QUESTION OF THE WEEK!!!

Posted by Andy Grady at 2/18/2001 9:40 AM EST

Other on team #126, Gael Force, from Clinton High School and Nypro Inc…

Hi all, only a few more days left! Here is the question of the week…

Question 2/18/01: What do you think about teams that advertise their robot through fliers, signs, etc…? Good thing or bad?

Posted by Brian at 2/18/2001 9:45 AM EST

Student on team #56, Robbe Xtreme, from Bound Brook High School and Ethicon Inc…

In Reply to: QUESTION OF THE WEEK!!!
Posted by Andy Grady on 2/18/2001 9:40 AM EST:

I think that teams who advertise the CORRECT information about their robot is doing a very good thing, but I say you have to see it to believe it…

Good Luck time is dwindling away

Brian

Posted by Meg Z. at 2/18/2001 4:47 PM EST

Student on team #349, Robahamas, from International Academy and Ford Motor Co…

I don’t like fliers, they’re pretty much a waste of paper (especially if they don’t have the right information). BUT signs can be fun, if they’re creative. I also liked the teams who used video of their robots to advertise (OK, I’m biased because we did this last year). The videos I saw in the pits last year tended to be very fun to watch, and they’re also highly factual (it’s hard to make the video lie about your 'bot).
Meg :slight_smile:

Posted by Erin at 2/18/2001 5:05 PM EST

Other on team #65, Huskie Brigade, from Pontiac Northern High School and GM Powertrain.

Publicity-
A versatile word, not reflecting positive or negative feelings. Eminem- many view him negatively due to ideas portrayed in the publicity, but hey, everyone knows who he is. Marketing is a great example of positive propaganda (read: glittering generalities, bandwagon, etc.).
I believe that anyone who hands out fliers etc. about their robot make an imprint upon the minds of influential people on a team. Even if you don’t pick them, you know about them. Teams who handed out business cards, laminated fliers (team 5 had cool bookmarks that i have like 100 of plus SLINKIES!!)and fliers stick out in my head. I know I helped with the flier in 99 and 00 and it helped :)…
And hey, it’s better than walking around with a cardboard sign that reads “Will strip for alliance”. But hey, that was still publicity, and we all know what that team (cough cough fourninteen!) is.

PR…the other job opportunity FIRST stems into. Hey, we don’t have any marketers for heros either- how many people know who created the “Got Milk?” campaign??

Enough said…
-Erin

Posted by mike oleary at 2/19/2001 11:20 PM EST

Student on team #419, rambots, from bc high.

In Reply to: any publicity is good publicity
Posted by Erin on 2/18/2001 5:05 PM EST:

the funny part is: guess who our driver is this year…give you a hint - he had carried a cardboard sign around
mike

: Publicity-
: A versatile word, not reflecting positive or negative feelings. Eminem- many view him negatively due to ideas portrayed in the publicity, but hey, everyone knows who he is. Marketing is a great example of positive propaganda (read: glittering generalities, bandwagon, etc.).
: I believe that anyone who hands out fliers etc. about their robot make an imprint upon the minds of influential people on a team. Even if you don’t pick them, you know about them. Teams who handed out business cards, laminated fliers (team 5 had cool bookmarks that i have like 100 of plus SLINKIES!!)and fliers stick out in my head. I know I helped with the flier in 99 and 00 and it helped :)…
: And hey, it’s better than walking around with a cardboard sign that reads “Will strip for alliance”. But hey, that was still publicity, and we all know what that team (cough cough fourninteen!) is.

: PR…the other job opportunity FIRST stems into. Hey, we don’t have any marketers for heros either- how many people know who created the “Got Milk?” campaign??

: Enough said…
: -Erin

Posted by Carrie at 2/18/2001 7:32 PM EST

Student on team #27, Team Rush, from OSMTech Academy and Textron.

:Hey All,
This is our first year advertising. I think it is a good idea, plus at nationals last year I did a study that the people that advertised got pick in the finals at nationals. I hope it will help us this year, we had a great bot last year and we didn’t get picked:( but we still had fun :slight_smile:
Happy shipping to everyone!

Hi all, only a few more days left!  Here is the question of the week...

: Question 2/18/01:  What do you think about teams that advertise their robot through fliers, signs, etc...?  Good thing or bad?