radio meetings all star

Posted by Alexander Reben at 04/01/2001 2:20 PM EST

Student on team #329, The R.A.I.D., from Patchogue - Medford H.S. and Nortel Networks.

Hey I was thinking that teams in the all star hotel should meet on a family radio service (frs) (mot. name is the “Talk About”) we could meet for like 10 minutes to a half hour if we wanted to discuss the days events and exchange info and any other stuff. If anyone is interested post a reply or e-mail me at [email protected] and I will setup a format, channel number and time for all that are interested
—Alex -329

Posted by Alexander Reben at 04/01/2001 3:01 PM EST

Student on team #329, The R.A.I.D., from Patchogue - Medford H.S. and Nortel Networks.

In Reply to: radio meetings all star
Posted by Alexander Reben on 04/01/2001 2:20 PM EST:

Also I have a tech licence im call sign is KC2FWL TECH. and I will bring a 144 - 440 hand held if anyone else has a licence let me know, we can talk!

: Hey I was thinking that teams in the all star hotel should meet on a family radio service (frs) (mot. name is the “Talk About”) we could meet for like 10 minutes to a half hour if we wanted to discuss the days events and exchange info and any other stuff. If anyone is interested post a reply or e-mail me at [email protected] and I will setup a format, channel number and time for all that are interested
: —Alex -329

Posted by Wayne Doenges at 04/01/2001 5:10 PM EST

Engineer on team #535, G-Force, from Huntington North High School and UT Electronic Controls.

In Reply to: Re: radio meetings all star
Posted by Alexander Reben on 04/01/2001 3:01 PM EST:

: Also I have a tech licence im call sign is KC2FWL TECH. and I will bring a 144 - 440 hand held if anyone else has a licence let me know, we can talk!
: ___________________________________

: : Hey I was thinking that teams in the all star hotel should meet on a family radio service (frs) (mot. name is the “Talk About”) we could meet for like 10 minutes to a half hour if we wanted to discuss the days events and exchange info and any other stuff. If anyone is interested post a reply or e-mail me at [email protected] and I will setup a format, channel number and time for all that are interested
: : —Alex -329

I have access to four Motorola radios. We use them when we ride our motorcycles. They are great.
For the last regional, in Chicago, we had two talk-abouts and three other motorola radios and they had no problem talking to each other. As long as they are on the same channel, with no code, they work fine.
E-Mail me at warthog@home .com

Posted by Alexander Reben at 04/01/2001 7:48 PM EST

Posted by Wayne Doenges on 04/01/2001 5:10 PM EST:

Ok what we need to do to keep things orginized
to start I will ask for a list of people on the system, a member from each team will anounce their number first asking to start
When a person wants to talk they will say their name and team number to start and I will repeat their number to let them know they can speak and we can prosede from there
we will use ch. 4 (462.6375 mhz) NO SUBCODES since some radios dont have them at a time that you guys can suggest
so an example would be like this

checkin-
You: This is bob from team 12345
Me: Check team 12345

–and so on…

Talk-
You: Break (meaning you are breaking into a conversation) this is bob 12345
me: go ahead bob 12345

to end just say over to let people know you are done

—then you can talk from there
this should keep things orderly to keep people from talking over each other, and all you have to know is your name and team number

let me know if you have any more input

: : Also I have a tech licence im call sign is KC2FWL TECH. and I will bring a 144 - 440 hand held if anyone else has a licence let me know, we can talk!
: : ___________________________________

: : : Hey I was thinking that teams in the all star hotel should meet on a family radio service (frs) (mot. name is the “Talk About”) we could meet for like 10 minutes to a half hour if we wanted to discuss the days events and exchange info and any other stuff. If anyone is interested post a reply or e-mail me at [email protected] and I will setup a format, channel number and time for all that are interested
: : : —Alex -329

: I have access to four Motorola radios. We use them when we ride our motorcycles. They are great.
: For the last regional, in Chicago, we had two talk-abouts and three other motorola radios and they had no problem talking to each other. As long as they are on the same channel, with no code, they work fine.
: E-Mail me at warthog@home .com

Posted by Jessica Boucher at 04/01/2001 4:54 PM EST

Student on team #237, Sie-H2O-Bots, from Watertown High School and Eastern Awning Systems & The Siemon Company.

Thats all our team uses in FL and on trips…theyre great when you’re caravaning to a post-competition so you wont get lost, and it allows people to converse without tying the phone up.

Last year we used channel 2 code 37, but we’re changing it this year since not all of the 2-ways can use codes.

I’ll talk to my team, and see if they want to get together with you guys.

-Jessica B, #237

Posted by Chris Hardman at 04/01/2001 6:58 PM EST

Student on team #111, WILDSTANG, from Rolling Meadows and Wheeling High schools and motorola.

I think it’s a really cool idea, but it will be chaos. People will be talking over one another and no one will understand what’s going on. I think a meeting would be better. like in the pool, or in the cafe. I dunno i think using MOT’s talkabouts would just be a cluster

chris h

Posted by Erik Justen at 04/02/2001 2:18 PM EST

Engineer on team #677, A few screws loose, from Columbus School for Girls and The Ohio State University/Norhtrop Grumman/AEP.

I’ve got a quick question about the use of these radios.

As I seem to recall, I thought I saw many teams using them last year at Nationals, and again at the Great Lakes regional this year. But, according to the rule book, you cannot use them. If my memory serves me right, I think it even went so far as to say that you could be disqualified. Now, quite frankly I think this rule is silly - those radios don’t operate in the 900 MHz band. But… it’s still a rule - what gives. Am I not reading something right, or it is just understand that no one follows the rule. I don’t have the entire rulebook in front of me, but I know that the section labeled “Nationals” covers this.

I do think that these radios are a great idea (though I would imagine that if everyone has a TalkAbout with only 12 or so channels fighting for bandwidth could be an issue). I just wanted to make sure that is was “ok to break the rules”.

Erik

Posted by Jessica Boucher at 04/02/2001 2:45 PM EST

Student on team #237, Sie-H2O-Bots, from Watertown High School and Eastern Awning Systems & The Siemon Company.

Posted by Erik Justen on 04/02/2001 2:18 PM EST:

But, according to the rule book, you cannot use them. If my memory serves me right, I think it even went so far as to say that you could be disqualified. Now, quite frankly I think this rule is silly - those radios don’t operate in the 900 MHz band. But… it’s still a rule - what gives. Am I not reading something right, or it is just understand that no one follows the rule. I don’t have the entire rulebook in front of me, but I know that the section labeled “Nationals” covers this.

I think you’re referring to the “no 2-way radios used during a match or in the pit” rule…I know you can be qisqualified during a match for using one.

From what Im getting from this, this would be used at the All-Star hotels, right?

-Jessica B, #237

Posted by Andy Baker at 04/02/2001 2:55 PM EST

Engineer on team #45, TechnoKats, from Kokomo High School and Delphi Automotive Systems.

Yes, it’s against the rules to use these at the competition.

I think that the reason is not because of robot communication interference, but rather FIRST and competition crew communication interference. They want to be able to talk to themselves, and they don’t want us interfering or “listening in”.

We use talkabout all over the parks and at the hotels… just not at the competitions.

Andy B.

Posted by Alexander Reben at 04/02/2001 5:18 PM EST

Ok, each radio has sub codes which are reallt ctts tones that activate the squelch, and this would be only in the park and at the all star hotel, we just want to set up a frequency for people to meet on, read the message (the plan)

: I’ve got a quick question about the use of these radios.

: As I seem to recall, I thought I saw many teams using them last year at Nationals, and again at the Great Lakes regional this year. But, according to the rule book, you cannot use them. If my memory serves me right, I think it even went so far as to say that you could be disqualified. Now, quite frankly I think this rule is silly - those radios don’t operate in the 900 MHz band. But… it’s still a rule - what gives. Am I not reading something right, or it is just understand that no one follows the rule. I don’t have the entire rulebook in front of me, but I know that the section labeled “Nationals” covers this.

: I do think that these radios are a great idea (though I would imagine that if everyone has a TalkAbout with only 12 or so channels fighting for bandwidth could be an issue). I just wanted to make sure that is was “ok to break the rules”.

: Erik