Rambots Robot....

Posted by Anton Abaya at 2/16/2001 1:59 AM EST

Coach on team #419, Rambots, from UMass Boston / BC High and NONE AT THE MOMENT! :(.

yes yes i know, it’s overkill. well, we decided that we wanted to turn FASTER than last year. i guess we went too far…?

well, it’s a speed demon. i’ll post a more complete pic over the weekend. for now…enjoy.

comments are appreciated.

-anton

ps. the picture was taken with flash off on my digital camera. when it spins like that, that’s exactly what it looks like, a blur.

Posted by Anton Abaya at 2/16/2001 2:15 AM EST

Coach on team #419, Rambots, from UMass Boston / BC High and NONE AT THE MOMENT! :(.

In Reply to: Rambots Robot…
Posted by Anton Abaya on 2/16/2001 1:59 AM EST:

gee, maybe if i were to put an array of LEDs, i can make/write words like those things u can buy that u spin around…

hmmm… anyone know how to write the code for that?

–anton

Posted by Ken Leung at 2/16/2001 3:38 AM EST

Student on team #192, Gunn Robotics Team, from Henry M. Gunn Senior High School.

Finally, a real Rambots robot in front of our eye…
Although it doesn’t seems that real in this picture…

You said it goes 2 rev/s~!?!? That’s definitely going a little too fast. Watch out for how strong of a torque you actually gets out of that drive train.

It seems to me spinning that fast is quite dangerous when people are around it. After all, imagine what happen when a bolt or a motor comes loose. Make sure no one gets near the robot when you are doing this spin. It might cause more serious injuries than you thought. Just make sure everything on the robot is mounted as if they are welded on it. The students probably want to wear safety glasses near the robot.

Again, I can’t stress enough about safety. If you are doing that spin on the playing field, you better watch out for other robots, or else you are going to get disqualified. I am pretty sure the judges won’t be happy if your robot cut a piece out of the field.

Other than that, I think this is pretty impressive. In order to achieve such speed and balance you will need a really good drive system, as well as a light robot. Good job!

Posted by Anton Abaya at 2/16/2001 11:22 AM EST

In Reply to: fast and dangerous!!!
Posted by Ken Leung on 2/16/2001 3:38 AM EST:

: Finally, a real Rambots robot in front of our eye…
: Although it doesn’t seems that real in this picture…

: You said it goes 2 rev/s~!?!? That’s definitely going a little too fast. Watch out for how strong of a torque you actually gets out of that drive train.

: It seems to me spinning that fast is quite dangerous when people are around it. After all, imagine what happen when a bolt or a motor comes loose. Make sure no one gets near the robot when you are doing this spin. It might cause more serious injuries than you thought. Just make sure everything on the robot is mounted as if they are welded on it. The students probably want to wear safety glasses near the robot.

: Again, I can’t stress enough about safety. If you are doing that spin on the playing field, you better watch out for other robots, or else you are going to get disqualified. I am pretty sure the judges won’t be happy if your robot cut a piece out of the field.

: Other than that, I think this is pretty impressive. In order to achieve such speed and balance you will need a really good drive system, as well as a light robot. Good job!

too fast, but controllable.

i must say that greed played a major role. in our past year, we were rather disappointed at the speed and maneuverability of our robot. so this year, i guess in a way we decided to make sure we had both.

indeed, that’s overkill, but hey, it’s at full speed. it can be slowed down, and trust me, it shall be. i’m just happy we have the power.

thanks to all the chief delphi posters who have helped.

-anton

Posted by Erin at 2/16/2001 6:32 AM EST

Other on team #65, Huskie Brigade, from Pontiac Northern High School and GM Powertrain.

you could be just like a sawblade, go out there and knock the poo out of other teams…

what is the point of having it turn that fast anyway? if i go back the the “basic board” and use logic that they teach you in the first week of your first team, doesnt that mean you are sacrificing traction and the ability to precisely guide your robot?

but hey, it looks cool, doesn’t it…

-erin
“nyquil…helped me get my zzzzzz’s…”

Posted by Anton Abaya at 2/16/2001 11:25 AM EST

In Reply to: oh my… battlebots?
Posted by Erin on 2/16/2001 6:32 AM EST:

: you could be just like a sawblade, go out there and knock the poo out of other teams…

hmmm, you should see the door we hit by accident.

: what is the point of having it turn that fast anyway? if i go back the the “basic board” and use logic that they teach you in the first week of your first team, doesnt that mean you are sacrificing traction and the ability to precisely guide your robot?

we have a lot of traction and was able to pull 300 lbs. we’re not that heavy (thank god). the point of turning that fast ? ummm, greed me thinks. not mine though, the students, i only built it.

: but hey, it looks cool, doesn’t it…

indeed. i just hope it works as good as it looks.

-anton

Posted by Jeff at 2/17/2001 12:59 AM EST

Student on team #419, RAMBOTS, from Boston College High School and Don’t think we actually have a sponsor.

: yes yes i know, it’s overkill. well, we decided that we wanted to turn FASTER than last year. i guess we went too far…?

: well, it’s a speed demon. i’ll post a more complete pic over the weekend. for now…enjoy.

: comments are appreciated.

: -anton

: ps. the picture was taken with flash off on my digital camera. when it spins like that, that’s exactly what it looks like, a blur.

And remember this. It is not on the carpet that is on the playing field. Its on tiled floor.

Posted by Hymnson at 03/09/2001 7:14 PM EST

Student on team #419, The Rambots, from Boston College High School and UMass Boston and Modern Assistance Programs, Inc…

In Reply to: u make me sick!!!
Posted by EJ on 03/09/2001 5:39 PM EST:

: i must warn u that if u continue w/ this foolish quest u will be eliminated!!!

Well “EJ” you can just chill some of that “rage” and tone it down…like I said before despite all you “haters” I’m doing what I please, I’m not here to entertain personally you, I’m not raggin on whateva you do, so chill.