Questions regarding textures in 3D Studio Max

Hi everyone. I’ve been having a few problems with texture lately, so hopefully you can help.

In one of our scenes in the animation, we’ve filled all of our texture boxes up (and it’s at its smallest size meaning the spheres are all small)… is there any way I can get more texture boxes in the material editor?

Also, how would I go about doing a double-sided texture, like one texture on one side of a sign… and another texture on another sign.

Oh yeah! One more thing this has nothing to do w/ textures. How does one make an Omni light not so bright? they’re waayyyy too bright when I add them into scenes. Thanks! :slight_smile:

Okay…answer time:

Part A: There is a button that puts the currently selected material sphere to libarary (called put to library). That will put them into the library. Then, go into the library and SAVE it. Once you’ve done that, you can go back to the material editor and juss erase those spheres. The object will retain the texture (as long as you make a new texture entirly) and you cna then use that sphere for anotehr texture. Then, to reimport a texture, either open it from teh library or do a “From scene…” for the texture selection.

Double-sided texture: Okay, I’d recommand you convert the object to an editiable mesh, and assign each part of the mesh a SelectionID (at the bottom of the modify panel). Then make a Multi/Sub-object texture. Texture number one will correspond to Selection ID one, Texture number two on the mutlti-subobject will correspond to Selection ID two. That should get ya going there…worst comes to worst, make a plane and use a double sided texture as far as signs go.

OmniLighting: There is an intensity setting on the omni lights. In the lights and cameras tab, there is a lgiht lister. THat lets you set the settings for all your lights. it is your friend, use it. lol

and remember…targa! targa! tooga, er, i mean…targa! targa!

Remember, IM me if you need help, thats why my s/n’s in my sig.

Also, how would I go about doing a double-sided texture, like one texture on one side of a sign… and another texture on another sign.

There is a much easier way to do that - use a 2-sided material

1. open material editor
  2. select a material slot and click on the material type button at the top (usually says Standard, Raytrace, etc)
  3. Select Two-Sided from the list
  4. assign the materials to each side

hope this helps

*Originally posted by Lev *
**There is a much easier way to do that - use a 2-sided material

1. open material editor
  2. select a material slot and click on the material type button at the top (usually says Standard, Raytrace, etc)
  3. Select Two-Sided from the list
  4. assign the materials to each side

hope this helps **

BUT the problem with that lies on that all it does is on the opposite side of the FACE (thus the INSIDE of a box) would have the other texture. The object your applying the texture to must be 2d to get it to work right :-\ i thoguht about that for a few minutes and suddenly realize waht was worng… sorry…

I guess, i misunderstood the question… I thought that by the double-sided texture AnimeRaul234 wanted exactly the different textures on different sides of mesh FACES.

like one texture on one side of a sign… and another texture on another sign

I would think that a sign is most likely just a flat 2d object. But, if the sign is a non-flat object, the Top-Bottom material will be your friend. The direction are similar to the Double-Sided Material.

Yeah, i thoguht about that too for a sec. BUt then I thoguht, if your doing a dobule sided sign, your proboly going to be rotating around it at some point, and if thats the case, having a 2d object would look really weird at the point where the camera is staring straight down the side. It would appear that the sign dissapears for a moment. so it would have to be a reallllyyyy thin box, thus making the double sided no worky… again, im not trying to like prove ya wrong, i juss dont want him to sit there going “why wont the double sided work on my box…”

If you have textures that you arent animating, and youve already assigned them to objects and have no need to change any parameters, do this.

Click on the texture in texture editor and click delete. A box will come up asking you if u want to just effect the editor slot or affect both object in scene and editor slot. Click only affect editor slot and it will give you a new, empty box for more texturing fun and it wont change the objects that have the earlier assigned texture.