QUESTION OF THE WEEK!!!

Posted by Andy Grady.

Other on team in limbo from in limbo sponsored by in limbo.

Posted on 10/22/2000 5:20 AM MST

Hi all, question time again, so here it is:

Question 10/22/00: Do you feel that bumpers did anything to change the game in a positive or negative way? Did they really effect anything?

Posted by Nate Smith.

Other on team #66, GM Powertrain/Willow Run HS, from Eastern Michigan University and GM Powertrain.

Posted on 10/22/2000 9:42 AM MST

In Reply to: QUESTION OF THE WEEK!!! posted by Andy Grady on 10/22/2000 5:20 AM MST:

: Hi all, question time again, so here it is:

: Question 10/22/00: Do you feel that bumpers did anything to change the game in a positive or negative way? Did they really effect anything?

Based on the matches I saw between Great Lakes, Midwest, and the few that I was able to watch down in Florida, very few teams seemed to even use the bumpers, and those that did(with the exception of a few teams such as Chief Delphi) didn’t seem to interact with the other machines that much anyway. So other than allowing teams to put electrical components closer to the edges of the 30x36 footprint without worrying about damage, I don’t see where they effected the game much at all…

Nate

Posted by Samuel Lindhorst.

Engineer on team #240, Mach Vee, from Jefferson High School and Visteon.

Posted on 10/22/2000 11:00 AM MST

In Reply to: Bumpers? What Bumpers? posted by Nate Smith on 10/22/2000 9:42 AM MST:

What bumpers?

Did anyone use them at all after the Nationals?

Actually, this was a booboo. The dire predictions of robotic disaster were clearly way off the mark. Woody and the crew are going to have to do some tall convincing to get most teams to consider an impact absorption system again. We just dont seem to interact that vigorously, and build well enough to take it…

Sam

Posted by Meg Z…

Student on team #349, Robahamas, from International Academy and Ford Motor Co…

Posted on 10/22/2000 12:42 PM MST

In Reply to: Re: Bumpers? What Bumpers? posted by Samuel Lindhorst on 10/22/2000 11:00 AM MST:

: Did anyone use them at all after the Nationals?

Some teams at the Ford Sweet Repeat (Oct 7) still had bumpers on, and this was a problem since our doors could only handle 30’! The problem with bumpers is the ‘easily removeable’ part, because teams interpret that differently. I think ‘easily removeable’ should be changed to something like the light caps, where a team has to be able to take their bumper off or put it on within one minute. Of course, I wasn’t sure as to the point of the bumpers in the first place, or the point of being able to remove them except that they were outside the size limit. I’d be for just getting rid of them.
Meg :slight_smile:

Posted by Joe Johnson.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Engineer on team #47, Chief Delphi, from Pontiac Central High School and Delphi Automotive Systems.

Posted on 10/22/2000 6:35 PM MST

In Reply to: Re: Bumpers? What Bumpers? posted by Meg Z. on 10/22/2000 12:42 PM MST:

As one of the teams that actually had a bumper last year, I vote that FIRST follow one of the following paths:

Dump the idea entirely.

Allow the space for general purpose used.

We were so paranoid about what was a bumper and what was not, that we made a device that we really were not happy with.

Of the two choices, I suppose dumping them entirely is my preference (Sort of a stop me before I shoot myself again approach).

So sayeth I.

Joe J.

Posted by Matt Ryan.

Student on team #69, HYPER, from Quincy Public Schools and Gillette.

Posted on 10/22/2000 2:25 PM MST

In Reply to: QUESTION OF THE WEEK!!! posted by Andy Grady on 10/22/2000 5:20 AM MST:

No one really used bumpers. I would have to say that bumpers changed little, if anything to change the game, in either a positive or negative way.