QUESTION OF THE WEEK!!!

Posted by Andy Grady.

Other on team in limbo from in limbo sponsored by in limbo.

Posted on 10/9/2000 7:38 AM MST

Hi all, sorry for the late question as I was away for the weekend…

Question 10/9/00: Do you think that the restrictions on materials used have become too light or do you like the more relaxed rules on materials?

Posted by Jason Iannuzzi.

Engineer on team #11, Marauders, from Mt. Olive HS. and BASF, Rame Hart, CCM.

Posted on 10/9/2000 11:22 AM MST

In Reply to: QUESTION OF THE WEEK!!! posted by Andy Grady on 10/9/2000 7:38 AM MST:

The new rules meant one thing: we could now spend our time designing for the game instead of designing around the rules.

I think it would be a disaster if they reinstituted the old rules. New teams and small teams suffer the most.

Posted by Samuel Lindhorst.

Engineer on team #240, Mach Vee, from Jefferson High School and Visteon.

Posted on 10/9/2000 11:53 PM MST

In Reply to: QUESTION OF THE WEEK!!! posted by Andy Grady on 10/9/2000 7:38 AM MST:

: Hi all, sorry for the late question as I was away for the weekend…

: Question 10/9/00: Do you think that the restrictions on materials used have become too light or do you like the more relaxed rules on materials?

Yes. I think fewer restrictions on the materials, while keeping restrictions on the weight are much more typically ‘real world’ problems than a short list of materials to build from. The weight restriction does a pretty good job of keeping the process disciplined.

Sam

Posted by Michael Martus.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Coach on team #47, Chief Delphi, from Pontiac Central H.S. and Delphi Automotives Systems.

Posted on 10/10/2000 6:22 PM MST

Open materals list allows for creativity in robot design. Having many similar robots is not good. Open materials list also helps the smaller teams find and purchase materials.

Weight/size limits will keep us crazy people under control :slight_smile:

Posted by Erin.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Other on team ? from ? sponsored by ?.

Posted on 10/11/2000 9:34 AM MST

Personally, I think that more relaxed rules with materials are the key to having a wide variety of robot designs and we see robots with a wide array of capabilities as well. I believe that the rules for 2000 were very open-ended, however, we all know that it could change from year-to-year. I think that I would like to see SMC put some more pneumatics up in the kit. I think that it would really expand everyone’s horizons to be able to incorporate pnuematics devices more into the design and operation of their robot. Although sometimes heavy, expensive, and sometimes hard to work with, I would love to see how the hundereds of different teams would utilize them in design.

I have a good question for next week Andy- how many of you people used the pneumatics on your robot and what exactly did they function as? was their performace reliable? would you use them again? are they efficient? did the students work well with them?
I’d like to know.

-Erin