QUESTION OF THE WEEK!!!

Posted by Andy Grady at 1/7/2001 6:17 PM EST

Other on team #126, Gael Force, from Clinton High School and Nypro Inc…

Hi all, the competition is here and our brains are flyin like a goat from a catapult…here is the question…

Question 1/7/01: What are the positives and negatives of this years game?

good luck,
Andy =)

Posted by Jason “JDoggyDog” Trotter at 1/7/2001 6:32 PM EST

Student on team #191, X-CATS, from Joseph C. Wilson Magnet High School.

In Reply to: QUESTION OF THE WEEK!!!
Posted by Andy Grady on 1/7/2001 6:17 PM EST:

One positive that I found from this year’s competition was that it is definately in the spirit of FIRST. Teams working together as a whole, everyone counting on each other. Also the stretcher- a great way to take advantage of disabled robots.

The one negative that I have is that they went back to balls. I was excited when I saw floppies in 99, and I was hoping for something unique.

My two cents. cha-ching!

Later,
Jason T.

Posted by Jessica Boucher at 1/7/2001 7:33 PM EST

Student on team #237, Sie-H2O-Bots, from Watertown High School and Eastern Awning Systems & The Siemon Company.

In Reply to: Re: QUESTION OF THE WEEK!!!
Posted by Jason on 1/7/2001 6:32 PM EST:

LOVE the stretcher!!! No more “lack of alliance”!

-Jessica B, #237, whos team forgot to make a stretcher for the promo & I made one 5 min before it out of a foam plate :slight_smile:

>Also the stretcher- a great way to take advantage of disabled robots.

Posted by bill whitley at 1/7/2001 6:34 PM EST

Student on team #70, Auto City Bandits, from Powers Catholic High School and Kettering University.

The positive’s list is quite short in my mind and is as follows:

1. the game closer resembles the real world

And now on to the negatives:

1. fewer teams make the playoffs

2. no defense

3. no competition

4. too many aspects from previous years, puts rookie teams at too large a disadvantage

That is whats coming to mind at the moment, I have a feeling there will be more to follow, but dinner is ready. :wink:

Bill

Posted by Ken Leung at 1/7/2001 7:10 PM EST

Student on team #192, Gunn Robotics Team, from Henry M. Gunn Senior High School.

In Reply to: Re: QUESTION OF THE WEEK!!!
Posted by bill whitley on 1/7/2001 6:34 PM EST:

There are quite some positive stuff of this year’s competition…

The bridge is a really challenging aspect of the competition.
Teams working together for a single result.
Division in Nationals to make the circle of influence smaller.

I can’t think of anything other thing, as I only slept for 1.5 hour because of packing and comming back to California from kick-off…

Posted by Brad at 1/7/2001 7:41 PM EST

Student on team #45, Technokats, from Kokomo High School and Delphi Automotive Systems.

I think that the positives of this year in some peoples eyes are hard to find. I think though tha the game is goin to make us think harder that ever before. Think about it…When have we ever had a game like this? Answer: Never! I’m looking forward to seeing all of the creative answers to this game. Another positive thing is the pneumatics in this years kit, they ae wonderful. I think that teams are going to use more pneumatics than ever before.

Now for the negatives. THERE IS NO DEFENSE!! I love defense! I think that it is one of the best aspects in the past competitions. I thnk hat the game this year is going to take some pretty complex systems to make an “All Around” robot. I also think that trying to put four bots on the feild at once all on one team will make communication between partners next to impossible. I think that the game might be a little difficult for some rookie teams. Some have never seen some of the teams that are at these competitons. I know from past years that when a team goes out to win, nobody or nobot is safe. With the bridge, if a bot gets caught uderneath it, it could ruin the rest of the week fot that team.

I’m trying to keep a positive outlook for the competiton beacause this is my senior year and my last year as a Technokat, at least as a student, and becuase our lead engineer Andy Baker has been pretty pumped since he got back from kickoff, so he is spreading it to the rest of the team. Good luck to everyone!!!

Brad

Posted by colleen – T190 at 1/7/2001 9:44 PM EST

Engineer on team #190, Gompei, from Massachusetts Academy of Math and Science and WPI.

Positive: to the naked eye… the field looks really cool…

Negatives:

NO DEFENSE

NO OPPONENTS

NO ACTUAL COMPETITION

other than that… i guess it’s ok :slight_smile: at least there will be some new strategical challenges… plus you’re ability to talk and negociate quickly with 4 teams in 2 mins will test many teams’ skills

Posted by Tim Baird at 1/7/2001 10:45 PM EST

Engineer on team #190, Gompei, from Massachusetts Academy of Math and Science and WPI.

Hey guys,
Just making my debut to the forum and wanted to add some comments. For the positives, I really like the idea of the ramp and the fact that there are two different sizes balls. These two factors will make an interesting competition. However, for the negatives, If you remember last year, Dean made a huge point about robots being “robust”. Well, now there is really no point. Nobody will be hitting, defending, in other words, no competing. That’s all I’ve got for now.
Tim

Posted by Matt Leese at 1/7/2001 11:21 PM EST

Other on team #73 from Edison Technical HS and Alstom & Rochester Institute of Technology.

Positive: No giant ramp so Andy’s wrong in his prediction for the game. :wink:

I just had to say that.

Matt