QUESTION OF THE WEEK!!!

Posted by Andy Grady.

Other on team in limbo from in limbo sponsored by in limbo.

Posted on 11/12/2000 11:00 AM MST

Hi all, here is this weeks question…

Question 11/12/00: What company would you like to see sponsor the team the most that hasn’t already? Also do you feel that internet companies, (amazon.com, etc…) could be viable sponsors?

Posted by Joe Johnson.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Engineer on team #47, Chief Delphi, from Pontiac Central High School and Delphi Automotive Systems.

Posted on 11/12/2000 3:09 PM MST

In Reply to: QUESTION OF THE WEEK!!! posted by Andy Grady on 11/12/2000 11:00 AM MST:

Is there any doubt about who I would like to see sponsor a team?

Mt. Dew, of course.

Not only will I love having a FIRST team sponsored by a drink that provides me with a significant fraction of my caloric intake (and nearly 100% of my caffine fix), but it would mean FIRST had ‘made it’ in some sense.

Specifically, it would mean that FIRST had become popular enough to register on our cultural radar screens.

So… …Let’s go Team Dew!

Joe J.

Posted by Mike Kulibaba.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Other on team #88, TJ², from Bridgewater-Raynham Regional and Depuy, a Johnson and Johnson Company.

Posted on 11/12/2000 4:35 PM MST

In Reply to: Is there any question… posted by Joe Johnson on 11/12/2000 3:09 PM MST:

I don’t know but they might be some team’s sponsor…I could of swore someone had a lime green shirt on and on the shirt I think it said ‘got first’ on it, it looked like a Mountain dew type thing, I don’t know if they were sponsored of the team but it might be possible, the shirt was very cool, if anyone esle remembers this please let me know I don’t want people to think I’m crazy or anything. January is fast approaching, can’t wait for kickoff

To talk about internet companies sponsoring teams I think it would be great, maybe Amazon or yahoo could have a link right on their web page to FIRST. That would be some very good exposure. I know amazon.com helps out Team 25 by allowing them to put a link on Teams 25 website and if you click on it and then buy something from Amazon.com then Team 25 get a certain percentage of the final cost of your products. It’s a nice little fundraiser, I’m not sure how much money they have made but something is better then nothing, so if anyone buys anything from Amazon, if you would like, you can go through Team 25 Web Page and they will get a % of the total price so you would be helping out a fellow team. When I buy my Playstation 2 I’m going to get it from Amazon unless Santa brings me one.

Good luck to everyone

Kuli Team 88

Posted by Marjory Stager.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Student on team #47, ChiefDelphi, from Pontiac Central and Delphi Automotive Systems.

Posted on 11/12/2000 9:04 PM MST

In Reply to: Re: Is there any question… posted by Mike Kulibaba on 11/12/2000 4:35 PM MST:

I know what team your talking about…that’s team #288 the Robo Dawgs… they were a very powerful team. They were one team i was scared to go up against.

Marjory
(the girl with the BRIGHT orange hair)

Posted by Erin.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Other on team #1, ., from alumni of the juggernauts and …

Posted on 11/13/2000 5:25 AM MST

In Reply to: Re: Is there any question… posted by Marjory Stager on 11/12/2000 9:04 PM MST:

Why is that, Marjory? Even if they knocked all of your balls out of the goal, you just go right up to theirs or back to the floor and make up for any losses they casued you :slight_smile:

My answer for question of the week:

I live near a factory that produces goalie pads, a.k.a. Vaughn Sports. I think it would be great to see them sponsor a team and what ideas that they would have about bumpers on the robots.

I also live near and drive by about 300 other companies that do not yet could sponsor first teams. I think it is a tragedy that so many of these companies resources are going unused!!

That’s my go at it…
erin

Posted by Brian .

Student on team #56, Robbe Xtreme, from Bound Brook High School and Ethicon Inc…

Posted on 11/13/2000 1:57 PM MST

In Reply to: Re: Is there any question… posted by Erin on 11/13/2000 5:25 AM MST:

Yeah Marjory it was team 288 the RoboDawgs sponsored by X-rite or somethign like that and had a remade mountain Dew logo on their shirt…

Brian

Posted by Jessica Boucher.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Student on team #237, Sie-H2O-Bots, from Watertown High School and Eastern Awning Systems & The Siemon Company.

Posted on 11/13/2000 3:42 PM MST

In Reply to: Team 288 posted by Brian on 11/13/2000 1:57 PM MST:

: Yeah Marjory it was team 288 the RoboDawgs sponsored by X-rite or somethign like that and had a remade mountain Dew logo on their shirt…

: Brian

Though, checking their site, aren’t sponsored by them. So, the Dew is still up for grabs.
-Jess B, 237

Posted by Jessica Boucher.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Student on team #237, Sie-H2O-Bots, from Watertown High School and Eastern Awning Systems & The Siemon Company.

Posted on 11/12/2000 4:40 PM MST

In Reply to: Is there any question… posted by Joe Johnson on 11/12/2000 3:09 PM MST:

: So… …Let’s go Team Dew!

I dont know, I think that would make more than a few people jealous…if Dew was to sponsor, it should sponsor an award, not a team…how about the Dew award for enthuasiasm? Wait, no, that infringes on team spirit…um, I dont know, but I’d rather an award.

Let’s say they did sponsor a team, and they got all the publicity attached with being with Dew…what if that team wasn’t that great? I don’t know, just playing devil’s advocate here…

Though I find it kinda funny that when the question is about dotcoms and the first answer is about Dew ::grin::…

-Jess Boucher

Posted by Matt Leese.

Other on team #73 from Edison Technical HS and Rochester Institute of Technology.

Posted on 11/12/2000 5:56 PM MST

One word for you: Pepsi.

Matt

Posted by Andy Grady.

Other on team in limbo from in limbo sponsored by in limbo.

Posted on 11/12/2000 6:02 PM MST

Does anyone remember Procter and Gamble with Walnut Hills High school? Through many of the earlier years of FIRST these guys were known as Sunny D, because Procter and Gamble is the company that produces the wonderful orange drink Sunny Delight. Sunny D being one of the first ever real powerhouses in the game, I would sure love to see that bright orange robot make a return.
cya,
Andy Grady

Posted by David Kelso.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Coach on team #131, C.H.A.O.S.-, from Central High School and OSRAM SYLVANIA/ Fleet .

Posted on 11/12/2000 6:17 PM MST

In Reply to: Bring back Sunny D!!! posted by Andy Grady on 11/12/2000 6:02 PM MST:

I will never forget in 1994, Tower Power. They had a robot that could go out during a practice round and score every one of their balls in 30 SECONDs. It was amazing.

Posted by Matt Leese.

Other on team #73 from Edison Technical HS and Rochester Institute of Technology.

Posted on 11/14/2000 9:24 AM MST

In Reply to: QUESTION OF THE WEEK!!! posted by Andy Grady on 11/12/2000 11:00 AM MST:

Where do I want to see sponsors from in the future? Well, not the internet companies as most of them will be bankrupt in a few years anyway (none of them can make money…). I think that the best place to get money is from more traditional business. I’m talking things like Banks and other charitable givers. I know we are already moving in this direction but a bigger push is what is needed. And yes, Pepsi and Coke fit into this category too. I want to see more companies putting ‘Proud Sponsor of the FIRST Robotics Competition’ in advertisements than have ‘Proud Sponsor of the Olympic Games.’ Those are the kind of sponsors that we need.

Matt