Rev Through Bore Encoder

Just noticed this product at Rev’s website…

6 Likes

Out of stock. Hoping the re-stock soon, on the list.

I’m pretty stoked for this. This is a big hole in the FRC COTS sensor market and should enable a lot more teams to integrate reliable encoders.

6 Likes

It’s a new product, it’s never been in stock yet :slight_smile: The website says it should be available soon - I saw them a month or so ago and put them on my list to look into later this fall.

Might even just be on a boat–they were showing this off in Houston in their booth, so the product has been pretty ready.

I hope someone will crank out either a Talon SRX-friendly one, or an adapter board/cable for this one. Which is no statement about REV’s choices, and completely a statement about the inertia of wiring sensors on my team.

I’ll be interested to see how/if this works with a Spark Max in brushless mode as it appears to use the same connector as the built in NEO motor encoder. We’d really like to combine the power of a NEO with the precision this encoder should offer. Hopefully this will be able to be plugged into the port currently allocated for limit switches (the one with the same connector as the SRX).

1 Like

I agree. With the tens of thousands of Talon SRX’s and other products utilizing the gadgeteer port / plug in, a cheap converter would be fantastic. You could always cut off one end of the JST and wire it to CTRE quad encoder breakout. But I’d prefer not to. This product does meet a need.

Will the mounting holes match up to a vex bearing block?

The one I observed in Houston had a 2" bolt circle. We’re not as steeped in the VEXpro universe (yeah, still biased), but I know that bolt circle is used by:

• CIM-class motors
  • VEXpro VersaPlanetary
  • AndyMark 57/Two-Motor Sport (which is what really has me geeked about them).

Eh, from the step file it looks like the distance between the centers of the mounting slots is 50.8 - 45.79mm. This will mate with the 47.63 bolt circle on the versa block V2 (I didn’t check the other versa blocks).

That means this is an easy-add to any drivetrain using those blocks. Nice. No more worrying about encoder inclusion on transmissions.

Supporting external encoders is at the top of the software backlog.

2 Likes

This will make integrating encoders so much easier, and I think we will start to see teams implement encoders into more of their designs due to this.