Robot Carts

Hello once again Chief Delphi. Me and a friend are starting a project to build a new robot cart for our team team who right now has a very old beaten up robot cart so if you could post pictures of your robot carts that would be great so that we can get some ideas for what we want to do. Some ideas would be super nice as well!
Thanks, Quack

3 Likes

this is some pictures of our robot cart with our 2018 bot on it. we decided as we were going to the Festival de robotique de québec that some led on it would look awesome. It is made so any of our bot would fit on it.

It is all made by one of our sponsor (MĂ©tal bernard)
Sorry for my english, it isn’t my first language

5 Likes
2 Likes

Main idea behind our cart was easy of manufacturing and adaptability. There are battery holders and a lot of under robot storage space. Holds the driver station too. Was slapped together with gussets and 1x1. The handle comes off too so we can reach around the robot in the pits.

IMG_0778.HEIC (1.6 MB)

12 Likes

Does the lift stay flat when you lift it with the robot on it?

What do you mean by lie flat

Does it remain parallel to the ground when the weight of the robot is on it? Sorry for not being more clear.

This is our robot cart, we like it because it is very light weight and portable:

4 Likes

It does remain parallel to the ground

hey quack just curios who are you doing this with @Thequackmaster

Ours is just a normal cart, but we put LED’s on it to look cool.

Blue LEDs will make it run cooler and green will give your cart higher FPS and that’s a fact

15 Likes

Unless you have a trailer, I agree that keeping the cart portable should be a big consideration. For instance, those hydraulic scissor lift carts are nice for sure, but they often weigh over 100 lb: https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/500-lb-hydraulic-lift-cart/A-p8662223e. Something like this that folds down flat is much nicer for transport: https://www.uline.ca/BL_1828/Plastic-Platform-Trucks

We’ve used two piece carts since 2016. The base is a commercial dolly with a removable handle. The top is a storage box which supports the robot on 2x4 blocks at a good working height and provides some storage for bumpers and the driver station.

This year we upgraded the cart for a center-pivot model. Also, since this year’s robot was pretty tall already, we left the box at home most events and mounted the blocks right on top of the cart .

1 Like

For those who want a light and portable cart that holds the robot higher above the floor, you can use a folding stand for a table saw(?).

2 Likes

118 uses a cart like the ULine that @nuclearnerd linked. The top surface is mostly covered with wide strips of Velcro. Every year, they make a structure out of a few pieces of 2x4 to support that year’s robot and attach it with Velcro.

Now that more FRC events are being held in high school gyms and like venues it is VERY important to incorporate good-sized pneumatic tires in your cart. As a community we need to pay more attention to limiting the damage our cart wheels can do to a wooden floor.

3 Likes

You folks in other parts of FRC just don’t know what you’re missing out on with foam tiles. It’s like pulling or pushing a cart through a magical cloud of pillowy fluffy foamy goodness. /s

On a more serious note, for my friends in N.C. - you have to deal with the notorious things so the best thing you can do is build light and add more wheels to distribute the weight better. That’s the only real method to it. Large tires, small tires, casters, pneumatic tires, none of it matters because wheels aren’t meant to roll on the things.

6 Likes

Not the best picture but due to having a tall robot last year, we designed a new cart. We decided to make a lift cart since we didnt want to crawl on the floor to work on the lower parts. We made a cart using 1.5 x 1.5 steel tube, lift is a harbor freight lift cart we chopped up and mounted a Gladiator tool cart on the back. The cart has an electrical system that we can monitor with a display mounted up top, but contains an inverter for laptop charging, along with two car radiator fans we use for cooling the drivetrain. We’ve been running 775 drivetrains, and getting greedy with speed, we tend to get them pretty warm. We typically keep a can of compressed air in the cart for emergencies too, but havent used it since the CIM days. We designed the rails the robot sits on to be removable, allowing us to shift the height and spacing based off robot requirements. We use 4 casters which can be a pain with this big of a cart, but we added a pole to the front to allow for somebody to steer the front, and then the pole can store underneath. Going along with this, we have sponsors mounted on the side, encased in polycarbonate. It’s a pretty sweet cart, typically has a little bit of everything in it, so we dont really need our toolbox during playoffs, but its heavy… huge tradeoff. This cart sucks at MSC, we added a grounding strap to help with static but it’s just so heavy on the plastic tiles, shakes the thing to death. We actually broke both radiator fanes during state I believe.

I’ll see if I can find a better picture, we have modified this a little. Changed wheels, cleaned it up a bit.

3 Likes

We have a couple students talk about making neat stuff for our cart, but doesn’t seem to get past the talking stage. The past few years, we’ve used a garden cart with good size pneumatic wheels, and a pull handle. We made a very simple wood structure to set the robot on, so the robot is resting on it’s frame, and keeps the robot from sliding around on the cart. It works…and it’s mostly portable, although sometimes we have to take off the front (steering) wheel assembly to fit the cart into the back of my Tahoe, with all the other robot stuff, for trips.

Let’s see if I can find a picture…hmmm…

here we go. And our battery cart in the background. The best battery cart ever (from the perspective of the poor fool who gets to haul it around all over the country)

Also, notice the handles on the robot…same fool gets to where he demands handles on the robot

2 Likes

That’s just what 3946 has used since 2013. The first one lasted from fall of 2012 to fall of 2018. When the wheels started deteriorating, we found that it was less expensive to replace the cart than the wheels, especially when one of the sudent’s mother works at Home Depot and had the inside scoop on a partial donation.