Ri3D 'Snow Problem 2020

How did you guys make the climber exactly? What did you use to make the pvc go up and down?

The telescoping PVC is a cascade lift powered by a Redline on a 16:1 Sport gearbox. You can see the rigging here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/4Y7hnwdrXVrnv7xLA

Here are two more videos showing the intake working. The centering was effective enough for us to be happy with, but could certainly be improved

I liked pretty much your robot, very intelligent the roulette mechanism, also the hanging thing was pretty good.

1 Like

Another great robot!

1 Like

Great Ri3D robot again and I love the climb mechanism! It’s a good low cost option teams could replicate easily with parts they can run down and buy at a hardware store. Without a 3D printer teams could use a shoulder screw or a homemade bushing setup with a bolt and a small pipe in place of the pulleys.

Think we might see a lot of these this year.

I like the seeming simplicity of the tubing Cascade lift, but the video doesn’t reveal how it’s actually completed or how to attach the ropes. How many ropes are there and where are they tied?

I shared an image a bit higher up in the thread with an up close look at the mechanism. The first is wound by the winch, pulling the lowest tube up. Then for each of the moving stages, the rope traveling over the pulley on stage N is hard-connected to stages N-1 and N+1. Hopefully this rough diagram of our rigging (each pulley being in the elbow):

as well as this picture of the general cascade layout:

explains it more adequately than I can do in text.

You guys and gals built an awesome robot! Thanks for the inspiration!

2 Likes

Great robot that inspired us a lot. Thx for doing this. I just have two small questions. What kind of winch gear ratio you guys are using? Also, where do you put your winch as it is not shown on the CAD?

do you happen to have the cad file for the climbing mechanism?

Could you share some more details on the grip tape and materials used for the intake? Are there any issues with the design or manufacturing that you might fix given more time?

The climber can be seen on our GrabCAD.

The climbing winch is placed directly between the drive gearboxes. I believe it was the highest reduction of the Sonic Shifter, roughly 20:1 for CIM motors.

1 Like

The cad is a bit incomplete. Later this evening I’ll update that to be more accurate to the robot

Out of curiosity, did you have winch with a locking mechanism or was the torque enough to keep the bot from falling? Also what was your weight for reference.

Thanks for all the information you are giving. It is incredibly helpful to small, new teams like mine.

1 Like

The grip tape is thin foam tape I found in our toolbox. It’s wrapped around PVC pipe.

I would move the mecanum rollers back and slightly up to actually roll the ball against the bumper. One or two more prototype revisions would have improved it a lot as far as compression and grip.

In the CAD, the bar right behind the mecanum rollers is an inch too low. This was fixed on the actual robot, which caused a dead spot over the bumper. Minor geometry changes would have fixed this.

1 Like

We did not, but it would not be difficult to add a ratcheting wrench. We never weighed the robot but I would estimate it at about 100 lbs before battery and bumpers. If you’re working on a climber, I highly recommend you do the math yourself for your robot for what gear reduction is required.

Thank you very much.

1 Like

What gear box and the ratio did you guys use on the climb on the generator switch?