Regional Video Loads Shoots and Climbs BAE GSR

For anyone who wants an up close view of what kind of action transpires on the playing field and what kind of robots you’ll see.
Many of these were discussed here on CD.

There was a full court shooter:

Team 1519 Mechanical Mayhem.
This strategy, combined with a floor pickup robot as they were in the Eliminations teamed with Team 885, The GREEN Team, may be a harbinger of what the eliminations at The Championship Event will look like.
It eliminates midfield traffic, both scorers are protected, and it leaves one robot to play defense.

A robot with no wheels:

The Dirty Birds, Team 213 from Keene, New Hampshire, climbing for 30 Points.
The question was asked at one point, can we build a robot without a drivetrain or wheels.
The answer is yes.
A One Trick Pony that does what it does very well.
To answer your potential question, yes they did have a drivetrain and intended to use it. I think their final weight was 50 lbs.

A Robot with a Leaf Blower:

Team Phoenix, 2342 has a very unique shooter.
Sometimes it worked really well, this time, not so good, but you still have to admire their creative approach.

A Robot being knocked off the Pyramid by another:

Team 3360, Hyperion, from Sherbrooke, QC is knocked of the Pyramid.

20 point technical plus a 30 Point Maximum climb award (whether they could do it or not) for a 50 point Penalty,
The Red Alliance featuring 3360 Hyperion, 509 Red Storm, and 151 The Tough Techs beat the Blue Alliance teams of 4124 Integration by Parts, 1922 Oz-Ram, and 1517 The Lumberjacks, by a score of 76 - 51, largely due to this 50 point penalty that was awarded to Red.

This is a whole match and one of my favorites of the few I managed to grab.
There is the whole Robot falling off the pyramid thing, but then there is also the opening shot from behind the player station during autonomous.
Hyperion’s Robot has a dragon on it. :ahh: More importantly, they won the spirit award.:slight_smile: One of their team members did play-by-play en francais.:confused:
A little dead spot after the fall while they try to get back on the pyramid, but then…

…Check out the Lumberjacks 1517 at the end (1:30).
If that isn’t one of the Steampunkiest drivetrains.
Plus their shooter looks cool and is made out of wood. They are The Lumberjacks after all.
And then, wait until you see how they have approached the pyramid climb.

4124, Integration by parts went on to win the Regional with Team 610 from Toronto and 3609 The Duct Tape Bandits.

A Robot falling from almost the 3rd level while desperately trying to dunk at the buzzer:

Team 1831, The Screaming Eagles, in the best Robot Fall of the season so far.
They had almost reached the 3rd level and tried to dump their colored Frisbees in their pyramid goal…it was all downhill from there. Right down to the buzzer.

I got really lucky in that I happened to catch the only two falls all weekend.

Blue Alliance wins 72 - 37.

I was originally trying to catch Team 61 Blackstone Valley Robotics with their totally insane climb method. (I mean it, you gasp every time) Unfortunately, due to the fact that they played a little defense, they weren’t able to perform their acrobatics because they usually needed to align their robot perfectly for it to perform its stunt.

This match also features CHAOS, team 131, with another outstanding robot, who were upset in the quarter finals but went on to win the far more significant Chairman’s award.

Then there is Team 175 Buzz, who did the upsetting with 61 and Team 172 Northern Force, they were the 7th seeded alliance, all the way until they lost in the Finals.

A Robot shooting another Robot in the face on purpose:

I was trying capture how effective Team 610 The Coyotes from Toronto was at this Regional. Their alliance won the regional. They shot one frisbee per second and made at least 90% of their shots in the three point goal. They won the Regional as well as this match, 92 - 36.

While I did a poor job of capturing their performance, I got even better footage of 610 shooting a frisbee right at and hitting 2342, who was playing annoying defense on them (0:35).
If you watch 610’s drivers during this match, you will see that as the reason they are so successful.
Look back at the video of them shooting the Frisbee at 2342, that was definitely intentional and awesome. They even tried to do it a second time.
This could have easily been a penalty.

Also of note here is Team 138 Entropy. They shoot while they hang.
They, along with 610 were both 9-1.

Check out Team 1991 The Dragons in the background on the Blue pyramid accomplishing a bizarre anthropomorphic tendon filled pull-up chin-up for a 30 point climb.

Also featured is Team 1073 The Force Team, 172 Northern Force.

Enjoy and good luck everyone.
This years game is one of the best.

A Robot shooting another Robot in the face on purpose:
http://youtu.be/_YMPCUb2gCc

While I did a poor job of capturing their performance, I got even better footage of 610 shooting a frisbee right at and hitting 2342, who was playing annoying defense on them (0:35).
If you watch 610’s drivers during this match, you will see that as the reason they are so successful.
Look back at the video of them shooting the Frisbee at 2342, that was definitely intentional and awesome. They even tried to do it a second time.
This could have easily been a penalty.

It’s funny how this could have been perceived by an outside observer. In actual fact, we had a frisbee jam during autonomous and were trying to clear it. I don’t think this had any effect on 2342 :slight_smile:

Thanks for posting these videos. You certainly captured some of the most memorable things to happen at a great tournament. I loved seeing the diversity of the robots, especially the climbers.

I must say I never saw 885 actually pick up any frisbees from the ground. That being said, your point here is still perfectly valid, as it is a solid strategy.

It was the sequence and how your drivers seemed to turn your shooter to face Team Phoenix and fire, and then shot again while pushing them back…I am probably mistaken. Still, ask your drivers?

I saw that your shooter was jammed, so your actions made sense. Nonetheless, it appeared to be one of the most anthropomorphic actions that I have seen a robot do in a long time.

Thanks for posting these videos. You certainly captured some of the most memorable things to happen at a great tournament. I loved seeing the diversity of the robots, especially the climbers.

Yes, it was a really great week one event. 610 was inspirational and your compatriots from Quebec, 3360 Hyperion, really brought the spirit.

I can confirm that this was completely unintentional. We had a disk jam at the beginning of the autonomous period, so when tele-op started, the operator and I were trying to jar it loose. The sporadic driving and consequential random firing of the disks were just attempts of getting the disk out of the shooter. The fact that the first one nailed 2342, and the second one came close was purely accidental. There was surely no malicious intent involved.

Just to add a third observer to the conversation. We think we had a poorly seated disc in the robot before the match, and had a disc jam in autonomous.

In autonomous, we usually shoot 3, then back-up to the centre line. Our robot remained motionless because of the jammed disc.

At the beginning of tele-op we tried to shoot the discs for a few seconds, and once we realized we were jammed badly, we played defense on the first robot we found: 2342.

In the meantime, our operator went into “jam clearing mode” where he essentially continued to fire our feeder until something came out.

After trading a pretty aggressive bump with 2342, the jam worked itself loose, and you can see a disc dribble out the shooter at 0:32. The drive team can’t see this as the robot is turned away from us, and there are several robots in the way, but this video shows it very nicely. The operator continues to fire, and shoots a disc at 2342. At this point, our operator yells “I think we’re good again, I’m not sure…” and shortly after another disc emerged from our shooter directed straight at Libby Kamen’s head, who was photographing from the sidelines.

Believe me, conspiracy theorists had a field day! :ahh:

Sorry to burst what was a pretty fun storyline, but I can honestly tell you we had no interest in putting 12 pts worth of discs into an opponent’s robot, nor did we want to give Libby a frisbee hair-cut. Those who know me well, know that I’d much rather have had the extra 12 pts!

Hopefully we’ll never have to use “jam clearing mode” ever again, but if we do, you can pretty much guarantee something crazy is going to happen!

Thanks for posting these videos! I missed a lot of these moments as I don’t get a chance to see a lot of matches… You could produce a pretty sweet FRC promo video from all these moments that you were fortunate enough to capture!

You didn’t hit me with the jam-clearer during this match.

You hit me in the face during the first quarterfinal… where, you know… our teams were on the same alliance. :stuck_out_tongue:

Conspiracy theorists, back to your keyboards! :ahh:

(In all safety-seriousness - team photographers, STAY BACK. I was wearing my safety glasses, and the net slowed it down - but still, OW.)

EDIT:: Just saw the comment in the OP about 4124 knocking Hyperion off the pyramid. I’m not the coach, but I can tell you for sure that was not intentional. We would never, ever do that.

If they were to do the climb again after this, and make it to the top, would it count as an additional 30 points or nothing at all?

It’s max climb plus whatever climb points you happen to actually get. So, if they’d made it to the top, 30 (climb) plus 30 (max climb) plus 20 (Technical) is a whopping 80-point penalty. Speed climbers, take note!

That didn’t happen last year after balancing.

Last year’s rules do not apply to this year. Q&A has said that robots who are interfered with can climb for as many points as they can, along with the foul points.

I understand that and the rule is the same as last year’s but I did not see that Q&A question.

I’ll point you to it, then. Q141, at https://frc-qa.usfirst.org/Question/141/per-g16-and-g27-a-robot-is-awarded-points-for-a-level-3-climb-if-their-climb-is-interfered-with-if-the-disrupted-robot-attempts-another-climb-after-the-incident-is-it-eligible-for-additional-climb-p

What if their second climb attempt is also interfered with?

Here is the Q&A question referred to.
https://frc-qa.usfirst.org/Question/141/per-g16-and-g27-a-robot-is-awarded-points-for-a-level-3-climb-if-their-climb-is-interfered-with-if-the-disrupted-robot-attempts-another-climb-after-the-incident-is-it-eligible-for-additional-climb-p

Oh hey I asked that question. I thought it was an interesting, if not unexpected, response. I’m glad to see it was an actually applicable question.

Same penalty would take effect. At that point, I would suspect the ref would probably be thinking about pulling out the cards for egregious behavior, as well.

The message sent to teams by the pyramid penalty is, do not repeat do not interfere if someone is climbing! At best, it’s a 30-point penalty–and it can only get higher.