Roborio to relay

We have a linear actuator to control. This takes 12V, 2A to operate. The plan is to have the Roborio actuate a relay that controls 12V to the actuator. The Roborio relay output specs are 5V and 7.5mA. Digikey offers a million relays with a 5V control signal to the coil but have only a single relay with <7.5mA. It seems like the Roborio relay output is virtually unusable. Am I missing something?

I’m getting two of the TE (Axicom) PB1619-ND which has a 5V, 6.8mA coil that the Roborio can control. It can switch a 12V 1A load. I’ll wire up two in parallel to deliver 2A to the actuator. Its only going to actuate once as a release mechanism for a second so I’m not too afraid of anything overheating.

R29: With the exception of servos, fans, or motors integral to sensors of COTS computing devices permitted in R27, each actuator must be controlled by a power regulating device. The only power regulating devices for actuators permitted on the ROBOT include:

R29, B: Relay Modules
i. Spike H-Bridge Relay (P/N: 217-0220 and SPIKE-RELAY-H)
ii. Automation Direct Relay (P/N: AD-SSR6M12-DC-200D, AD-SSRM6M25-DC-200D, AD-SSR6M45-DC-200D)

What motor is in the linear actuator? Is it on the allowed list on R27?

2 Likes

Oh! good to know. The Automation Direct should work.

Also check that the motor on your actuator is legal as @Peter_Johnson stated!

+1 for checking the motor. The team I am mentoring this year could not pass inspection last year because the linear actuator they used had a non-legal motor. Unfortunately, the design was such that they could not modify it to accept a legal motor and had to scrap their main scoring mechanism.