Regional Team Experience Level

I was wondering if there was much difference between the experience levels at different regional tournaments. Using team number as an indicator of team age (and therefore institutional experience) I calculated the average team number for every regional this year. I also calculated the standard deviation, but it turned out to be similar across all regionals so I did not include it (it turns out that the data doesn’t bunch up very much).

Regional Average
PHILADELPHIA 640
BAE 729
UTC 754
GLR 776
DETROIT 789
W MICHIGAN 834
BUCKEYE 859
PITTSBURGH 864
LONG ISLAND 883
NJ 919
VCU 941
SVR 948
PALMETTO 952
NYC 961
FLORIDA 982
FINGER LAKES 998
MIDWEST 1028
CHESAPEAKE 1036
DAVIS 1054
TORONTO 1060
BOSTON 1073
SO CAL 1074
BOILERMAKER 1077
WISCONSIN 1089
ARIZONA 1106
WATERLOO 1106
LAS VEGAS 1142
PNW 1183
LONE STAR 1192
PEACHTREE 1285
ST. LOUIS 1337
DENVER 1420
ISRAEL 1813

Not surprisingly, Israel is the “youngest” regional, while Denver is the “youngest” North American regional. I don’t know what this means, but I thought you all might find it interesting.

It could also be an indicator of the growth of FIRST in the area.

interesting data.

there are a few low numbered teams whose number does not represent
their age - there were some numbers recycled before switching to the
latest system of new team = new number.

I don’t know where you can get the info, but it could have an influence -

The best bet is probably going through FIRSTwiki team by team (sounds like a treat :rolleyes: ).

I’m pretty sure Team 4 is a 2004 Rookie team, which could really throw the calculations off for their regionals. If you’ve got time could you crunch the data for the Championships as a whole and the divisions?

I agree with the stats for the Chesapeake regional. With 15 rookie teams out of 64 attending, and seeing the preparedness of the rookies at this event, I can see your calculation making perfect sense.

Philly is at max capacity with 46 teams (smallest capacity of any regional). It fills up with mostly local veteran teams immediately. Only 2 rookie teams registered. I expect great things from them like 2 previous Philly Rookie All-Stars, 1218 and 1391, who have grown into great teams.

Philly probably would register 50-60 if space would allow. Much like the Mid-Atlantic (New Jersey) Regional at Rutgers, it just needs a bigger venue (and it may get it with an old Coast Guard Armory). My team has made Philly their home regional and attended it ever since our rookie year (2000 - 7 years). I’ve been going there so long I know the most of the team names by number.

We are also happy to have some “very experienced” New England friends visiting us, 157 The Aztechs (Won it in 2002), 173 Rage (I bet Jeff had a say in that decision), 177 Bobcats (Won it in 2004). It should be a very competitive regional.