robot 1599 youtube videos

check out our videos of atlee 1599. i will be posting up some more! this might also help some teams as well.

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=ir5h0rty&view=videos

Very nice video!
Thank you for sharing this.

I see many of the challenges caused by this year’s new floor.
:yikes:

I like the drive train setup! How many wheels are on that bot?

Hopefully HHS and Atlee can meet on a Saturday to test out some bot v. bot action pretty soon, It will be interesting to see.

Looks like 10 wheels.

Do the double wheels actually help at all with traction, or are they just for stability? Because friction force is dependent on an inverse relationship between coefficient of friction and normal force, if you add more wheels, adding to the over all friction coefficient, you’re decreasing the normal force on each wheel by the same amount, so the effects cancel and you end up with the same amount of friction force. The reason more wheels are used for more traction is mainly an issue of distributing the force evenly to reduce the event of too much load on one particular part of the robot, which CAN result in slipping. Not too much problem with distribution this year because there’s very little back-force on the wheels. Might as well use fewer wheels and use that spare weight to put some small steel bars a little closer to the floor.

By the way, if I’m wrong, please do correct me.

Daltore, I believe your theory is correct, however the design team wanted to test this configuration (2 motors, 8 drive wheels and 2 passive front wheels) with that in mind. The results were surprisingly good. Our first try the week before was using 4 wheels in 4WD configuration and it didn’t seem to have nearly the grip, speed or maneuverability that this prototype has.
In the three years that I have been a parent/mentor with the team, this is the first time we have been able to run prototypes this early in the build and it seems to be paying off well!

As a side note, Scott who owns Sonic Tools has been gracious enough to convince his landlord to donate unrented space in this warehouse for the teams to have a practice field, as well as funding the materials for construction himself. This field is open to any teams that can make it to the site just outside of Richmond, VA. Saturdays usually have a couple of teams, but you can contact Scott for other possible times. His website is http://www.soniclp.com/home.html Thanks Scott!! :slight_smile:

It looks like you guys have a nice drive train, our team has a similiar base design with an almost U shape, so I’m guessing there’s going to be a conveyer belt or other pick-up mechanism there. The only big difference is we settled with just a traditional 4-inline wheels, inorder to have more weight resting on each individual wheel.

10 wheels im pretty sure, we were origionally going to use 12 wheels
it would be great to work with hanovers team. i think we need to help each other more in the long run than be rival schools. i actually go to atlee but have classes for 4 years at hanover for electronics.

well your argument is plausable and we thought the same thing at first but we tested it out and it does help with traction

The robot looks good. It looked like you have more traction than I would have expected.

I’m a bit curious about the tests you performed that led to this conclusion. Were the weights of the “single wheel” and “dual wheel” robots the same (ie did you account for the weight of the extra wheels?). Were all wheels powered in both configurations? Was the arrangement of wheels the same? Were the wheels checked for any surface changes in between the two configurations?

I think this should be in robot showcase. I don’t beleive extra wheels give more traction if that’s your intention, because traction is affected by mass and coefficient of friction. The friction is fixed at .05 however, you could change the mass. In the end surface area is pointless.

yes to all we were very specific when doing the tests