QUESTION OF THE WEEK!

Posted by Andy Grady.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Other on team in limbo from in limbo sponsored by in limbo.

Posted on 7/9/2000 6:13 PM MST

Hi all,
In order to fight boredom on a rainy sunday afternoon, I have taken it upon myself to try to get the board kickin a little bit. Thus I invent the question of the week. So lets see if this works, and if we can get our tired, summer infested minds working again!

Question 7/9/00:
Which team you have played would you consider the most agressive team?

personally, I have 2 (due to the fact that i have been on 2 different teams) My first one, would be team 121 Naval Undersea Warfare Center and Middletown High School. To this day I have nightmares of their robot in 1997 tipping over our robot in the semi’s in New England, and i know im not the only one who has nightmares about them that year (team 88 im sure you agree with me on this. Anyway, every year they seem to go the extra mile when it comes to being agressive.
Second would be team 45 Delphi and Kokomo. Some of the most physical matches my team has ever been in have been against them. I think more parts have fallen off my teams robot in matches with them, than in all other matches combined.
Cya all later,
Andy ‘scratch’ Grady, teams 42-126

Posted by Lora Knepper.

Student on team #69, HYPER (Helping Youth Pursue Engineering & Robotics), from Quincy Public Schools and The Gillette Company.

Posted on 7/10/2000 5:41 AM MST

In Reply to: QUESTION OF THE WEEK! posted by Andy Grady on 7/9/2000 6:13 PM MST:

I will forever have nightmares of the 1999 Clinton bot. shudders Colleen did an excelent job of wiping the floor with my poor baby! =)

Lora

Posted by colleen.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Coach on team #246, a FIRST-aholic, from John D. O’Byrant High School/Boston Latin Academy and NSTAR/Boston University/UTC/Raytheon/MassPEP.

Posted on 7/10/2000 3:34 PM MST

In Reply to: Team 126 Clinton/Nypro posted by Lora Knepper on 7/10/2000 5:41 AM MST:

thanks lora - it was nothing personal :wink:

firmly believe though that the harder the competition, the better all are robots and drivers become… tough robots make you play to higher standards and do that much better in order to win… when you have quality robots opposing you, you have to be more careful about making the little mistakes and judgement calls…

i have to say, some of the toughest 'bots i saw in 3 years of driving came against on the road to the finals at the New England regional last year… 69 and 177 came down to 4 matches!! (4 times our tower was slammed around and my stomach did a whirl)… all of our best-of-three were played to three… but we did better cause our competitors forced us to rise to the occasion…

my votes on some of the most agressive teams of the past (and/or solely 99 and 2000) would be 177 and 190…

Posted by Erin.

Student on team #1, The Juggernauts, from Oakland Technical Center-Northeast Campus and 3-Dimensional Services.

Posted on 7/10/2000 10:34 AM MST

In Reply to: QUESTION OF THE WEEK! posted by Andy Grady on 7/9/2000 6:13 PM MST:

I would have to say, for the 1999 season, definitely T3- Truck Town Terror. They put up one HECK of a fight at the 1999 West Michigan Robotics Competition. HotBot had a hard time up against the, and they had us scared to death. They fought a hard and good battle.

In 2000, I would have to say that Chief Delphi takes the cake. Of course, I am speaking for my region. They were always a big contender for our ‘most challenging opponent’ award. I think anyone who went to GLR or Motorola Midwest or even the IRI would agree- even with only one motor, they are one hard-to-defeat and to beat team.

-Erin

Posted by Brian .

Student on team #56, Robbe Xtreme, from Bound Brook High School and Ethicon Inc…

Posted on 7/10/2000 10:48 AM MST

In Reply to: Re: QUESTION OF THE WEEK! posted by Erin on 7/10/2000 10:34 AM MST:

Erin,

I would have to agree with you on this one, because we allied with them in the Philly competition in 99 and we were knocked over by team 177 ( our alliance partner in FL, funny how things work) and T3 knocked 177 over picked up a floppy and won the game 2-0 the puck was on the opposite side of the field, just my 2 cents

Brian

Posted by Justin Ridley.

Engineer on team #221, MI Roboworks, from Michigan Technological University.

Posted on 7/10/2000 3:38 PM MST

Overall I think GM Truck, team 68 is one of the most aggresive teams in the competition. Always have been, always will. Last year they were particulary aggresive. I remember hearing thier machine called the ‘Devil Bot’. They tore some teams up, that’s for sure. And while some didn’t like it too much, they would get the job done. Thier aggresivness pays off and they build robots that can take the punishment.

Posted by Mike Kulibaba.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Other on team #88, TJ², from Bridgewater-Raynham Regional and Depuy, a Johnson and Johnson Company.

Posted on 7/11/2000 8:52 PM MST

‘My first one, would be team 121 Naval Undersea Warfare Center and Middletown High School. To this day I have nightmares of their robot in 1997 tipping over our robot in the semi’s in New England, and i know im not the only one who has nightmares about them that year (team 88 im sure you agree with me on this. Anyway, every year they seem to go the extra mile when it comes to being agressive.’

Andy Andy Andy, you wanna talk about nightmares, every time I close my eyes I see my favorite robot that my team has built in their existance of FIRST(going into year 6) going down and having the arm completely broken off. and I mean completly shattered with no hope of repair. it still makes me want to cry everytime I see the image of our robot being extended about 13-14 feet in the air and coming crashing down. It hurt me for a year, I hate to admit this but I had a gruge against them all of 1998. I am over it now but don’t get me wrong the image is always fresh in my mind I even think they had it on their website for a while. if they still have it go check it out…But we all move on. did I mention that was my favorite robot ever…

Kuli Team 88