Quick clarification regarding crossing the finish line

<G10> Each TRACKBALL that has CROSSED its own FINISH LINE while not in contact with a ROBOT of the same ALLIANCE will earn 2 points. A TRACKBALL that has CROSSED its own FINISH LINE which contacts ROBOTS of both ALLIANCES while CROSSING will earn
2 points.

Now, I understand what’s written here, but since this is probably one of the most crucial, potentially game breaking rules, I just want to know if I understand completely.
A robot holding the trackball passes through the finish line, the team gets 0 points, correct?
A robot herding the ball bumps into the ball while it’s still on the finish line, the team gets no points, correct?
A robot with a very long arm lifts the ball above the overpass, takes it to the other side, and then drops it, does the team get 0, 2, 6 or 8 points?

Thanks.

well a robot holding a trackball would get two points I believe. none for the track ball but two for the robot crossing. In the arm situation the robot will get 8 points for the hurdle only if it releases the ball before it crosses the line.

In the first two scenarios you describe, you get no points for the ball CROSSING the line, but you will get the two points for the robot CROSSING the line. In the third scenario, you get eight points from the ball: six for HURDLING, two for CROSSING. If the robot CROSSED the line after HURDLING, then you would get two more points.

If it carries the ball over the line, and releases it on the other side, would it get the 6 bonus points, even if it didn’t get the 2 line crossing points?

nope

I think it’s best to break up the scoring into points earned by trackballs and points earned by a robot. The diagram in section 7.3.3 helps a lot.

If your robot is holding a trackball and crosses your alliance’s finish line, you would not get any points for the trackball UNLESS a robot from the opposing alliance touches the trackball as it crosses the line. Since your robot is crossing the line, assuming it crosses fully, your robot earns 2 points (in teleoperated mode).

If you touch a trackball at any time during the trackball’s “Crossing” of the finish line, then the ball is worth 0 points. The rules don’t state this very well, but I’m assuming you BEGIN to ‘Cross’ the line when the vertical plane is breached by the trackball. Likewise you finish ‘Crossing’ the line when the last part of the ball crossed the vertical plane per the manual:

“A TRACKBALL or ROBOT shall have CROSSED a line when all parts of the object, while traveling in a counterclockwise direction, have completely passed through the plane.”

I’m not entirely sure about the third question, I’m wondering about the answer myself. Are you allowed to cross the finish line with a part of your robot during the act of HURDLING?

Hopefully this helps, and is accurate! This is how I’ve come to understand the scoring, verification would be appreciated!

I believe the team gets 2 points for the robot crossing their finish line even if it has a trackball in its possession. <G06>
The combination of rule <G10> and definition of a ball CROSSING the line leads me to believe that no points would be awarded for contacting a ball while it is crossing the line (this is going to be tough for the refs to call).
If the long-armed robot maintains contact with the ball after crossing the line, it did not satisfy the requirement in the definition of HURDLING for having the ball contact the floor or another robot before contacting the originating robot (i.e. the ball must be released before it crosses the line): 0 points for the trackball.

These interpretations are mine and could be wrong! The FIRST Q&A should be consulted for official responses…

Alright, thanks everyone.
Sorry if I’m a little slow >.<

In this picture the robot has possession of the ball as the ball crosses the line (as it is hurdling). Does this mean the ball gets the 6 bonus points because it hurdles and loses the 2 points because it crosses the line in the robots possession?

hmm… looks like this might be another rules discrepancy.

Tell me if im interpreting something wrong

This is counted as 8 full points.
There are also 2 additiona points for the robot crossing its own Finish Line immediately after it.
You can easily see in the table of the scoring in “The Game” that there is no possiblity of 6 points at all. only 8.

See, now this is a problem, he shouldn’t get 2 points, because he didn’t “legally” cross the finish line, so the question I’m asking is whether or not the 6 bonus points can be standalones, or are they dependent on the aforementioned 2 points.

So it’s either 8 or 0. I think a new definition is needed: Over the overpass.

I cant see why you think that he did not cross the line illegaly.
Could you bring a quote from the Docs?

Read the original post, he’s touching the ball while it crosses the line, no points for that.
BTW, were you at the kickoff in the Air Force center today?

<G10> Each TRACKBALL that has CROSSED its own FINISH LINE while not in contact with a
ROBOT of the same ALLIANCE will earn 2 points. A TRACKBALL that has CROSSED its
own FINISH LINE which contacts ROBOTS of both ALLIANCES while CROSSING will earn
2 points.

<G11> Each TRACKBALL that HURDLES its own FINISH LINE will earn 8 points (2 points for
CROSSING the FINISH LINE – re Rule <G10> - and a 6 point bonus, yielding 8 points
total).

Joey

What they don’t say is whether a ball that is being hurdled can contact a robot while it crosses.

Definition of a HURDLE:
When a TRACKBALL CROSSES a FINISH LINE while passing above the OVERPASS and then contacts either the floor or another ROBOT before re-contacting the originating ROBOT.

CROSSING: The act of a TRACKBALL or ROBOT passing through the plane defined by a line (i.e.LANE MARKER or FINISH LINE) when it is projected vertically upwards. A TRACKBALL or ROBOT shall have CROSSED a line when all parts of the object, while traveling in a counterclockwise direction, have completely passed through the plane.

So from the sounds of things, although this is just speculation on my part, if the ball fully passes the plane of the finish line while in the possession of a robot, it will not count as a hurdle.

We’ll probably have to wait for the Q&A to get an official clarification.

Re-read the definitions. They say nothing about not contacting a robot when crossing or having something else on either side. (The scoring rules do say something about it, namely it doesn’t count, but only on the ground. Nothing about hurdling.)