Ramadan within the FIRST Season

This year the Muslim holy month of Ramadan starts on April 2nd. Which means during build sessions and competitions for the next month Muslim students, mentors, and volunteers maybe fasting while in the high energy environment that is FIRST.

I wanted to make the larger community of FIRST aware of this month and some of the activities that go along with it.

Muslim FIRST Members may be doing some or all of the following

• Fasting from sunrise to sunset (in American that means no eating or drinking anything for about 14 hours), where the days are just getting longer as time progresses.

• Needing to eat at sunset

• Praying late night prayers, which can go until midnight in some cases. This can be done at home or at the local mosques

Competitions for Muslim members of the community are going to be tough. This will go on till after FIRST Championships. Please try to be as accommodating and respectful to these members who choose to practice their faith. Please let the rest of the community know. And please accommodate these members to the best of your ability.

Going forward the next few years, Ramadan will occur during competition season. Muslims follow the Lunar Calendar, and the days move back give or take ten days each year.

If in any case a member is dehydrated or feeling lightheaded, they are permitted to eat/drink to ensure it doesn’t become a health emergency.

Anyone who is choosing to fast during this month and during robotics please ensure you have made a contingency plan with your mentors, friends and family.

Regional/District/Championship planning committees please take this into consideration and have a plan of action in case there is an emergency.

If anyone has any questions feel free to reach out to me, and I will try to answer any questions to the best of my knowledge.

40 Likes

Is there something that we should provide in addition to cafeteria space for the lunch break? (A non food oriented space?)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.