RAGE, UTC Scrimage Champs!!!

Posted by Steve Prairie.

Student on team #173, RAGE, from Rockville High School /East Hartford High School and UTRC.

Posted on 2/19/2000 8:27 PM MST

Hey everyone, I just got back from the UTC scrimage we had at Farmington High.  Rage's #173 machine is looking awsome.  We took first place (272 points)!  Whats amazing is that we were competeing without an alliance member for over 75% of the time!  Our drivers did excellent considering this was the first time they ever touched the controls.  Now that we feel very confident in our robot we can't wait for the UTC Regionals, and then EPCOT!  Hope to see everyone there.
                    Steve Prairie
                    RAGE Team #173

P.S. All the robots there could go under the limbo bar.

Posted by Lora Knepper.

Student on team #69, HYPER (Helping Youth Pursue Engineering & Robotics), from Quincy Public Schools and The Gillette Company.

Posted on 2/19/2000 8:46 PM MST

In Reply to: RAGE, UTC Scrimage Champs!!! posted by Steve Prairie on 2/19/2000 8:27 PM MST:

Congrats to RAGE for what sounds like a fine showing at the UTC scrimmage. After seeing the stats, I have to admit, I’m very impressed…and knowing the quality in the UTC line of teams…a bit scared too! I hope to see you at the NE Regional in Hartford, I know it will be an awesome time!

Good Luck,
Lora Knepper

Team 69
NE Regional
Nationals

Posted by Mike Dubreuil.

Student on team #175, Buzz, from Enrico Fermi High School and UTC/Hamilton Sundstrand.

Posted on 2/19/2000 9:07 PM MST

In Reply to: RAGE, UTC Scrimage Champs!!! posted by Steve Prairie on 2/19/2000 8:27 PM MST:

I have to congradulate you on your first place finish and to Otis for it's second. Buzz came in 3rd place; although it was real close between all of us until the end. Buzz faired pretty well considering  2 of our sytems were down. But I think our key is speed, I love having the ability to get to our opponents black ball first. If more more information on Buzz doesn't follow (which I'm hoping should happen) see everyone in Rutgers.
  • Mike

: Hey everyone, I just got back from the UTC scrimage we had at Farmington High. Rage’s #173 machine is looking awsome. We took first place (272 points)! Whats amazing is that we were competeing without an alliance member for over 75% of the time! Our drivers did excellent considering this was the first time they ever touched the controls. Now that we feel very confident in our robot we can’t wait for the UTC Regionals, and then EPCOT! Hope to see everyone there.
: Steve Prairie
: RAGE Team #173

: P.S. All the robots there could go under the limbo bar.

Posted by Joe Johnson.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Engineer on team #47, Chief Delphi, from Pontiac Central High School and Delphi Automotive Systems.

Posted on 2/20/2000 7:42 PM MST

In Reply to: Re: RAGE, UTC Scrimage Champs!!! posted by Mike Dubreuil on 2/19/2000 9:07 PM MST:

I was not at the UTC scrimmage (as much as I would have liked to have been). But…

Based on the info on the UTC-Otis web site, we can start to do a bit of math.

27 matches

That means there were about 12 matches per team (8 teams 1/2 play each match).

The Winner of the tourney had 272 points (Qualifying points I assume).

That would mean that they would have scored on average 272/11 Qualifying points per round (remember that they drop the lowest score). That means that they acquired about 24 points per match.

Assuming that they won 75% of there matches, that would mean that they the average lossing score would be just under 10 points.

So… Is this about right? Any who attended please tell all.

Using UTC-Int’l Fuel Cell’s last plac finish with about 90 points and assuming that they only won about 25%: the average losing score would be 90/11=>8 QP/match. 8 Points for at team that looses 75% of the time implies an average losing score of about 5 points.

So… We have bounded the problem. The average losing score was between 5 and 10 points.

Joe J.

P.S. What happened to UTC-Int’t Fuel Cell? I don’t know what to make of their poor showing. Especially after Mike Betts spoke so glowingly. Puzzles abound.

Posted by Lora Knepper.

Student on team #69, HYPER (Helping Youth Pursue Engineering & Robotics), from Quincy Public Schools and The Gillette Company.

Posted on 2/20/2000 8:43 PM MST

In Reply to: Some Math & Some Questions… posted by Joe Johnson on 2/20/2000 7:42 PM MST:

Joe…you read my mind about what happened to South Windsor. I was shocked to say the least, what happened to you guys?? (And considering our bots seem to be very, very similar…this raises my curiosity even more…) I’m definately looking for more details on the UTC scrimmage. Please, any teams that attended, do tell!!

Lora

Posted by Tom S…

Student on team #177, The Bobcats, from South Windsor High School and International Fuel Cells & ONSI.

Posted on 2/21/2000 6:52 AM MST

In Reply to: Some more Questions… posted by Lora Knepper on 2/20/2000 8:43 PM MST:

Hi all-
The Bobcats made the decision to pull out of the race at the scrimmage becasue of injurys to the machine. We indeed suffered a broken arm locking mechanism and some other fender benders. We are fixing the problems and will be up and running soon. But hey–what else is the scrimmage for??? Thats right…to find the faults of your robot before you ship…congratulations to RAGE, you guys had a very very effective machine, simple and i love hte way you hang…:slight_smile: I have heard rumors that you guys arent going to Florida, are you?? But I just wante dto clear up our last place finish for everyone, we left early. Also, looking at the game istelf, it seems that there are many aspects we have yet to look at…
It can be a very rough game, especially when teams fight over a ball or are falling over hte ramp, lots of broken pieces, make sure to make your robots strong.
Also, Ball capacity withign the robots seemed to be small compared to what we anticipated…we could carry 7, but the next closest robot could carry 4 or 5. Some machines, UTC-Shelton utilized a suction cup method and could hold 3 balls, however, it took 3 seconds to pick up a ball—time is important, 2 min is a very short time-especially with the long field.
So much to say, but i’ll stop rambling now…ask away, someone is always willing to answer.

-Tom

PS Walls are hard…:)…stuff can break when you ram into them…

: Joe…you read my mind about what happened to South Windsor. I was shocked to say the least, what happened to you guys?? (And considering our bots seem to be very, very similar…this raises my curiosity even more…) I’m definately looking for more details on the UTC scrimmage. Please, any teams that attended, do tell!!

: Lora

Posted by Steve Prairie.

Student on team #173, RAGE, from Rockville High School /East Hartford High School and UTRC.

Posted on 2/21/2000 7:55 AM MST

In Reply to: Re: Some more Questions… posted by Tom S. on 2/21/2000 6:52 AM MST:

Hey everyone. Just to correct that rumor about RAGE not going to Florida, We are DEFINATLEY going to Florida (at least I think thats where my money is going :slight_smile: ). It seemed that S.W. may have welded alot of their parts on (I was a little to busy working on ours to take a close look), the one part that WE welded on BROKE off! Our first two meets we had a communicaton problem (we forgot to reset the robot after we changed channels). But after that we found it VERY useful to hang on the bar (have fun trying to get us of :wink: ) You’re right Tom, this scrimmage was VERY helpful to us, we found alot of problems that we would not have found until the regionals. I hope to see everyone at the regionals AND in Florida.

Steve Prairie
RAGE Team #173

Posted by Tom S…

Student on team #177, The Bobcats, from South Windsor High School and International Fuel Cells & ONSI.

Posted on 2/21/2000 9:36 AM MST

In Reply to: Re: Answers to some questions posted by Steve Prairie on 2/21/2000 7:55 AM MST:

Good… you are going to florida… You seem to have a very competitive machine, it would be a shame if you didn’t go.

Tom

: Hey everyone. Just to correct that rumor about RAGE not going to Florida, We are DEFINATLEY going to Florida (at least I think thats where my money is going :slight_smile: ). It seemed that S.W. may have welded alot of their parts on (I was a little to busy working on ours to take a close look), the one part that WE welded on BROKE off! Our first two meets we had a communicaton problem (we forgot to reset the robot after we changed channels). But after that we found it VERY useful to hang on the bar (have fun trying to get us of :wink: ) You’re right Tom, this scrimmage was VERY helpful to us, we found alot of problems that we would not have found until the regionals. I hope to see everyone at the regionals AND in Florida.

:
: Steve Prairie
: RAGE Team #173

Posted by Jake Mazotas.

Other on team #177, Bobcats Robotics, from South Windsor High and International Fuel Cells.

Posted on 2/20/2000 8:59 PM MST

In Reply to: Some Math & Some Questions… posted by Joe Johnson on 2/20/2000 7:42 PM MST:

: P.S. What happened to UTC-Int’t Fuel Cell? I don’t know what to make of their poor showing. Especially after Mike Betts spoke so glowingly. Puzzles abound.

I too was not there… but I was told we only played in two matches due to some breakage. We suffered a broken roller, bent basket, and few other things. Hopefully we’ll hear more…

-Jake

Posted by Jake Mazotas.

Other on team #177, Bobcats Robotics, from South Windsor High and International Fuel Cells.

Posted on 2/20/2000 8:59 PM MST

: P.S. What happened to UTC-Int’t Fuel Cell? I don’t know what to make of their poor showing. Especially after Mike Betts spoke so glowingly. Puzzles abound.

I too was not there… but I was told we only played in two matches due to some breakage. We suffered a broken roller, bent basket, and few other things. Hopefully we’ll hear more…

-Jake

Posted by Michael Betts.

Engineer on team #177, Bobcat Robotics, from South Windsor High School and International Fuel Cells.

Posted on 2/21/2000 11:04 AM MST

Joe, Jake, et al…

Sorry I did not post sooner but I’ve been a little busy.

As Tommy indicated in another thread, we broke 9 welds in our third match at the UTC scrimmage and went home with heads low (this explains your math problems, Joe). We also badly bent many (formerly streight) members, sheared a hinge and ripped the insulation off some wires. The Bobcat has had better days.

Bottom line: We have redesigned some aspects of our system and our bot should be back up and around this evening. During final system integration and our redesign, we were forced to give up some of our functionality (7 vesus 10 ball carrying capacity, etc) but our new machine will be much more robust. I’ll see if I can snap off a picture or two tonight.

The Otis/Farmington team did a fantastic job putting on the scrimmage and kudos to all the teams who participated. We learned some extremely valuble lessons last Saturday.

We’re ‘not quite dead yet’.

Mike

BTW, I think that Northeast Utilities also sponsored a scrimmage on Saturday… Any feedback out there?

Posted by Zito.

Student on team #230, Gaelhawks, from Shelton High and Sikorsky.

Posted on 2/22/2000 9:16 PM MST

Congratulations to all teams that participated at the scrimmage.  It was a great finally see the bots in action!  Also, it proved to be a valuable learning experience.  I noticed that robots sustained the most damage from falling off the ramp because their center of gravity was far off their base, closer to their arm.  

#230 Shelton decided to replace our suction/vacuum system after someone (sorry, but I don’t remember who) tipped us off that it was illegal because it counted as a pneumatic device. Thanks for the help! Now we have a circular ring that picks the balls up pretty well. Plus, we don’t have to wait the 3 seconds anymore.

Also, we fixed our drive problems. As of shipping everything was working great and as plannned. Hope to see you all in Hartford!