Radisson Inn Astrodome

What do others think of the Radisson Inn? A FIRST recommended hotel.

Our experience was not a good one for the following reasons:

Bugs, roaches and ants in rooms

Rooms that smelled so bad we had to change 3 right away and then we were moved to the tower the next day.

Breakfast - Eggs, bacon and bisquet/gravey each day.
BTW the OJ was good.

Black Mold on the curtains and mirrors.

No water for showers - just a dribble.

Elevators that would not work if you had more than 3 people

Employees that agreed that this place is a real PIT.

Many more complaints …

maybe im glad i didn’t go to nationals…

I think they chose it because it was very, very close, and mabye worked something out with them.

(Mabey a little off topic, but deals with hotels)
The Comfort Suites (no idea how much $$ tho) were very, very nice. Our rooms had two double beds, a sofa which turned into a bed. They had a table and chair in every room along with a T1 connection. :wink: They also had a microwave & fridge. Rooms also very spacious. The Breakfast was ceral, danish, toast, bagel, and they had one of those thick make you own waffle irons. (The batter was in a cup, and you dumped it in. -Very cool) Bad thing was they out of juice. Also, the elevators were slow.

Ditto to Jack’s post. The Comfort Suites was nice! If you’re ever attending another event in Houston, I’d highly recommend that hotel. It’s kinda small, though, so not too many teams could stay there.

I heard the Radisson was bad, though. I talked to a couple of 47’s drivers earlier tonight at the party, and they didn’t have good things to say about the Radisson. Sorry you guys had probems with your hotel.

Yikes, those conditions are horrible! Even if they were close by, FIRST shouldn’t recommend hotels that are unhealthy.

The year before I joined the team, 691 had similar experiences in Florida. I don’t know if the hotel was recommended by FIRST or not but there was the same problems with bugs, an awful stench, and an ongoing joke that the walls were in such poor conditions team members could have sworn that the wallpaper moved in the night (I still don’t fully get what they meant but it doesn’t sound good). Apparently our Vice Principal was appalled at these conditions that she wrote a really long letter to them and they sent a huge apology (a partial refund maybe, I’m not positive) and the hotel got major heat from their superiors to improve.

I did my hw last year as management and chose the Crowne Plaza for Seattle. They were really nice, gave us a discount, and the hotel was beautiful. The team also decided to use them again when they went to SVR. It might have been a little more money but on the bright side, nobody worried about hazardous conditions from the rooms.

location location location…

Radison IS the perfect location.

We had 1 room with plumbing issues…and one room supposedly had rodent droppings.

I haven’t been to breakfast. LOL

Lisa T

CD web hug lurker.

234 stayed at a SpringHill Suites near I10 & 610 on the West side.
Lots of eating places close by and the Galleria Mall. The hotel was great to us - breakfast (cereal, bagels, waffles like described above) and they let us use the dining room one evening when we brought in pizza. About a 15 minute drive each way but that was OK.
:slight_smile:

*Originally posted by Doanie8 *
I did my hw last year as management and chose the Crowne Plaza for Seattle

curious What do you mean by homework?

Ugh! 71 also stayed at the Raddison, and omg, was it horrible!!! First, in my room, there was a horrible stench, which eventually cleared out enough that it was livable. Then, being the handy ppl they are, some of our guys decided to take the cover off the vent to see what was in there, and discovered the source of my and Elyse’s (goosefrom71) allergy problems – 1/8 inch of mold in the vent. Eeeew! The bugs and TEXAS SIZE ROACHES completed the whole, nasty picture. Another of our girls rooms also had major roach problems. We finally got them to move us on friday night.

Breakfast was horrible, as was noted before. Restaurants were expensive for high school kids traveling, even the Shoney’s in the parking lot, and there was no fast food anywhere even remotely close.

I want Disney back.

*Originally posted by Redhead Jokes *
**curious What do you mean by homework? **

Well after the horror stories from travelling to Florida the year before, I wanted to make sure conditions were optimal for my team. After I found the hotel on expedia and called to see if we could get a discount, I went to the hotel’s webpage and many other Seattle visitor resources to see the dimensions of the rooms, what their rating was, if they had parking for our rental cars and other important ammenities, if there were good and inexpensive restaurants within walking distance, how far it was from the airport and competition site, if there were any movie theaters or things for entertainment in our down time, and I saw many pictures of what the hotel looked like (oh man it was nice) and when we got there it was 100% accurate. Little more work for me but totally worth the effort.

Well, I’ll just say that when I walked into my room, my bathroom had not been cleaned (or flushed…) since the prior occupant left.

The rest of my stay followed this suit. I fixed an elevator by disconnecting and reconnecting some wires to the door…

And yes, that OJ was awesome.

*Originally posted by Abwehr *
**Well, I’ll just say that when I walked into my room, my bathroom had not been cleaned (or flushed…) since the prior occupant left.

The rest of my stay followed this suit. I fixed an elevator by disconnecting and reconnecting some wires to the door…

And yes, that OJ was @#@#@#@#@#@#$@#. **

… You fixed the elevator??? Uhhhh… yea, there’s something wrong.

I can’t figure it out… are you guys kidding about the orange juice being good?

All of the sudden the Holiday Inn doesn’t sound so bad…

The Westin Oaks in the Galleria Mall was an amazingly awesome hotel.

*Originally posted by kristen *
**… You fixed the elevator??? Uhhhh… yea, there’s something wrong.

I can’t figure it out… are you guys kidding about the orange juice being good? **

Yeah, the door wouldn’t close all the way until I did that to the wires.

And yes, that OJ was fresh squeezed.

The Hot tub was err… not hot.

Our balcony door had its handles ripped off- anyone coulda broken in

This morning all of the elevators on our floor (3) were broken… We had to lug all of our suitcases 4 levels down

Did anyone notice how the soda machines only accepted quarters? And how often they broke? I got one can of Fanta when I pressed the Minute Maid button, after putting $1.50 in for a $.75 can, and to top it all off, the can of Fanta was dented to the maximum extent. At least it tasted good.

The staff, on the other hand, were very corteous and cooperative… They helped me everytime I needed anything…

I’m kinda shocked. I was under the impression that a Radisson was supposed to be a rather nice hotel (atleast the one I stayed in before was). I even thought during the past week that it would be a great place for 45 to stay next year, but now I’m second guessing that.

I thought our hotel, Ramada Inn Plaza, was exceptionally good. The rooms were decent sized and clean and the breakfast provided on Thursday, Friday, Saturday, AND Sunday was good. The meal consisted of a variation of 4 items, with coffee, coke, milk, juice, yogurt, and breakfast burritos. All in all I was very happy with the hotel.

:slight_smile:

Everyone keeps dissing the Radisson. Which building were you guys in? From what I saw in the tall building, it wasn’t bad (it wasn’t great by any means either).

We (and most of the other teams) were in building 6 in the rear of the hotel complex.

well, the girls’ room (mine & Erin’s…we were the only girls there from our team) smelled like spray paint until Friday afternoonish…the door didn’t close…the pools (and hot tub) were like 35 degrees…oh yeah, and I was 5 min late for curfew b/c I got LOST trying to get back to my room!