random computer talk [split from geek thread]

MacZelot, how do you do it? A cinema display? Quicksilver? iMac?

BTW, I also have that dog that’s on your stero. I got mine from the arcade in the Contemporary :smiley:

LONG LIVE iMAC! :cool:

yet another thing to add to the list…

i noticed that office max was practically giving away RAM today, so i went with my dad to pick up a 256 chip (pc-133), not because i need it, but because i figured it was a sin not to get it (for 20 bucks, it’s just screaming at you to get it :p). of course, it wound up that they sold me a 128 MB chip which wouldn’t even boot (well, XP crashed and restarted when it tried to boot, didn’t try linux cause if i can’t use XP i can’t do half the stuff i need to on my computer). then we called up office max, and of course, they told me and my dad that we put it in wrong :rolleyes: , so yeah, i’m going back tomorrow to yell at them and get my correct merchandise :). one of my friend told me to sue them though, and that could be interesting… :stuck_out_tongue:

*Originally posted by Ian W. *
**yet another thing to add to the list…

i noticed that office max was practically giving away RAM today, so i went with my dad to pick up a 256 chip (pc-133), not because i need it, but because i figured it was a sin not to get it (for 20 bucks, it’s just screaming at you to get it :p). of course, it wound up that they sold me a 128 MB chip which wouldn’t even boot (well, XP crashed and restarted when it tried to boot, didn’t try linux cause if i can’t use XP i can’t do half the stuff i need to on my computer). then we called up office max, and of course, they told me and my dad that we put it in wrong :rolleyes: , so yeah, i’m going back tomorrow to yell at them and get my correct merchandise :). one of my friend told me to sue them though, and that could be interesting… :stuck_out_tongue: **

What type of machine are you using? They COULD have sold you a high density stick which won’t work.

My college computer is going to rock. My parents said that they will buy me the case and everything inside the computer of my choice…then I buy everything outside :slight_smile: $500 Klipsch 5.1 surround sound. 17" flatscreen. :smiley:

*Originally posted by JosephM *
**MacZelot, how do you do it? A cinema display? Quicksilver? iMac?

BTW, I also have that dog that’s on your stero. I got mine from the arcade in the Contemporary :smiley:

LONG LIVE iMAC! :cool: **

I know! YOU MUST BE RICH, or work for Apple…

*Originally posted by evulish *
**My college computer is going to rock. My parents said that they will buy me the case and everything inside the computer of my choice…then I buy everything outside :slight_smile: $500 Klipsch 5.1 surround sound. 17" flatscreen. :smiley: **

My current collage computer is a Powerbook G4 w/ ComboDrive. SuperDrive only writes at 1x so I’ll just buy a perephial one. It’ll run at 1ghz (ahahahahah!!!) and have every great game on the Mac on it.

*Originally posted by JosephM *
and have every great game on the Mac on it. **

Ha. That’s what? Quake 3? :smiley:

*Originally posted by MacZealot *

What type of machine are you using? They COULD have sold you a high density stick which won’t work. **

i have an athlon 800 Mhz chip, not sure of the mother board, and a 64 and 256 chip currently in the computer. i doubt it’s high density either, because it was only 20 bucks. then again, i may be wrong. but it doesn’t matter anyways, cause they gave me a chip that is sold as 256, but really only 128.

Ha. That’s what? Quake 3? :smiley: **

Uh, oh, here it comes, its

the

pissed face with the stick out toung smilie!!!
AHAHAH

:mad: :stuck_out_tongue:

*Originally posted by Ian W. *

i have an athlon 800 Mhz chip, not sure of the mother board, and a 64 and 256 chip currently in the computer. i doubt it’s high density either, because it was only 20 bucks. then again, i may be wrong. but it doesn’t matter anyways, cause they gave me a chip that is sold as 256, but really only 128. **

Sounds like a high density stick (they are the cheap ones hehe)

What type of chipset is the board? via?

**My college computer is going to rock. My parents said that they will buy me the case and everything inside the computer of my choice…then I buy everything outside :slight_smile: $500 Klipsch 5.1 surround sound. 17" flatscreen. :smiley: **

i want 5.1, I only have 2.1 (the isub was hiding, not sure in that pic.

done the same route before, why not, but here are some words of advice:

1. Avoid the athlons, they are better value + faster, but are broken easily during install.

2. get the highest motherboard bandwidth you can afford.

But this is stuff you probably already know.

Why not get a 22" monitor like mine? hehe, and no I’m not rich, I worked a LOT to get that setup!

Sounds like a high density stick (they are the cheap ones hehe)

What type of chipset is the board? via? **

i used to know, but then i haven’t fiddled with it in a while, so i don’t even know any more :p. i’ll find out when i boot tomorrow i guess (yes, it’s too hard to take off the cover and look). one strange thign that i think about now, when put the chip in the first time, it booted up fine, but it had my two others in it too, so i think it may have used them, but it did say 480 or so (i forget the exact number) MB of RAM. it was only when i was using the chip by itself did it not boot. oh well, sleep time for me :).

i want 5.1, I only have 2.1 (the isub was hiding, not sure in that pic.

1. Avoid the athlons, they are better value + faster, but are broken easily during install.

Why not get a 22" monitor like mine? hehe, and no I’m not rich, I worked a LOT to get that setup! **

If I could actually get to Klipsch’s site, I’d show you the coolest freaking speakers ever :slight_smile: (It keeps getting stuck…it’s probably just my DSL)

And the AMD’s physically break? I had never heard of that happening. shrug I think I’ll still buy AMD. If I break one, hey…I can just go buy another one and most likely spend less than if I had bought one P4 :smiley:

A 22" monitor!? That must have cost $1000! I don’t have that much money :slight_smile: I think I’ll be happy with a 17" display. If I want something bigger, I’ll just buy another one and have a dual monitor display.

http://www.klipsch.com/images/productmedia/large/568_large.jpg

There…I finally got to their site :slight_smile: drool Only $500. I think I’ll wait for a sale (or for one to fall off a truck :D)

Evulish:

Probably right with the AMD, true, and I’ve seen klipsch speakers (I am contemplating buying a set).

The 22" cost $2499. www.apple.com/displays.

:smiley:

Holy crap. You’re monitor is probably going to be worth more than my entire computer! (I figured this out in my head…no clue if the figures are right… $300 mobo/proc, $200 hard drive, $250 dvd burner, $150 soundcard, $100 case/ps, $300 graphics, $100 nic card and other internal stuff, $500 display, $500 speakers, $150 printer…total that up…and…uhh…counts fingers $2550 if I added correctly…) I think I’ll pass up an Apple display. 17" NEC/Mitsu’s are very nice (and a taaad bit cheaper) :slight_smile:

**Holy crap. You’re monitor is probably going to be worth more than my entire computer! (I figured this out in my head…no clue if the figures are right… $300 mobo/proc, $200 hard drive, $250 dvd burner, $150 soundcard, $100 case/ps, $300 graphics, $100 nic card and other internal stuff, $500 display, $500 speakers, $150 printer…total that up…and…uhh…counts fingers $2550 if I added correctly…) I think I’ll pass up an Apple display. 17" NEC/Mitsu’s are very nice (and a taaad bit cheaper) :slight_smile: **

Yup, that they are shrug but at the time this was also the cheapest 22# I could find :smiley:

Cheers! To that new computer. You going to get a lian li case for it?

JUST DON’T GET BEIGE DRIVES!!! :mad:

I’m not totally sure what kind of case. I happen to be partial to those Antec SOHO cases (seems like some other companies sell the samething…shrug). I just can’t wait until the summer when I can actually buy this computer :smiley:

**I’m not totally sure what kind of case. I happen to be partial to those Antec SOHO cases (seems like some other companies sell the samething…shrug). I just can’t wait until the summer when I can actually buy this computer :smiley: **

OMFG I hate those cases.

I dunno they’re just… UGLY!

shrug I’d go for a nice aluminum case, raidmax or lian-li, as those seem to be the best looking :smiley:

Either way, don’t go beige as that is hilariously old.

OMFG I hate those cases.

I dunno they’re just… UGLY!

shrug I’d go for a nice aluminum case, raidmax or lian-li, as those seem to be the best looking :smiley:

Either way, don’t go beige as that is hilariously old. **

Beige will never die:D

Good thing it’s not beige then…I guess :slight_smile:

http://www.directron.com/da01bld.html

I guess it’s Chieftec. I dunno. There are a whole bunch of resellers for that case or something. Antec sells a silver one which is nice.

Does lian-li make any large cases? I’ll probably be using 4 5.25" bays (1 cd/dvd reader, 1 cd-r/dvd-r, 1 zip, and 1 lcd display) and probably a few hard drives :slight_smile: