QUESTION OF THE WEEK!!!

Posted by Andy Grady.

Other on team #126, Gael Force, from Clinton High School and Nypro Inc…

Posted on 12/10/2000 10:32 AM MST

Hi all, its time now for the question of the week. Enjoy, have fun, stay out of trouble…

Question 12/10/00: If fluid power was included in the kit for hydrolics, would you utilise them, or do you think they would take up too much space/weight to use?

Posted by Erin.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Other on team #65, Huskie Brigade, from Pontiac Northern High School and GM Powertrain.

Posted on 12/10/2000 11:36 AM MST

In Reply to: QUESTION OF THE WEEK!!! posted by Andy Grady on 12/10/2000 10:32 AM MST:

now hydraulics- heavy, messy, bad choice…as i have said before…

but i think you left out the pneumatics part (dont forget there are two major parts to fluid power- pneumatics and hydraulics).

from my experience, pneumatics is easier- i was lucky enough to work with easy DCV’s and quick-fit tubing (not to mention the gas (air) vs. oil argument)…

i think to the people who effectively utilize the pneumatics- congrats…

but for me- i need more power than that and i think if i had my choice i would just stick with mechanics.

just my thoughts.

erin

Posted by Jason Rudolph.

Other on team #459, , from University of Florida/Eastside High School and .

Posted on 12/10/2000 12:19 PM MST

In Reply to: QUESTION OF THE WEEK!!! posted by Andy Grady on 12/10/2000 10:32 AM MST:

: Hi all, its time now for the question of the week. Enjoy, have fun, stay out of trouble…

: Question 12/10/00: If fluid power was included in the kit for hydrolics, would you utilise them, or do you think they would take up too much space/weight to use?

Well, I think it all depends on the game. If there was a task which the robot had to perform that would be easily achieved through hydrolics, and we could get them to work right, then why the heck not??

Of course, I don’t think that using hydrolics is the best plan, because with the oil, there are MANY possible scenarios for disaster. Think of what would happen if a robot sprung a leak on the carpeted field.

Then, at the same time, introducing hydrolics would be a great learning experience for the students.

Whatever FIRST decides on in the end though, I am sure it is in the best interests of the competition,

Jason

Posted by Joe Johnson.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Engineer on team #47, Chief Delphi, from Pontiac Central High School and Delphi Automotive Systems.

Posted on 12/10/2000 12:32 PM MST

For my money it all comes down to power.

Up to this point, the source of power for pneumatics (and I suppose the same will be true for hydraulics if it ever comes to that) has not been up to the task.

With a light and powerful source of power, I will gladly recommend that we design them into our robot.

Until then, I remain,

Motors & Gears Johnson

Posted by Raul.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Engineer on team #111, Wildstang, from Rolling Meadows & Wheeling HS and Motorola.

Posted on 12/11/2000 5:45 AM MST

In Reply to: Power is all… posted by Joe Johnson on 12/10/2000 12:32 PM MST:

I agree with Joe on this one.

Additionally, the energy transport and control mechanisms in fluid systems also add to the power-to-weight inefficiencies in our applications.

BTW, in fluids, Power = pressure x flow rate.

Raul

: For my money it all comes down to power.

: Up to this point, the source of power for pneumatics (and I suppose the same will be true for hydraulics if it ever comes to that) has not been up to the task.

: With a light and powerful source of power, I will gladly recommend that we design them into our robot.

: Until then, I remain,

: Motors & Gears Johnson

Posted by Brian .

Student on team #56, Robbe Xtreme, from Bound Brook High School and Ethicon Inc…

Posted on 12/10/2000 7:00 PM MST

Robots, chains, and gears oh my!

Sorry just my .02

Brian

Posted by Michael Betts.

Engineer on team #177, Bobcat Robotics, from South Windsor High School and International Fuel Cells.

Posted on 12/11/2000 8:17 AM MST

: Question 12/10/00: If fluid power was included in the kit for hydrolics, would you utilise them, or do you think they would take up too much space/weight to use?

It still comes down to trade offs. The Bobcats have used pneumatics only once in six years (the last time they offered a lightweight pump). The pump has been too heavy, and the mechanisms too few, in the last few years to justify the effort.

Now, if lightweight air motors were included, it could change the decision. End effectors have got to be light and you want the weight down low.

As for hydraulics, assuming that they are light and powerful, they could be a fantastic way to lift an arm and/or end effector.

The cost/benefit (or, in our case, weight/benefit) ration will ultimately decide if it is used or not.

Mike