Raptor Track Drive - Andymark

Good evening everyone,

So I was browsing andymark today (ya know just a normal thing) and came across the new Raptor drive from them. Now I don’t know if this is just me but i’m getting some real flashbacks to 2016 with the rhino drive. I was wondering if any of you guys have any thoughts on this and if you think there will be some space rocks for us to get over in this space game this year if you know what I mean.:eek: Back in 2016 they definitely released the rhino to help with the tasks that year so I’m wondering if they are doing the same this year. Here is the link to the drive, https://www.andymark.com/products/raptor-track-drive?via=Z2lkOi8vYW5keW1hcmsvV29ya2FyZWE6OkNhdGFsb2c6OkNhdGVnb3J5LzVhZjhkN2Y1YmM2ZjZkNWUzNmYyMzRkOA

According to every official statement I’ve seen from FIRST and AndyMark, the release of the Rhino drive was purely coincidental. AndyMark had no knowledge of the nature of the game in 2016, nor do they now.

I think it’s a reasonable assumption to expect some level of rough terrain in 2019 but it would probably be wise to wait 'til kickoff to make any game-specific purchases.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

If you are interested in hearing more about the Raptor, Nick and Andy talked about some of what went into the design and testing tonight on Twitch.

Correct me if I am wrong but doesn’t FIRST give some indication of what the game is to distributors so they can prepare their product stock appropriately? Seems like good business practices.

I saw someone else say the same thing and now I’m starting to doubt myself. I agree that it would be a good business practice and would alleviate issues like teams spending whole matches beached on defenses like in 2016, if we were to receive products that served a similar role as the rhino track did. I think if all of the parties involved were more clear about this process going on, teams would be more likely to buy these mechanisms and (hopefully) build better robots.

I think it would be interesting if FIRST were to supply similar information to teams as they do (or don’t) supply to suppliers pre-kickoff. For instance, there is an elevated scoring platform in 2018, or a 2016 game object is some sort of sphere in 2016. Minor hints that don’t really reveal gameplay aspects entirely, but give something to teams to think about and test in the pre-season. It looks like FIRST is slowly moving towards making FRC a year-round activity or at least widening the build season. With the recent retirement of bag day, I won’t be surprised to see an info leak like this to teams as part of the schedule in the next few years. I think that would be the most practical way to get teams thinking and working before kickoff without stealing away the lives of mentors and students alike.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Yes, you are correct

Fwiw this has already been discussed in the andymark 2019 product launch thread