Raspberry Pi as an FM Transmitter

Okay, it’s not strictly robotics related, but the code was developed by the Imperial College Robotics Society… and it is totally awesome.

You’re not supposed to be able to turn a computer into an FM radio transmitter with software alone… but this works. Yes, it works much better and over a greater range if you add a little piece of wire as an antenna… but if you get your radio close enough then it works purely using the Raspberry Pi completely unmodified.

It is a great demonstration of why circuit board designers have to watch for interference when working on higher speed circuits.

I’m sure many people who have Pi’s have already seen the link, but maybe if you don’t have one, knowing that this works… perfectly… might be what you need to go get one. By themselves they are nothing special… but the Pi has developed an Arduino-like following that really makes it something special. Check it out… tutorial, video and code are here.

Jason

This is a variation on an ‘oldie’ but goodie:

http://www.digibarn.com/collections/movies/digibarn-tv/erik-klein-altair-8800-playing/

What to do when your computational machine really needs a Commodore SID chip :yikes:

Now if you’ll excuse me I need to solder some resistors to my parallel port and play some .MOD files.

Looks interesting! I will have to play with this sometime.

While we are on the topic of off-topic Raspberry Pi uses… I just recieved my BrickPi. It’s a board that sits on top of the Pi and allows you to plug in LEGO Mindstorms NXT motors and sensors. 5 sensors, 4 motors. I haven’t had a chance to do anything with it, but am excited to.

Those are some cool links… I knew it was possible to get AM signals, if not music, using an Arduino but it turns out that with a few additional components and Arduino will do music on AM, too. Its neat to see an old Altair do that, though.

And I quote my well-used “Commodore 64 Programmer’s Reference Guide”, page 184:

Your Commodore computer is equipped with one of the most sophisticated electronic music synthesizers available on any computer…

In my opinion, quite possibly the single best computer manual I have ever read.

Jason

The Commodore manuals were great for a wide audience.

However the original XT/AT manuals from IBM are some of the best x86 manuals I’ve seen.
If not a bit wanting for those new to computers.

Before Commodore the best manuals I had seen were Digital’s for the PDP computers.