Recipes for Success (As found in The Zebracorn's BOM)

I thought I’d take a moment to share some extracts from our BOM this year since the RIs we dealt with never said anything about them to us, though at least one of them stared at the BOM for 2 full minutes and another set a record by staring at it for over 5 minutes. I don’t know what they were looking for but they missed the obvious.

Please make the BOM go away… please.

47 Likes

I never got a chance to see your robot this year… did you build cookie monster?

10 Likes

But how am I to know what temperature and length of time to bake?

7 Likes

Me just humble mentor, not robot inspector. Me do love cookies though.

17 Likes

What was the reasoning for not considering the egg-laying hens team members?

15 Likes

At least you left the raisins out. Raisins do not belong in the BOM, cookies, or brownies glares at JVN

31 Likes

Hey, can you not derail my serious thread with discussion of religion?

31 Likes

I can appreciate the MMX PBS :wink:

4 Likes

Man, you really showed them. I bet FIRST is super embarrassed and will totally get rid of the BOM now :roll_eyes:

82 Likes

This thread reminds me that we missed an opportunity. Our team was sponsored by Instant Pot this year and we really should have included our team’s favourite Instant Pot Loaded Mac & Cheese recipe somewhere either on board our robot or as part of our judge’s packet.

4 Likes

I’ve tried the usual approach of working the plethora of back channels to make it happen along with pressing every LRI and RI I know and then some. Nothing seems to work given that the decision making structure is somewhere between “it’s always been like that” and “I changed that rule at the last minute before other people could review it”.

There is no real procedure for making change within FRC so I’m going to have fun with it. If anyone feels embarrassed to do anything then great? If not then some of us got a laugh out of it.

6 Likes

Only eggs will sustain my robot!!!

We had a similar experience of having the wrong motors and pistons in our BOM for at least one inspection before I noticed and corrected it (we did a piston and DT motor swap midseason).
No one ever said anything.

2 Likes

Have you considered that’s because the inspectors know you are you and are just ignoring your trolling?

9 Likes

Sounds like unfair enforcement to me./s

That’s most likely what is happening. Also their BOM is very long. We condense as many things as we can. The inspector we always reads it and this year one even pointed out that we were buying extremely expensive bars. This helped us out for the next season. And in my opinion the BOM is the best way to see robot costs and how else would they limit/gauge how much you spent?

Eggs are of type P for Poached

3 Likes

Not likely.

I would have had a lot of questions about this BOM, had I inspected your robot…

3 Likes

My daughter’s team used hickory for chain tensioners that was sourced from my dad’s backyard. So QA 178 actually applied to their BOM. As far as I know they were never asked if Mother Nature was a team member.

5 Likes

No butter?

Maybe the RIs took the high road.

1 Like