Ranking score?

Can someone please explain the First Ranking Score system to me? I am not sure the way that it was originally explained to me is correct because imo it does not make much sense. The person who explained it to me said that a higher ranking score is achieved by beating a team by a smaller margin??? Imo that takes the competitive nature away from the game, because a high scoring team might choose to not play defensively against other teams so that they can achieve a higher ranking score.
any opinions? anything helps

This is the second such thread since Championship…

The person who explained it to you is correct. It’s effectively a strength of schedule, calculated as follows:

RS(win)=loser’s unpenalized score
RS(loss)=your penalized score
RS(tie)=score with all penalties

Average(RS(win)+RS(loss)+RS(tie))=the displayed ranking score.

If this still doesn’t make sense, Section 9 has the answer.

I’m pretty sure when you win the losers unpenalized score is not multiplied by two for your ranking points.

Correct

9.3.5 Match Ranking Points
All teams on the winning ALLIANCE will receive a number of ranking points equal to the unpenalized
score (the score without any assessed penalties) of the losing ALLIANCE.
All teams on the losing ALLIANCE will receive a number of ranking points equal to their final
score (with any assessed penalties).
In the case of a tie, all participating teams will receive a number of ranking points equal to their
ALLIANCE score (with any assessed penalties)

Seeing as the manual says so, I’ve edited my original post.

That definitely happens. Teams have also been known to score points for the other alliance (when the game permits it) so that they get more ranking points. I see nothing wrong with it.

The theory behind ranking score is similar to the “strength of schedule” parameter in the college football rankings.

If your alliance wins 132-2, what does that say about either alliance? Does it say yours is strong, or theirs is weak? Yet if you win 132-114, it does say something - that even though you played a strong opponent who could score, you still came out ahead. That should be recognized somehow in the rankings, and the RP score does that.

A secondary effect of this is that there is no incentive to run up the score to humiliate an opponent - although with all the penalties this year, teams would be well advised to make sure they have a comfortable lead.

As Alan mentioned, in previous years you could score freely for your opponent to raise the ranking score. Last year it was strictly prohibited. This year there was no prohibition, but since you couldn’t possess your opponents’ trackballs you were essentially limited to knocking a ball across their finish line for them. Of course there’s always the strategy of not defending when they are trying to score, and not removing their trackballs from bonus positions.