagory all to himself.

Posted by colleen.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Coach on team #246, Blue Light Special, from John D. O’Byrant High School/Boston Latin Academy and NSTAR/Boston University/UTC/Raytheon/MassPEP.

Posted on 8/31/2000 12:33 PM MST

In Reply to: Re: Thanks! Many More! posted by Andy Grady on 8/31/2000 9:16 AM MST:

Hey Andy(s)!

Baker-version: thanks for the include on your list… i’m honored… it’s guys like yourself, Mr.B and Ron (team 23), Moe (88), Joe J and Mike Martus (47), Jorge (126), Ken (190)… i could go on forever… that make the great models for us college kids so we can be good mentors to ‘our kids’ when the time comes along…

skrach 'n snif-version: you’d be a killer kid to coach with and you were always the best to practice driving against… you know that… i have to agree with the list that Andy posted on college kids… but also tack Kate Leach and Jon Abad of 190 onto that one… (rumor has it that WPI has become flooded with FIRSTers for the 2K1 games… i’d watch out if i were everyone!)… also… Steve Shade of T7… and did you mention Nate??

I think everyone in FIRST has a got a bit of ‘celebrity’ in them… maybe the majority of us won’t have 15minutes of world or even national fame… but we’re all working hard to make a major difference in this world… everyone in FIRST is a celebrity and hero…

Posted by Lora Knepper.

Other on team #419, Rambots, from UMass Boston / BC High and NASA, Mathsoft, Solidworks, Analog Devices.

Posted on 8/31/2000 4:57 PM MST

After thinking all day, I’ve got some more to add to the list too…ranging from adults to college students to high school students (some that just entered college).

-Tammy Trimble (FIRST)
-Charlie Rigdon (222)
-Brian Savitt (56)
-Andrew Rudolph (212)
-Tom Schindler (177)
-Jesse Wilkinson (177)
-Justin Tresvik (142 alumni)
-Kirsten Saur (177)
-Matt Leese (7)

and I have to agree totally with these people that were already mentioned:

-Colleen Shaver
-Andy Grady
-Kate Leach
-Jon Abad
-Nate Smith (can I use your programming skills again in 2001??? =)
-Daniel Lehrbaum
-Steve Shade

And I’d have to add the entire BUZZ team (175) for all they do to promote FIRST and help out other teams…same goes for team 237, the SIE-H2O Bots for their part sharing.

Now I’m fairly certain I’ve forgotten people…but I could go on forever, so I hope you all keep adding to the list =)

Lora

Posted by Nate Smith.

Other on team #66, GM Powertrain/Willow Run HS, from Eastern Michigan University and GM Powertrain.

Posted on 9/1/2000 5:43 AM MST

In Reply to: Suddenly Remember More =) posted by Lora Knepper on 8/31/2000 4:57 PM MST:

: -Nate Smith (can I use your programming skills again in 2001??? =)

As always, my services will be available to anyone who needs a hand…just a few things I have on the horizon:
-new web-based scouting entry/viewing system(Yes, it hooks directly into the Access DB)
-a new dashboard OCX that all but eliminates crashes if the display loop is too slow(those of you who used the code, esp. Nate Custer from team 470, know what i’m talking about)
-and whatever else i can come up with between now and competition… =)

Nate

Posted by -Lori.

Other on team Team Player from FIRST.

Posted on 9/5/2000 8:47 AM MST

To be mentioned on this list is quite an honor…thank you Andy!

Keep up the great work…prepare for an awesome season this year! It’s gonna be a GREAT one!
My best…
-Lori- :slight_smile:

Posted by S. Krussell.

Coach on team #349, Robahamas, from International Academy and Ford Motor Co…

Posted on 8/31/2000 5:57 PM MST

In Reply to: Question of the Day…??? posted by Anton Abaya on 8/31/2000 1:17 AM MST:

You rule, Dave!

Posted by Erin.

Other on team #1, The Juggernauts, from Oakland Tech NE and 3-Dimensional Services.

Posted on 9/2/2000 7:29 PM MST

Erin here from the Public Relations end of things (it isn’t all engineering, folks)…

*Mike Martus of 47
*Kyle Hughes of 27 (seriously, how did any of you forget her)
*Anthony Lapp of 221 (Ok, how many teams did this kid pioneer?)
*Sue Krussell of 349(one of the most well-known here is Oakland County)
*Mike McIntyre of 1 (my personal hero)
*Ken Patton of 65
*Engineer Dave of Aces High, 176
*Nate Smith of 66 (One awesome kid, makes the attempt to keep FIRST alive year round, if only everyone was so dedicated outside of the internet)
*Greg Mills of 16
*Every adult from 71 (I have reasoning for this, I mean, more adults from that team went to the BOMB than kids, and boy, they are some seriously passionate people. They could convince you in 5 minutes that they have the best team in the nation. I came pretty close to being won-over.)
*Andy Baker (Not only is a big part of TechnoKats winning force, but also threw a big party for FIRSTers after the IRI, how cool is that?)

Not only are these and many more the adults who give up time to be with kids and help them build stronger futures, and not only are they the ones we have so belittlingly refered to as mere ‘celebrities’ of today’s FIRST world. These people are the ones that each of us should strive to be like, those who are the role models, those who we should look up to and hopefully one day try to replace as we make our way in this world. To simply call them celebrities would be doing a great injustice not only them but to everyone.

I have a better question- who are the role models from your teams? Take a moment and thank those that have helped you on your quest to becoming a more fundamental part of society.

-Erin

Posted by Nate Smith.

Other on team #66, GM Powertrain/Willow Run HS, from Eastern Michigan University and GM Powertrain.

Posted on 9/2/2000 8:50 PM MST

In Reply to: An even better question… posted by Erin on 9/2/2000 7:29 PM MST:

: *Nate Smith of 66 (One awesome kid, makes the attempt to keep FIRST alive year round, if only everyone was so dedicated outside of the internet)

Among other things, this comment wouldn’t have anything to do with the ‘little’ side trip I made a few weeks back, would it? =)

Nate

Posted by Erin.

Other on team #1, The Juggernauts, from OTC-NE and 3-Dimensional Services.

Posted on 9/5/2000 7:12 AM MST

In Reply to: Re: An even better question… posted by Nate Smith on 9/2/2000 8:50 PM MST:

yeah, the little 3 or more hour side trip to coe pick me up!!! hehe

nate you rock. keep the spirit alive dude!

-erin

Posted by Nate Smith.

Posted on 9/5/2000 9:49 PM MST

In Reply to: Re: An even better question… posted by Erin on 9/5/2000 7:12 AM MST:

: yeah, the little 3 or more hour side trip to coe pick me up!!! hehe

: nate you rock. keep the spirit alive dude!

: -erin

Yep…that’s the same one that I was thinking of…hehe =)

Nate