QUESTION OF THE WEEK!!!

Posted by Andy Grady at 03/04/2001 7:58 AM EST

Other on team #126, Gael Force, from Clinton High School and Nypro Inc…

Hi all, well two competitions have finally passed, and now people are thinking harder than ever before. So here is the question of the week…

Question 3/4/01: After viewing some of the happenings in the regionals, what is the thing that suprises you the most?

p.s. I just wanted to take this chance to thank everyone at the New England Regional for a great weekend, and a special thanks goes out to teams 501, 177, 69, and 175 for being such wonderful partners.

Posted by Matt Ryan at 03/04/2001 8:04 AM EST

Student on team #69, HYPER, from Quincy Public Schools and Gillette.

In Reply to: QUESTION OF THE WEEK!!!
Posted by Andy Grady on 03/04/2001 7:58 AM EST:

: p.s. I just wanted to take this chance to thank everyone at the New England Regional for a great weekend, and a special thanks goes out to teams 501, 177, 69, and 175 for being such wonderful partners.

Thank you for picking us. Thank all the teams in the alliance for their exceptional cooperation.

Posted by Michael Betts at 03/04/2001 11:33 AM EST

Engineer on team #177, Bobcat Robotics, from South Windsor High School and International Fuel Cells.

In Reply to: Re: QUESTION OF THE WEEK!!!
Posted by Matt Ryan on 03/04/2001 8:04 AM EST:

: : p.s. I just wanted to take this chance to thank everyone at the New England Regional for a great weekend, and a special thanks goes out to teams 501, 177, 69, and 175 for being such wonderful partners.

: Thank you for picking us. Thank all the teams in the alliance for their exceptional cooperation.

Andy, Matt, et al,

Ditto! It was an honor and privilege for the Bobcats to be chosen by Clinton and to have such professional partners for the finals. The success of our alliance was due to pure and simple teamwork. Everyone executed their assigned task with near perfection. Thank you all!

Now, on to Andy’s QOTW: Low scores. I really expected a more than a few 400 - 500 point games in the qualifiers and at least 800 points in the finals to take it all home. Perhaps we will see higher scores as the regionals progress and/or at the nationals.

Mike

Posted by Jessica Boucher at 03/04/2001 9:26 AM EST

Student on team #237, Sie-H2O-Bots, from Watertown High School and Eastern Awning Systems & The Siemon Company.

Anyone who attended either regional can probably agree with me, even though I didnt hear anyone mention it from KSC, it probably happened.

The silence after a bad match.

When things were 2 on 2, there was always someone cheering…this time, the silence was deafening when everyone knew that the match didnt go well. I felt that this was worse than losing (when you were 2 on 2) because you dont have a win/loss at the end of a match, you just have a number. There is no “Yeah, we lost, but we’ll win the next one!”, there is just “Yup, we need a better number next time”, which sounds more stressful than hopeful.

This doesnt mean I don’t like the game, I find it quite intriguing, as Ive said before…I just dont like the silence at all, and if there was a way to change the game next year so that it didnt happen, I would be totally grateful.

-Jessica B, #237

Posted by Rich Reynolds at 03/04/2001 2:13 PM EST

Student on team #237, Sie-H20-Bots, from Watertown High School and Eastern Awning, Siemon Co…

In Reply to: The silence.
Posted by Jessica Boucher on 03/04/2001 9:26 AM EST:

i agree jess, the feeling on stage as well was not good if the score wasnt. and then to get a good score you would risk your bot, but sometimes you couldnt go back to the pit because you were up next, even if you didnt play for 3 matches… very stressful.

Posted by Matt Ryan at 03/04/2001 11:27 AM EST

Student on team #69, HYPER, from Quincy Public Schools and Gillette.

The thing that surprised me the most at the UTC regional was the lack of high scoring matches.

Many teams said they could score in the 200-300 point range with no help–and then didn’t get in that point range with 3 other teams helping them. That is caused by a variety of variables–there is no one thing that is responsible for a low score. There are so many variables that I could not even begin to start a list.

Very surprised with point totals.

Posted by Anton Abaya at 03/04/2001 12:51 PM EST

Coach on team #419, Rambots, from UMass Boston / BC High and WHO NEEDS SPONSORS WHEN YOU HAVE DETERMINATION!.

i am surprised that there are so many ninny coaches out there that lie out of their wits just to get their robot to play.

some even insist like crazy that their human player is better than everyone elses…

whats worse is when you let them do it and they fail almost everytime.

-anton

Posted by j at 03/04/2001 5:42 PM EST

Student on team #173, RAGE, from Rockville High and United Technologies Research Center.

In Reply to: ninny coaches.
Posted by Anton Abaya on 03/04/2001 12:51 PM EST:

Anton hit the nail on the head. The challenge this year is seeing which teams are telling the truth, not the game. Also, I saw plenty of matches up there (UTC regional) where the best team for the job wasn’t doing the job. Some teams need to be more forceful in strategy sessions and some need to be less forceful. That would prolly take care of those low scoring rounds. I think we’ll be surprised again in Florida when things begin to turn around (I hope…)

j

Posted by Anton Abaya at 03/04/2001 10:44 PM EST

Coach on team #419, Rambots, from UMass Boston / BC High and WHO NEEDS SPONSORS WHEN YOU HAVE DETERMINATION!.

In Reply to: Re: ninny coaches.
Posted by j on 03/04/2001 5:42 PM EST:

what I didnt like especially was that some teams had only their motive in mind. there were some out there who had robots that did not work and kept trying to do their function repeatedly, screwing other teams over as they fail to do their task.

sometimes, all they care about is to make an appearance and show that their robot works with an ideal alliance, whether or not they are seeded.

-anton

Posted by Jake at 03/04/2001 11:03 PM EST

Student on team #365, Miracle Workerz, from Avon Grove High School and DuPont Engineering.

In Reply to: ninny coaches should be ducktaped.
Posted by Anton Abaya on 03/04/2001 10:44 PM EST:

I hate to rain on your paraide, Anton, but duck tape is not a fastener for FIRST. I’d recomend the electrical tape. That fastens quite nicely. But if it doesn’t offer the hold you want, cut a square piece of the big ball out and wire-tie it to the ‘ninny coach’s’ head. That would be legal. :o)

Another useful bit of information from the vast knowledge banks of ~
~ Captain Jake

Posted by Anton Abaya at 03/04/2001 11:58 PM EST

In Reply to: Duck Tape is not a fastener…
Posted by Jake on 03/04/2001 11:03 PM EST:

: I hate to rain on your paraide, Anton, but duck tape is not a fastener for FIRST. I’d recomend the electrical tape. That fastens quite nicely. But if it doesn’t offer the hold you want, cut a square piece of the big ball out and wire-tie it to the ‘ninny coach’s’ head. That would be legal. :o)

: Another useful bit of information from the vast knowledge banks of ~
: ~ Captain Jake

we had some on our robot that fastened something onto the frame of the bot. they asked us to replace it.

-antoninny

Posted by Jake at 03/05/2001 11:19 AM EST

Student on team #365, Miracle Workerz, from Avon Grove High School and DuPont Engineering.

In Reply to: Electrical Tape is not a fastener either.
Posted by Anton Abaya on 03/04/2001 11:58 PM EST:

That’s right… I remember now. Electrical tape may only be used to stop electronics from grounding to the frame.

Another useful bit of information from the vast knowledge banks of ~
~ Captain Jake

: we had some on our robot that fastened something onto the frame of the bot. they asked us to replace it.

: -antoninny

Posted by Hannah at 03/06/2001 5:58 PM EST

Student on team #126, Gael Force, from Clinton High School and NYPRO.

In Reply to: Re: Electrical Tape is not a fastener either.
Posted by Jake on 03/05/2001 11:19 AM EST:

I’d have to agree that bar-locks (wireties for all nonGaelforce readers) would be the most efficient and leagal method for keeping ninny coaches in place… but duck tape as a silencer may be appropriate.
WARNING: Do not tighten bar-locks to much or they may cause accidental loss of limbs… or they might just turn blue!

Posted by Michael Betts at 03/06/2001 8:12 PM EST

Engineer on team #177, Bobcat Robotics, from South Windsor High School and International Fuel Cells.

In Reply to: Bar-Locks all the way
Posted by Hannah on 03/06/2001 5:58 PM EST:

Now, Now… Let’s get real here.

I’ve never seen a Bar-Lock turn blue.

:slight_smile:

Posted by Hannah at 03/06/2001 8:36 PM EST

Student on team #126, Gael Force, from Clinton High School and NYPRO.

In Reply to: Re: Bar-Locks all the way
Posted by Michael Betts on 03/06/2001 8:12 PM EST:

: Now, Now… Let’s get real here.

: I’ve never seen a Bar-Lock turn blue.

: :slight_smile:

Good point… make them as tight as u want.

Posted by Tim Baird at 03/06/2001 11:01 PM EST

Engineer on team #190, Gompei, from Massachusetts Academy of Math and Science and WPI.

In Reply to: Bar-Locks all the way
Posted by Hannah on 03/06/2001 5:58 PM EST:

Don’t worry hannah, some people on other teams still know what the real name for them is.
Tim

: I’d have to agree that bar-locks (wireties for all nonGaelforce readers) would be the most efficient and leagal method for keeping ninny coaches in place… but duck tape as a silencer may be appropriate.
: WARNING: Do not tighten bar-locks to much or they may cause accidental loss of limbs… or they might just turn blue!

Posted by Jessica Boucher at 03/07/2001 6:46 AM EST

Student on team #237, Sie-H2O-Bots, from Watertown High School and Eastern Awning Systems & The Siemon Company.

Posted by Tim Baird on 03/06/2001 11:01 PM EST:

: Don’t worry hannah, some people on other teams still know what the real name for them is.

Hey, at least your team probably doesnt look at you strange because youre the ONLY ONE that calls them that…and all because I hang out with other teams too much :wink:

Busy person: “Hey, hand me that wire tie over there.”
Me: “What?”
Busy person: “The wire tie! Right next to your hand!!!”
Me: “Ohhh, the bar-lok. sure.”
(Silence as Busy person just kind-of stares at me and shakes their head)

-Jessica B, #237

Posted by Lora Knepper at 03/07/2001 6:05 PM EST

Other on team #177, Bobcat Robotics - (Adoptee) =), from South Windsor High School and International Fuel Cells.

Posted by Jessica Boucher on 03/07/2001 6:46 AM EST:

Jess…Jess…Jess…

as we ALL know, it’s a TIE WRAP ;o)

~ lora
this post brought to you by team tie-wrap

Posted by Elgin C at 03/07/2001 8:43 PM EST

Engineer on team #237, Sie-H20-Bots, from Watertown High School / NVCC.

Jess What are Bar locks???

: : Don’t worry hannah, some people on other teams still know what the real name for them is.

: Hey, at least your team probably doesnt look at you strange because youre the ONLY ONE that calls them that…and all because I hang out with other teams too much :wink:

: Busy person: “Hey, hand me that wire tie over there.”
: Me: “What?”
: Busy person: “The wire tie! Right next to your hand!!!”
: Me: “Ohhh, the bar-lok. sure.”
: (Silence as Busy person just kind-of stares at me and shakes their head)

: -Jessica B, #237

Posted by Ken Leung at 03/09/2001 6:49 AM EST

Student on team #192, Gunn Robotics Team, from Henry M. Gunn Senior High School.

Now, if you will only say the name “zip tie”, just like what we all do in the west coast…

That way, at least the people won’t look at you all weird. Even if they do, you can just say, “It’s what we call them over at west coast” and you will be all right and accepted by the people as a sane person again.