Relationships and FIRST

Posted by Tate Tickoff at 03/30/2001 12:29 AM EST

Other on team #-666, The Guggenheims, from Transylvania Low and Dr. Frakenfuter.

So? What is everyones opinion of this topic? It’s probably been brought up before but an online buddy of mine just had his whole world shook up. What an obsessed geek… anyways. So, do they work or not? Considering that the usual distance between the two sweethearts is around 1400 miles.

So should these things be taken as mere flings or as something a bit more? After all, I’m sure that there are more than 6 and a half people on this forum who have brought up the idea of a FIRST marriage.

Though I’d bet that Dean has dibs on that. Anyways, opinions are welcome, just keep them as clean as possible folks.

-Tate Tickoff
“Uh, officer, that’s ‘Tate’ not ‘Teat’.”

Posted by Anton Abaya at 03/30/2001 3:59 AM EST

Coach on team #419, Rambots, from UMass Boston / BC High and If only we had free donuts…

In Reply to: Relationships and FIRST
Posted by Tate Tickoff on 03/30/2001 12:29 AM EST:

fling, boredom, playing, hormones, puppy love? whatever it is, enjoy it while it lasts, if it lasts, or if it materializes. heck, go with it, have fun and see what happens.

as with anything, things can break, people change, people can look funny, they might have weird voices, or you might even have holy wars about soda drinks.

play the game, be the player. dont be a sucker.

-anton who likes to play innocent
“dont hate the player? ha! play with the player.”

NINNIEEEES!!

: So? What is everyones opinion of this topic? It’s probably been brought up before but an online buddy of mine just had his whole world shook up. What an obsessed geek… anyways. So, do they work or not? Considering that the usual distance between the two sweethearts is around 1400 miles.

: So should these things be taken as mere flings or as something a bit more? After all, I’m sure that there are more than 6 and a half people on this forum who have brought up the idea of a FIRST marriage.

: Though I’d bet that Dean has dibs on that. Anyways, opinions are welcome, just keep them as clean as possible folks.

: -Tate Tickoff
: “Uh, officer, that’s ‘Tate’ not ‘Teat’.”

Posted by Erin at 03/30/2001 8:16 AM EST

Other on team #65, Huskie Brigade, from Pontiac Northern High School and GM Powertrain.

I think it’s just plain wierd to get involved with someone who is on a FIRST team halfway or totally across the country from you. If you think about it, all you could really ever have in common is FIRST. It’s scary knowing that some of the students develop relationships with others and only see them at Nationals…it’s like, how will you ever really know what this person is like? Besides, you aren’t supposed to be here for the guys or girls! (This is something that quite openly upsets me). My boyfriend is involved in FIRST and on a different team, however, we went to the same high school and we live in the same community so it’s not like we are halfway across the state from each other and FIRST is the entire basis of our even knowing each other (actually we sat next to each other in Spanish 2 in 10th grade, so FIRST came after friendship…)
But IMHO, if you are going to try to have a relationship with someone on another team, first and foremost, keep it professional and don’t let it get in the way of what your team is doing. That would be crazy and totally perposterous to me if that was the only reason some of these kids were there (even though we all know that it is the only reason for some)…

Just my two and a half cents.

Erin

Posted by s_alaniz at 03/30/2001 10:03 PM EST

Other on team #57 from Houston Regional co-ordinator.

In Reply to: Hmm…my opinion on this issue
Posted by Erin on 03/30/2001 8:16 AM EST:

Yikes! I guess I’ve made a mistake! I’ve been working
with the guys I mentor on their social skills. Things like:

• keep your shoes on…(preferably on your feet)…

• belching your name is NOT going to impress anyone
    into giving you their phone number…

• walk upright and try not to drag your knuckles…

hope none of this leads to one of those long distance
relationships…

Oh well… you ladies will just have to look out!

Best of luck!

Steve Alaniz

Posted by Tim Allen at 03/30/2001 11:33 PM EST

Student on team #57, Leopards, from Booker T Washington/HSEP and ExxonMobil, KBR, Powell Electric.

In Reply to: Re: Hmm…my opinion on this issue
Posted by s_alaniz on 03/30/2001 10:03 PM EST:

I don’t remember you teaching that. Mabye you just tought it to the electronics team. See you all at Nats.

Tim Allen

: Yikes! I guess I’ve made a mistake! I’ve been working
: with the guys I mentor on their social skills. Things like:
: * keep your shoes on…(preferably on your feet)…

: * belching your name is NOT going to impress anyone
: into giving you their phone number…

: * walk upright and try not to drag your knuckles…

: hope none of this leads to one of those long distance
: relationships…

: Oh well… you ladies will just have to look out!

:
: Best of luck!

: Steve Alaniz

Posted by Veronica at 03/31/2001 11:49 AM EST

Student on team #27, Team Rush, from Osmtech and Textron.

In Reply to: Re: Hmm…my opinion on this issue
Posted by Tim Allen on 03/30/2001 11:33 PM EST:

: :our head coach and one one of our main engineers are married, they joined first together and it works out fine, as far as students go i agree with erin, it is cool to get to talk to someone form another team online and meet them at nats but expecting it to be a relationship half way across the country is not reasonable, and if the only reason you are in this is to be able to see some guy then u really need to sit back and think about what you are doing. If there are a lot of teams near by and you happen to hook up with one of those members i guess that is fine as long as again like erin said u are professional about it and you keep in mind that your team comes first. but on the other hand having someone who is in first and can totally relate to all of your complaints and sucesses is nice, someone who u don’t have to explain the scoring to and u can chat about drive systems with and not get looked at funny is nice too. just keep in mind why u r in first and use good judgement.
V

Posted by Jessica Boucher at 03/30/2001 3:09 PM EST

Student on team #237, Sie-H2O-Bots, from Watertown High School and Eastern Awning Systems & The Siemon Company.

Oooook, anyone who knows me knows my 3 rules about being in FIRST & dating:

1.) Do not date on your team.
2.) If you must date on your team, don’t date one of your own kind (aka, the driver should not be dating the human player, the head accountant should not be dating head of fundraising)
3.) If you date someone who’s not on a FIRST team, make sure they feel as important as the team is to you…especially in-season.

That was my credo for a looong time, and though I know that exceptions do work, it’s still a good thing to keep in mind. I personally don’t like the idea of cross-country relationships, but if it works, more power to them.

-Jessica B, #237

Btw, IS that your team number?

Posted by David Kelso at 03/30/2001 6:36 PM EST

Coach on team #131, C.H.A.O.S.-, from Central High School and OSRAM SYLVANIA/ Fleet .

In Reply to: Re: Relationships and FIRST
Posted by Jessica Boucher on 03/30/2001 3:09 PM EST:

After reading all that, is it ok for advisors to be married…or for them to have children on the same team?? Hate to make a choice between FIRST and married life or parenthood.

Posted by Angela “Fish” Hall at 03/31/2001 4:55 PM EST

Student on team #180, SPAM Robotics, from Martin County High School and UTC/Pratt&Whitney .

Posted by David Kelso on 03/30/2001 6:36 PM EST:

: After reading all that, is it ok for advisors to be married…or for them to have children on the same team?? Hate to make a choice between FIRST and married life or parenthood.

A few of our advisors/engineers are married and have kids…not with other advisors but still. They seem to handle it fine. The women have joined a FIRST Wives Club. Their motto is: Coping with losing our husbands for six weeks out of the year for the sake of the team.

Posted by Michael Betts at 03/31/2001 5:36 PM EST

Engineer on team #177, Bobcat Robotics, from South Windsor High School and International Fuel Cells.

Posted by Angela on 03/31/2001 4:55 PM EST:

: A few of our advisors/engineers are married and have kids…not with other advisors but still. They seem to handle it fine. The women have joined a FIRST Wives Club. Their motto is: Coping with losing our husbands for six weeks out of the year for the sake of the team.

The Bobcats host a “Widow’s and Orphan’s Breakfast” each year. It’s held on a Sunday morning at about five weeks into the competition.

Posted by ChrisH at 03/31/2001 7:45 PM EST

Engineer on team #330, Beach 'Bots, from Hope Chapel Academy and NASA JPL, J & F Machine, Raytheon, et al.

Posted by Michael Betts on 03/31/2001 5:36 PM EST:

: The Bobcats host a “Widow’s and Orphan’s Breakfast” each year. It’s held on a Sunday morning at about five weeks into the competition.

I think this is a neat idea. ALL of our engineers are married though I’m the only one with a kid at home and not on the team. Well I guess there’s one other this year but he’s merely between kids at the moment.

Along with our other buttons I had special ones made up for the wives of engineers who were not on the team themselves. They read “Offical Robo-Widow”. My wife loved it and wears it every excuse she gets. They usually get a nice gift at the Thank You dinner we hold for all of our sponsors too.

Remeber to show appreciation for the spouses of your technical team or advisors. If an advisor has been a good influence on you then be sure to tell the SPOUSE if you get a chance. This will let them know that their sacrifice is worthwhile and appreciated.

Otherwise you may have to hunt up new volunteers which is difficult, and they have to make the same mistakes your team did last year.

Chris Husmann, PE
Lead, Manipulator
Team 330 the Beach’Bots
Husband and Father

Posted by Erica Schindler at 04/01/2001 1:13 AM EST

Other on team #177, Bobcat Robotics, from South Windsor High School and International Fuel Cells/ ONSI Corporation.

Posted by Michael Betts on 03/31/2001 5:36 PM EST:

Gee, i never heard of that one…
hmmmm…
big secret erica wasnt let in on???
:slight_smile: