Radio Connection/Ethernet Issues

Hi…we’re a rookie team trying to reconfigure our radio for local wifi connection using the FRC Radio Configuration Utility (19.1.1). When I connect the bridge to the laptop via Ethernet (wifi & bluetooth are disabled) my laptop says there’s no Ethernet connection. My Ethernet cable is good. I can connect the laptop directly to the Rio Ethernet. On the bridge, the power light is on, the Eth Link light is blue, and the Wifi light is flashing green. I’ve searched the Chief and the web for help, but no luck. Thanks in advance for your help.

Interesting problem.
If you plug the radio into a different computer, do you still have the same problem? Perhaps the radio has died.
I assume (bold of me) you’ve tried power cycling it?
I also assume (again, bold) that by “local wifi” you mean configuring it for home use; ie, connect to it over WiFi to control the robot.

You’ve tested both Ethernet ports on the radio?

A couple of additional things to look at are:
See what status the Driver Station diagnostic tab shows for the radio and Ethernet ports.

See what ipconfig (using command prompt) shows for the PC Ethernet port setup when it’s connected to the radio.

Hi…yes I’ve tried multiple laptops and cycled power multiple times. The plan is to use it for ‘home’ use. I really hope the radio hasn’t died…those things are expensive!

Mark…anything in particular that I should look for when I do the Ipconfig test? I’ll try your suggestions later tonight. Thanks

What exactly do you mean by “says there is no Ethernet connection”? Be specific about where you are reading that message.

On Windows, the little connection indicator on the lower right will put up a warning sign if it cannot ping certain servers on the Internet (something at “microsoft.com”). That message is harmless in this case.

With ipconfig (and the DS diagnostics tab statuses) it’s going to tell you if the IP addresses/net masks are getting set correctly for communicating between the radio and roboRIO.

If you have both devices setup to use standard DHCP, then connecting through the radio will give both devices 10.TE.AM IP addresses. The ds tab and ipconfig will tell you that.

If this is not happening properly, e.g., the pc is ending up with a 169. IP address instead, then that would be a symptom of why the radio reset is failing.

There are also statuses that will tell you if the pc is detecting the radio eth ports successfully.

You can try tethering the pc to the radio via a standard pit hardwired eth setup just to test if the pc can connect to the roboRIO. That’d confirm if the radio Eth ports are working properly or not.

You can try resting the radio through other means. For home use it doesn’t have to be setup to FRC conventions-typical default factory settings work fine. Only the FRC competition setup locks the radio with a secret WiFi code.

——
As an aside, any ap device in it’s default factory settings will work with your robot. It does not have to be run through the FRC radio Config Tool.
If Someone has an old ap laying around you can use that in it’s default configuration to connect to the robot.

Issue resolved. We took the radio over to 1323 and tested it…it’s dead. Thanks for your suggestions.

1 Like

Thanks for letting us know what the issue turned out to be.

1 Like

I found out the real cause of the problem tonight…As you all know the radio doesn’t come with a power adapter…or you never have it handy when you need it. Last week I looked around the house and found an adapter that fit and when plugged in, it turned on the radio lights. After looking at the AndyMark site, it says a 1amp output adapter is required. I checked the one I was using and saw that it had an output of 0.85amps…which was just enough to turn start the radio, but not enough to actually run it. I scrounged around the house and found a 1amp adapter that fit and success!

Makes more sense because the radio was working until you pulled it off your competition robot (different power source).
I see this with radios trying to connect to the field on somewhat rare occasions. When they aren’t getting enough power the lights look good, but the wireless functions don’t work properly.

The wireless transmission requires extra power, over that used for the wired connections.
The power supply that came with my first OpenMesh radio provided 2a of power, but that just insures that it has a bit more range.