QUESTION OF THE WEEK!!!

Posted by Andy Grady.

Other on team in limbo from in limbo sponsored by in limbo.

Posted on 10/15/2000 7:35 AM MST

Hi all, time again for the question of the week, enjoy…

Question 10/15/00: Do you think the main stage in florida should be set up in a different way. For instance should the seating arangements be changed, should a tent be put around it, etc…?

Posted by Nate Smith.

Other on team #66, GM Powertrain/Willow Run HS, from Eastern Michigan University and GM Powertrain.

Posted on 10/15/2000 8:06 AM MST

In Reply to: QUESTION OF THE WEEK!!! posted by Andy Grady on 10/15/2000 7:35 AM MST:

: Hi all, time again for the question of the week, enjoy…

: Question 10/15/00: Do you think the main stage in florida should be set up in a different way. For instance should the seating arangements be changed, should a tent be put around it, etc…?

Considering the size that the main stage has to be, it would most likely be more trouble than it was worth to have the entire thing(stage, bleachers, etc.) enclosed in a VERY large tent…

Also, I know it has been brought up in the past of having a more ‘stadium-style’ seating arrangement for the main stage. At the same time, however, it has to be considered that in the interest of being able to continue the matches without damage to the robots in the event of less-than-perfect weather, it is important that the playing field area still be adequately covered. Because of this requirement, it would be very hard to set up a different style of seating arrangement where all spectators would be able to see.

What about this though…with the three fields that were in the smaller tent this year, what if they were to have the entry for the robots at one end of the tent rather than along a side, then have designated paths behind the bleachers from the entry point to an opening in the bleachers for a specific playing field. While I’m sure there would have to be a few traffic control problems with this setup, I’m envisioning that it would allow bleachers to be set up on both sides of the playing field, rather than one side being dedicated for team queuing like it was this past year…

Nate

Posted by Jason Rudolph.

Other on team #459, , from University of Florida/Eastside High School and .

Posted on 10/15/2000 1:49 PM MST

In Reply to: Would it be nice? Yes…Is it possible? well… posted by Nate Smith on 10/15/2000 8:06 AM MST:

Well, maybe, but then the smaller tents would have to be bigger. There was definitely more space on the side where the bleachers were than there was on the side set up for team queing. I doubt if there was enough room on that side for more bleachers.

What I think they should do, is instead of having indoor fields, just have covered fields/seating. I live in Florida, and the main problem people have outside is being in the sun. If instead of having indoor air conditioned fields, they could set up a normal field, with covered seating, so you wont be in the sun, you’d still be outside though, but that is easy to do, as long as you’re not in the direct sunlight. Then, for the same amount of money as an air conditioned field, they could have a field with much more seating.

Posted by Samuel Lindhorst.

Engineer on team #240, Mach Vee, from Jefferson High School and Visteon.

Posted on 10/15/2000 1:57 PM MST

In Reply to: Re: Would it be nice? Yes…Is it possible? well… posted by Jason Rudolph on 10/15/2000 1:49 PM MST:

I think they’re worried about wind getting under the canopy and taking the whole thing for a romp through several thousand customer’s cars in the Epcot parking lot. That’s why the tents have sides, IMHO.

Posted by David Kelso.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Coach on team #131, C.H.A.O.S.-, from Central High School and OSRAM SYLVANIA/ Fleet .

Posted on 10/15/2000 10:20 AM MST

In Reply to: QUESTION OF THE WEEK!!! posted by Andy Grady on 10/15/2000 7:35 AM MST:

Something really needs to be done. I remember the chants last year during the playoffs ‘move the cameras’ ‘we can’t see’…and this was from the people right in front of the stage. The ‘stand’ for team photographers was a good improvement. But in reality, I thank NASA, NICK and GM. With out their video, I would not know what happened during most of the finals matches!!! (Of course those camera people were the ones in the way.)

Posted by Meg Z…

Student on team #349, Robahamas, from International Academy and Ford Motor Co…

Posted on 10/15/2000 12:53 PM MST

In Reply to: Re: QUESTION OF THE WEEK!!! posted by David Kelso on 10/15/2000 10:20 AM MST:

: Something really needs to be done. I remember the chants last year during the playoffs ‘move the cameras’ ‘we can’t see’…and this was from the people right in front of the stage

I was one of the many to be totally blocked by the ‘official’ camera people…The problem with their film is that, well, why watch it on the screen when you can watch it in real life, except that they’re in front of you all the time so you have no options. The official camera people should be behind the field rather than in front of it, because otherwise they’re nothing but a nuisance. We’re there to watch and tape our robots playing, not camera people’s behinds!!!

Meg :slight_smile:

Posted by nick237.

Engineer on team #237, sie h2o bots, from Watertown high school ct and sieman co.

Posted on 10/15/2000 7:06 PM MST

In Reply to: Re: QUESTION OF THE WEEK!!! posted by Meg Z. on 10/15/2000 12:53 PM MST:

The last few games were a shambles, I for one was looking forward to viewing the finals free and clear of multi Butts parading across the front of the stage.
I feel that its important to televise the games to the world but not at the viewing expense of the teams that have paid for and been working a year for the privilege of seeing the finals uninterrupted.
If FIRST wants to have the media there to cover the games then the cameras should be placed on the back side of the stage, think of the view they would have with the Robots in the for ground and thousands of screaming team fans in the back ground ’ wow what a sight '.
Cameras with telephoto lenses could be placed in the stands at the back and they could even mount a camera on a moving cable above the arena ( they do at football games ).
Next year if the view is blocked lets shout ’ MOVE YOUR A** ’ not ’ WE CANT SEE ’
nick

: : Something really needs to be done. I remember the chants last year during the playoffs ‘move the cameras’ ‘we can’t see’…and this was from the people right in front of the stage

: I was one of the many to be totally blocked by the ‘official’ camera people…The problem with their film is that, well, why watch it on the screen when you can watch it in real life, except that they’re in front of you all the time so you have no options. The official camera people should be behind the field rather than in front of it, because otherwise they’re nothing but a nuisance. We’re there to watch and tape our robots playing, not camera people’s behinds!!!

: Meg :slight_smile:
: 349

Posted by Meg Z…

Student on team #349, Robahamas, from International Academy and Ford Motor Co…

Posted on 10/16/2000 5:32 PM MST

In Reply to: Re: QUESTION OF THE WEEK!!! posted by nick237 on 10/15/2000 7:06 PM MST:

: Next year if the view is blocked lets shout ’ MOVE YOUR A** ’ not ’ WE CANT SEE ’

I will be right there shouting with you!
Meg :slight_smile:

Posted by Andy Grady.

Other on team in limbo from in limbo sponsored by in limbo.

Posted on 10/15/2000 7:19 PM MST

Yeah, its pretty bad when you were standing right in the front row, next to the stage and still couldn’t see the robots because of the media people. Not fun, now imagine being a few rows back, when about a hundred people were in your way, along with the media people! Ok, I know i sound like a broken record, but there has to be a way to pull off stadium seating of some sort on the main stage, HELL WE ARE ENGINEERS, WE ARE PAID TO DO THIS!!! Any suggestions? =)
Peace out,
Andy Grady

Posted by Mike Kulibaba.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Other on team #88, TJ², from Bridgewater-Raynham Regional and Depuy, a Johnson and Johnson Company.

Posted on 10/15/2000 9:34 PM MST

I know some of you or most of you aren’t big into wrestling but maybe if we put the stage in the middle of the stadium and put chairs around it, it could solve some of the problem. Also elevate the stage a few feet so the camera people can stand on the floor at the bottom of the stage and they won’t really be in anyone’s way. you would still need a large stadium with seats on all 4 sides to get eveyone to be able to sit there and watch but just like at any event the lower seats are going to be better then the higher seats. We could also put a big screen above everything so people who were up high could see the game if they can’t see it from their seats. I know it doesn’t sound too logical but it’s a thought… If anyone knows what I’m talking about and can expand on it clearly please do. I’m not too articulate.

Kuli

Posted by David Kelly.

Student on team #234, Cyber Blue, from Perry Meridian H. S. and Rolls-Royce.

Posted on 10/16/2000 2:25 PM MST

In Reply to: Re: what about seating like that at a wreslting event posted by Mike Kulibaba on 10/15/2000 9:34 PM MST:

Good Idea

Having seating like a wrestling event would be awesome. There would hardly be a bad seat in the house. If you can’t see you could just look over to the Titan Tron and watch the action. The camera crews wouldn’t be in our way and so you could get better video footage and photos.

David Kelly
Team Captain

Posted by David Kelly.

Student on team #234, Cyber Blue, from Perry Meridian H. S. and Rolls-Royce.

Posted on 10/16/2000 2:26 PM MST

In Reply to: Re: what about seating like that at a wreslting event posted by Mike Kulibaba on 10/15/2000 9:34 PM MST:

Good Idea

Having seating like a wrestling event would be awesome. There would hardly be a bad seat in the house. If you can’t see you could just look over to the Titan Tron and watch the action. The camera crews wouldn’t be in our way and so you could get better video footage and photos.

David Kelly
Team Captain

Posted by Jessica Boucher.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Student on team #237, Sie-H2O-Bots, from Watertown High School and Eastern Awning Systems & The Siemon Company.

Posted on 10/16/2000 12:59 PM MST

Oh, geez, this was certainly a doozie of a question, you seem to have struck a chord among all of us…but reading all this is strange, because I come from a different perspective.

My official title was ‘national student public relations assistant’. The job was offered up to all FIRST-students in one of the team updates; for numerous reasons I jumped at the chance. This meant that I was to volunteer as much time as possible during Nats in the media tent, instead of hanging out with my team. I was helping out about a dozen students with the same title making faxes, walking around guests, coordinating media events, signing out photo passes to teams, and watching the media platform. We were considered crew.

Now, I know people were complaining about the problem with the media crews. As far as I can remember, there were crews from ABC, NBC, Associated Press, Nick & CNN there. This is more media than we have ever had.

I urge you to remember that FIRST is a growing and changing association. This was the first time that so much media came, and as prepared as we were, noone was expecting the things that happened. We weren’t expecting the Nick crews to be flooded so badly by kids that they couldn’t do their job and had to be given Crew shirts so they would blend in. We weren’t expecting the CNN crews wanting to do an interview in front of the FIRST flag, thus pushing teams away that wanted their picture taken ‘right then and no other time but then’ (even though we told them that they could wait 5-10 minutes or wait in line on the other side of the flag). We weren’t expecting the ABC crews to have a case of ‘wandering fever’ and leave their tripods all over the place. But, we made the best with what we had.

My point; isn’t the reason why FIRST has team forums and encourages feedback is to have the chance to find out what not to do and how to fix it? Yes, this season had more media than ever; yes, we tried a few different things to create a medium between media coverage and team viewing (hence the reason for the media platform and team photo passes). Yes, things weren’t great, but they will get better.

Its give and take, people. The crowd sparks the attention and the attention creates larger crowds. And isn’t more media what most of us really want? This was the first year of trying something new and I’m sorry viewing wasn’t that great, but I believe that it will be handled by FIRST for next year, if not figured out already.

-Jess Boucher, #237

Posted by nick237.

Engineer on team #237, sie h2o bots, from Watertown high school ct and sieman co.

Posted on 10/16/2000 9:25 PM MST

In Reply to: A different perspective… posted by Jessica Boucher on 10/16/2000 12:59 PM MST:

Sorry Jess. I dont agree. The news media are there for us, we are not there for them, and if you think about it I dont recall hearing or seeing any footage from any news media this year about the FIRST competition on any T.V. station ever.
You have to remember that I work in the news media circle and know that some of the most obnoxious selfish people any where are camera men and news reporters. There is a simple matter of courtesy, and the camera people didn’t give a ‘hoot’ if we the people could see or not see, and if the crowd had rioted then they would have reported a different news story???
Remember that if you need news coverage in a hurry then produce a dead body and they the media ) race out of the wood work.
When the Olympic games are being held do you see camera men standing under the pole vault or in the center of the hundred meters finals. courtesy Jess, courtesy

: Oh, geez, this was certainly a doozie of a question, you seem to have struck a chord among all of us…but reading all this is strange, because I come from a different perspective.

: My official title was ‘national student public relations assistant’. The job was offered up to all FIRST-students in one of the team updates; for numerous reasons I jumped at the chance. This meant that I was to volunteer as much time as possible during Nats in the media tent, instead of hanging out with my team. I was helping out about a dozen students with the same title making faxes, walking around guests, coordinating media events, signing out photo passes to teams, and watching the media platform. We were considered crew.

: Now, I know people were complaining about the problem with the media crews. As far as I can remember, there were crews from ABC, NBC, Associated Press, Nick & CNN there. This is more media than we have ever had.

: I urge you to remember that FIRST is a growing and changing association. This was the first time that so much media came, and as prepared as we were, noone was expecting the things that happened. We weren’t expecting the Nick crews to be flooded so badly by kids that they couldn’t do their job and had to be given Crew shirts so they would blend in. We weren’t expecting the CNN crews wanting to do an interview in front of the FIRST flag, thus pushing teams away that wanted their picture taken ‘right then and no other time but then’ (even though we told them that they could wait 5-10 minutes or wait in line on the other side of the flag). We weren’t expecting the ABC crews to have a case of ‘wandering fever’ and leave their tripods all over the place. But, we made the best with what we had.

: My point; isn’t the reason why FIRST has team forums and encourages feedback is to have the chance to find out what not to do and how to fix it? Yes, this season had more media than ever; yes, we tried a few different things to create a medium between media coverage and team viewing (hence the reason for the media platform and team photo passes). Yes, things weren’t great, but they will get better.

: Its give and take, people. The crowd sparks the attention and the attention creates larger crowds. And isn’t more media what most of us really want? This was the first year of trying something new and I’m sorry viewing wasn’t that great, but I believe that it will be handled by FIRST for next year, if not figured out already.

: -Jess Boucher, #237

Posted by Jessica Boucher.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Student on team #237, Sie-H2O-Bots, from Watertown High School and Eastern Awning Systems & The Siemon Company.

Posted on 10/17/2000 12:45 PM MST

In Reply to: Re: A different perspective… posted by nick237 on 10/16/2000 9:25 PM MST:

: Sorry Jess. I dont agree. The news media are there for us, we are not there for them, and if you think about it I dont recall hearing or seeing any footage from any news media this year about the FIRST competition on any T.V. station ever.

Ok, first of all, what I meant was that FIRST, like it or not, is a human-interest story. Because we are all there, doing something positive, the media came to see it. Their coverage, in turn, is seen by people that know nothing about FIRST, people that might find out more information and be future FIRST-a-holics like the rest of us. Plus, most (if not all) of the footage taken there was used either that day (therefore we wouldn’t see it), or is being saved for something later.

: You have to remember that I work in the news media circle and know that some of the most obnoxious selfish people any where are camera men and news reporters. There is a simple matter of courtesy, and the camera people didn’t give a ‘hoot’ if we the people could see or not see, and if the crowd had rioted then they would have reported a different news story???

Yes, I know you work in the media and I agree that they can be selfish and obnoxious, just as everyone else can be. And if they’re so obnoxious, then they’re not going to be curteous. But what happened happened, and though we didnt like it, that doesnt mean nothing’s being done to fix it. I’m sure FIRST is working on something to alleviate the problems.

-Jess Boucher

Posted by colleen.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Coach on team #246, Blue Light Special, from John D. O’Byrant High School/Boston Latin Academy and NSTAR/Boston University/UTC/Raytheon/MassPEP.

Posted on 10/16/2000 1:39 PM MST

How 'bout less the main stage… and more all the stages?

As Andy and others know from our discussion at dinner the other night-- I say it was a nice try with the tents and indoor stages… but I think so much was lost that Disney/FIRST should save the money and go back to the old ways of having everything outside…

Yes, I’ve sat in the blistering sun for hours… I’ve sweat, I’ve burnt…
To me… that’s part of what makes it…

The inside was small… dark… teams were getting scooted around… sit here, come in there, go out this way, don’t hold that up, sit down…etc… people were just hanging inside cause it was AC-ed and then teams couldn’t get good spots to see or were being asked to sit when their teams were playing, etc… so much of the match excitement was lost… and 3 fields going right there at once took attention away from each match…

If everything was back outside we could compromise to get the best of both worlds… other than the Main Stage (Einstein)… the other stages could be lower so that people doing scouting/strategy can see easier without being waaaay up in the stands… and the cover of the stages/fields could be extended as to shade the first few rows of ground seating so people could be there to be out of the sun…

this way-- more teams would stick outside and bring back the ‘party atmosphere’ that once existed… outside if people are running around, dancing, cheering and having a blast, no one’s complaining whereas it was often a problem inside…

As someone said at the team forum… there’s just some ‘feeling’ about playing outside on the stage in front of everyone… some teams only had one shot if any to do that… if all the stages are back outside with the stands… you get that feel all over again without having to worry about trying to get every team scheduled on Einstein…

I thought so much was lost having it all inside… if anything… extend the pits more so more people can be in that airconditioning if that’s peoples main concern…

it’s Florida… it’s Disney… it’s suuuuppposed to be hot and sunny… :slight_smile:

Posted by Joe Johnson.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Engineer on team #47, Chief Delphi, from Pontiac Central High School and Delphi Automotive Systems.

Posted on 10/16/2000 3:35 PM MST

In Reply to: Bring it all back outside! posted by colleen on 10/16/2000 1:39 PM MST:

While I respect my fine colleague from New England, I respectfully disagree about the inside/outside issue.

In my opinion, FIRST should go the other way if anything, and put ALL the stages indoors, saving the main stage for the Finals only.

Yes, there could be improvements to the set up that they had indoors, but overall, I believe that the indoor arenas were a major step forward.

My two cents.

Joe J.

Posted by Lora Knepper.

Other on team #419, Rambots, from UMass Boston / BC High and NASA, Mathsoft, Solidworks, Analog Devices.

Posted on 10/16/2000 7:05 PM MST

In Reply to: I rise in opposition… posted by Joe Johnson on 10/16/2000 3:35 PM MST:

: In my opinion, FIRST should go the other way if anything, and put ALL the stages indoors, saving the main stage for the Finals only.

shudders

There’s a nightmare I hate to imagine! Those 3 indoor fields were a nightmare, and I didn’t have to deal with the viewing side of things.

As a driver, having the 3 indoor fields (on which my previous team played on exclusively) was a pain to put lightly. There was so much noise from the other 2 fields, it was difficult to tell what sounds were for your match, and what were from others around you. Also, it made it near impossible to communicate with coaches, so forget talking to your alliance for on the fly strategy changes. Also the lighting was horrible at times, making some viewing difficult…

My team complained about the viewing, and I know that I’d have to agree with them on the times that I was out scouting or cheering for friends. I enjoyed sitting in the sun during the day, though maybe if they did add a bit to the pit tent for those that need to get out of the sun for a bit like Colleen said. In anycase I PLEA to FIRST to please bring Nationals outdoors again!!!

Just my 2 cents…

Lora

Posted by Mike Kulibaba.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Other on team #88, TJ², from Bridgewater-Raynham Regional and Depuy, a Johnson and Johnson Company.

Posted on 10/16/2000 7:52 PM MST

In Reply to: Nationals Outdoors Again Please!! posted by Lora Knepper on 10/16/2000 7:05 PM MST:

I have to agree with Joe that I think the 3 arenas they had inside were a big step forward and it was a good trial and error period. But what if they make that tent wider on all sides and put seating on all 4 sides of each arena. If you have seating on all 4 sides it would allow for more people to watch the event and not be so crowded. But they would need alot of seats on each side. I don’t know how many but I think it could work. but I enjoyed being inside, it was crowded and there wasn’t enough seats but I liked it better.

Kuli Team 88

Posted by Bill Beatty.

Other on team #71, Team Hammond, from Team Hammond.

Posted on 10/18/2000 8:58 AM MST

In Reply to: I’m on Joe’s side posted by Mike Kulibaba on 10/16/2000 7:52 PM MST:

How about moving the competition to a nearby indoor stadium. I would rather have a comfortable, good viewing arrangement at the expense of convenience for accessibility to the park. A pit tent and some auxiliary tents would be required, but all the viewing could be in the stadium or in air-conditioned tents with the semis and finals and awards in the stadium. Disney could apply their resources to the people moving problem instead of building a million dollar outdoor arena. The competition should take precedence over the park.

While we are on this subject, another suggestion is to have both semi-finals on the main stage. There is much dead time between matches and all of the final four should compete on the main stage. It would add very little, if any, time to the event.

Bill B