Raspberry Pi 3 Wiring and Programming for Vision

To wire the raspberry pi 3, we use a micro usb that is plugged into the VRM 5v/2a right? And an ethernet cord into the left radio port (the one closest to the power plug)?

After all of that is wired, then what? What do I need to install? Also I’m using C++, or at least I want to.

The port on the radio that is nearest to power, is for directly connecting to the roboRIO. The far port is for connecting something else (Pi, Kangaroo, switch, radio kiosk when programming the competition key).

You can also power the Pi via regular USB-to-micro-USB cable, plugging the USB end into the roboRIO.

Get an OS on an SD Card for the PI (Noobs or Raspbian)

Load GRIP onto the Pi

Figure out how to program the pi.

Plug the USB camera into the pi

I don’t think that is the recommended method. From the link:

At this time (13 Dec 2016), these instructions do not result in functional code. Multiple issues are open on the topic. According to @bradmiller running GRIP on the Pi or the RoboRio is not recommended. Instead, teams are encouraged to generate a Pipeline class from GRIP and incorporate that into their robot code.

So I generate a pipeline class? How would I use the pi then?

Wish I knew that before, we cut and stripped our friends charger lol.
(We said we are going to get him another one).
But yeah some researching told me to cut and strip a micro usb

I’d hate to see what you do to the chargers of people who aren’t your friends.

Install Python and pynetworktables on the Pi. Then write a little helper script that starts on boot, imports your pipeline class from GRIP, calls “process” on it, then feeds the desired values into NetworkTables, making them available to the robot code on the roboRIO.

okay and GRIP is on the DS Laptop or Pi?

p.s. sorry for so many questions

You run GRIP to create a pipeline to find what you’re looking for, then generate code to put in the program you run on the pi.