Renaming the FIRST Robotics Competition

After 5 years involved with FIRST thus far, I think FIRST ought to consider finding a nice catchy name other than “The FIRST Robotics Competition” or “The FIRST Competition”. I know that the game is named each year, but I think it would be beneficial to have a name that would last year after year… other than FIRST. There is no reason the robotics competition has to have the name of the non-profit organization (FIRST) that sponsors it. In addition to being – in my opinion – a pretty lame acronym (what is first supposed to mean???), what it stands for is equally cryptic:
The For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology Robotics Competition.

Why not something like “The High School Robotics Challenge” that will actually make some reading the name understand what it is.

For example, 2003 game could be titled:
The High School Robotics Challege: Stack Attack

Somebody can probably come up with a much better title than I can. In summary, FIRST is really cryptic, and it takes me approximately a minute or more to explain to someone that it is an acronym, what it stands for, and then by that point they’ve stopped listening anyway because it’s gone over their head. And then if I have to explain the rules… well that’s another headache. A better title would solve the first (no pun intended) problem.

So let’s hear your opinion! (and any names if you can think of them)

• Patrick

My theory:

If it isn’t broken, do not fix it. FIRST has always been FIRST and it should always remain FIRST

FIRST= For Inspiration & Recognition in Science & Technology

I can explain that in 8 words. Also, the competition itself should not be renamed so it dosn’t loose the focus. It’s not a competition that is the main focus, but FIRST. To get kids inspired, not gain points in a competition.

When it comes down to it, FIRST dosn’t need a catchy name, it’s not a product you buy at a store, add water, then you get a product to help your life; it’s an effort to change the world.

*Originally posted by D.J. Fluck *
** FIRST has always been FIRST and it should always remain FIRST **
Well, except for when it was USFIRST. j/k

I don’t think FIRST is too cryptic. I voted to leave it.

I voted to leave it the same.

On the subject of the name…

Why do we see soooooooo many teams still refer to FIRST as “U.S. FIRST”? I go to many FIRST teams’ websites, and they often call it “US FIRST”. Sure, that what the name used to be… 6 YEARS AGO!

OK, and the website is “www.usfirst.org”… maybe that is throwing people off. I dunno. The name FIRST is OK with me, but people need to clue in (especially FIRST teams) and call it the right thing.

Andy B.

I agree with dj.

It isn’t broke so dont fix it.

I don’t mean to be Mr. Perfect, but FIRST means:

United States Foundation For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology…

Change it !?!?! Kidding me?

there is no need to change the name…FIRST is an acronym that stands for everything that FIRST is all about…

*Originally posted by marlon_jbt *
**I don’t mean to be Mr. Perfect, but FIRST means:
United States Foundation For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology… **

Not according to their website…

FIRST— For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology

On the release forms:

As used below, “FIRST” shall mean United States Foundation For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and
Technology

So I dunno :stuck_out_tongue:

Most likely the longer version is the Official name of the FIRST organization. They most likely would have that name as their official name but then they have first as a more common form of the name.

Josh is not my legal name but its the name i go by…similar to how USFIRST goes by FIRST

*Originally posted by marlon_jbt *
**United States Foundation For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology… **

Technically, it isn’t United States only anymore… so I guess they just took that out. There’s even a Canadian Regional, so that wouldn’t make sense to make it only USFIRST.

Leave it. There’s nothing else that could do this program justice.

I think the name should stay. The only problem I ever saw with it was the FIRST robotics competition 2001 10th Aviversery shirt. The combo of FIRST and 10th aniversery confused people but it was easily explained.

The name FIRST is self-explanitory. It focuses on Inspiring and not the competition.

One of the only reasons I can see a name change to be needed is if corporations start to question the amount of PR they get for each dollar spent on FIRST. When you say FIRST to some one that is unaware of what FIRST is, they have no idea that it has to do with a robotics competition along with many other things. Since FIRST seems to trade on the robotics competition, even though some times they would rather not, I think having the word robot or robotics would be a positive direction for FIRST to take. This would also allow corporations to use this term and have instant public recognition, creating better PR.

I’m also going to have to agree. If it ain’t broke dont try to fix it, and there’s no reason to go break it. :smiley:

it should stay as FIRST

along with what Andy Baker said, it also annoys me when people put F.I.R.S.T. it’s FIRST cummon people:]

Sorry Patrick. I know it’s not a pretty name. I know, I’ve been trying to explain the competition to random people I met when I travel around, and it never quite come out right when I start saying the full name.

But, the fact is, FIRST have been around more than 10 years, and the name itself have its own reputation. Once you change the name, people might mis-understand it as somethign else, or think that something changed the organization.

Besides, all my FIRST shirts have the FIRST logo and FIRST on it, so changing it would make them worthless :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :P.

I just don’t have the heart to change the name and throw away what it’s been building up the past decade. I know it’s just a name change, but everything wonderful about FIRST is attached to it already.

If I have any talent or english writing skills at all, I would write a poem or a song about the name FIRST just about… now.

The name is, was, and always will be FIRST. Actually at Disney a few years ago on the info sign it said it was FIRST–Foundation for the Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology.

*Originally posted by D.J. Fluck *
**My theory:

If it isn’t broken, do not fix it. FIRST has always been FIRST and it should always remain FIRST **

agreed FIRST should stay as FIRST, great idea and all to change it but FIRST is known for its oustanding outcome of its student robotics team member capabilities in both what they have learned and what they have put together as a team.

edit… so many people with the right idea not to change the name of FIRST so lil space to quote them all.

The T-shirts would not look right with a long sentence stating both the organization and what its intents are to the HS students.

FIRST is simple both in describing the organization and its intentions the main one to “Inspire”. and it looks a whole lot better on the T-shirts

you have to leave it you dont change something that everyone knows like if you changed FIRST name it would kinda be wierd cause no one knows the new name i mean FIRST has a repitation to stay with and if you change the name you lose that