Reminder from a posting vet

There are many, many new posters on this website. I tend to put this message out about once a year, and it’s about time for it to be sent again.

Be careful what you type in here. Keep your emotions in check and keep an open mind.

Veterans: Keep yourself grounded. Don’t act too aloof, and remember that you were once rookies also. Sure offer advice and try to help other teams, but realize that some of these new teams will get by just fine doing it their way… not yours.

Rookies: Keep your heads about you. You’re gonna get alot of advice and guidance from people who want to help you out… until you tick them off. Rocking the boat and being controversial will definitely cause you more harm than good.

Remeber this… all of you… what you type in here represents your team, your school, your sponsors and your community. You may be the only exposure that your team has to all of these teams who read these Forums. Think if yourself as an ambassador of your team.

These teams who are represented in here may be paired with you in the finals… then again… they may also be against you. You may be suprised.

See ya at the competitions,
Andy B.

A lot of discussions have been happening because different people have different believes of their own. And that’s fine, as long as you explain what you think, and don’t force your opinions on others.

Well, “force” is such a strong, because people are just trying to convince others that they are right, while not realizing both side could be right. So, in the process, people use the argument “I am right because you are wrong”, and the discussion went downhill from there.

I’ve been through this in a thread long time ago, when people had hot-headed discussion about National qualification @ this thread:
As an objective reader, here is my sincere opinions…

So I am not going to go through it again.

I think all it take is a little more listening and less fault picking… and a little toleration and consideration to others about their trouble and frustration… Maybe this will work out if we keep an open mind and accept the different voices.

There is no reason to be offended by anything in this forum… After all, we are just trying to share ideas.

So, before you are going to post a message. Pause for a second, and think: is this really what you want to say, or is this a quick respond fuel by pure impulse after reading a respond?

To people who are new to this place: This people in this forum really do like to share their ideas, and are willing to teach you whatever they know. So take advantage of this… Ask your questions or post your comments, and listen and learn from the responds. I’ve learned a great deal this way, and so can you.

Thanks Andy,
Also, as a reminder for new and frequent posters -
Everyones opinions are welcome as long as they, don’t cross the line on vulgarity - no cursing
and are posted in the appropriate section (rumors should be posted in rumors area, etc.)
Remember to show some respect or gracious professionalism when posting - it’s very easy to go over the line. then regret it later.
The purpose of our website is to offer a place to exchange ideas, debate relevent FIRST issues, and to just meet our fellow FIRST teams.
Our hope is that this be accomplished by showing respect to all posters. We don’t want to have to police the boards, (we do because we host it), but we our wish is that everyone else that enjoys this site will assist us, but in doing so respect everyone’s opinion.
Please Keep Posting - open communication can solve so many problems, but, lets not forget to communicate in the appropriate manner.

Another note to rookie teams:

Please try not to take any bit of advice a veteran may give you as a personal attack against your design or team. 9 times out of 10 all we are trying to do is possibly spark some idea in your team, not saying your wrong in any way. Take the advice, politely say thank you, and just take it for what its worth. The less confrontation the better.

Also, don’t be intimidated, come ask how our machines work if you find part of it intriguing, feel free to ask us to come look at yours, and show us what you accomplished, its all about the community anyway isn’t it?

asher

With the recent bashing of multiple teams in multiple threads, I’d like to bring this thread up again.

Andy said it best, and I’d just like to remind everyone that “…what you type in here represents your team, your school, your sponsors and your community…” … and it represents the spirit of FIRST.

Lets stop the bashing, false/harmful rumors and accusing.

Thank you, Brandon for bringing this back up. I was actually looking for this thread earlier today! I think that it is said best in the posts above. Please, there isn’t any need to start rumors, especially those that are going to hurt other teams or other FIRSTers. That’s just not in the spirit. I think Andy Baker said it best when he said, “what you type in here represents your team, your school, your sponsors and your community. You may be the only exposure that your team has to all of these teams who read these Forums. Think if yourself as an ambassador of your team.”

• Katie

To play the devil’s advocate, what about the people who recently have created anonymous account’s for the sole purpose of bashing or making comments that they would not want associated with their team?

~Tom Fairchild~

*Originally posted by Tom Fairchild *
**To play the devil’s advocate, what about the people who recently have created anonymous account’s for the sole purpose of bashing or making comments that they would not want associated with their team?

~Tom Fairchild~ **

9 times out of 10 they’ll be found out & dealt with on an individual basis.

** cough, cough **

bump

Newcomers: please page up and read the this thread in its entirety. Learn from the vets. Represent your team well. Take your time when writing a post. The few seconds you take to make your post readible will save the rest of us readers much time. Also, you may appear smarter in the process.

If you think that I am referring to you, then I probably am.

Andy B., the old codger

Adult mentors

Take time to read what your team members are putting on the forums so you can act quick enough to get it off of here. Some simple reading and monitoring can save your team some unwanted publicity. I come from the sporting side of things where trash talking is an every day thing and widely accepted but it does not play well in the FIRST community. This is coming from someone who has pulled many of my teams post from here and have been saved lots of trouble from a great host in Brandon.

Trying to create a kinder gentler Cyber Blue

Rookies: If you are going to come to these forums without an open mind, you aren’t going to benefit from the immense amount of information and resources available from this site or begin to forge new FIRST friendships that will take your team a long way.

Veterans: If you are going to come to these forums without an open heart, remember what gets you into this program, what gets you fired up about competition, and what keeps you coming back for more.

Amanda

*Originally posted by Andy Baker *

Newcomers: please page up and read the this thread in its entirety. Learn from the vets. Represent your team well. Take your time when writing a post. The few seconds you take to make your post readible will save the rest of us readers much time. Also, you may appear smarter in the process.

If you think that I am referring to you, then I probably am.

Andy B., the old codger

Great reminder!
GRACIOUS PROFESSIONALISM should be practice here too!

Rich, even older codger

This should be made global and/or sticky.

This does have some valuable info. in it.

I was going to tell Andy that he could forgot to ‘remeber’ to mention the spellchecker, then noticed that it was a long dead thread resurected.

The Rules are your friend.

Wetzel

Don't get a rule made to prevent your behavior.
:rolleyes: