RC w/o OI

I have an Issac32 full-size R/C and both the radio modems for it. The R/C is from the year 2001, and the firmware has not been upgraded. Is there any way to have the R/C function without an OI present? I don’t have one easily available, and thus my code for a demo isn’t being executed.

I would think that the new autonomous mode features would allow operation w/o an OI, but I have never seen the RC run without an OI present. Is it possible on year 2001 controllers?

This is a rather complex and long-discussed issue, but here we go:

1. The RC will still execute PBASIC without an OI attached. Trust me on this one as I did it many times while preparing to write RoboEmu.

2. The RC will NOT send information to PWMs or relays without an OI. Basically, the SERIN will cause your program to hang if I remember correctly.

3. Auto mode will also not work without the OI. The RC depends on the OI for things like Team number, disabled/enabled, auto/no-auto, etc. It just plain won’t work without it.

I know Wildstang made a mini-OI out of (I think) an HC08 uP. They may be willing to share. Also, I’m working on some other stuff, but it’s going to remain secret until I make sure it’s not going to destroy anything.

If you dig around long enough, you can probably find some other threads dealing with this issue.

–Rob

*Originally posted by rbayer *
3. Auto mode will also not work without the OI. The RC depends on the OI for things like Team number, disabled/enabled, auto/no-auto, etc. It just plain won’t work without it.

If I remember right, if you set the team number dip switches on the RC to team 0, it puts the RC into autonomous mode, and you don’t need the OI for it to work.

The 2001 controllers don’t have autonomous mode, and their firmware can’t be upgraded as that service is only available for 2002 controllers. If I remember correctly, even that requires an OI as you have to set the team number to 0 on both the OI and the RC. Has anyone tried this? I’d be very interested to hear about it.

–Rob

I don’t know if this will help with an older RC, but I found these quotes from Innovation FIRST:

Innovation First, Inc. Programming Reference Guide

—1.3.2003 www.InnovationFirst.com Page 14

Note: Before the PBASIC program will start executing, the Robot Controller must have a Valid RX (link) to an OI or the RC must be in Autonomous Mode.

—1.3.2003 www.InnovationFirst.com Page 18

Autonomous Mode can be turned ON by setting the RC to Team 0 (zero) and power cycling the RC unit.

*Originally posted by rbayer *
The 2001 controllers don’t have autonomous mode

Oops! Sorry. I missed seeing that the beginning of the thread was asking about the old RC.:o