Robot Color Rules

We were interested in wrapping our robot chrome this year, is that illegal in anyway??

This is the only thing I’d watch out for.

R203 *General safety. ROBOT parts shall not be made from hazardous materials, be unsafe, cause an unsafe condition, or interfere with the operation of other ROBOTS.

example c. any devices or decorations specifically intended to jam or interfere with the remote sensing capabilities of another ROBOT, including vision systems, acoustic range finders, sonars, infrared proximity detectors, etc. (e.g. including imagery on your ROBOT that, to a reasonably astute observer, mimics the retro-reflective features of vision targets described in Vision Targets),

3 Likes

That should be legal as long as it’s safe and doesn’t mimic a vision target or otherwise violate R203.

3 Likes

I hope this isn’t hijacking the thread too much (I think this question is applicable to OP’s question on the legality of chrome).

Would a mirror, or mirror like surface (such as chrome) be in violation of R203, subsection C (jamming or interfering with a vision system)?

1 Like

From what the other people have told me it seems like a risky play since it could interfere with other people’s limelight

@CMarx

In addition to posting R203 above, I’ll give you an example of something that happened to my team last year during the at home challenges.

The only area in our school we could do the challenges was behind the stands for the basketball court. There were also a lot of old chairs and desks stacked up there. They had the mirror-like/fake chrome look on the legs. We had trouble using the limelight because it was locking onto these desks from as far away as 30 feet.

2 Likes

Absolutely agree that there is a greater than zero chance that a reflective surface like chrome or a mirror could interfere with an opponents (or partners) vision tracking. That being said, the wording of that rule makes me think there’s an opportunity for these materials/surfaces to be legal.

Any devices or decorations specifically intended to jam or interfere with the
remote sensing capabilities of another ROBOT, including vision systems…)

Emphasis mine above.

So lets say your team installs a highly reflective material on your robot for purely aesthetic reasons, I would think this is legal. Your intensions aren’t to interfere with a vision system, your intensions are to look cool on the field :sunglasses:. Now, trying to convince an inspector, head ref or opposing alliance member that your intensions are genuine… I guess that’s a whole other ball game.

I guess this is kinda going to back to the arguments from 2020 (or was it 2021) where teams thought having a tall robot sit in front a short robot (and by extension, blocking their tracking camera) was violating this rule (something I firmly believe doesn’t come even close to violating said rule).

EDIT: I will add onto this post that I myself would choose to avoid such shiny materials on a robot so as to avoid the hassle of convincing others that your intensions are pure/genuine, and not malicious. But I do feel there is room for these materials/finishes to be legal.

3 Likes

Our friends at 4499 firmly agreed with you :slight_smile:
Check them out at Chezy Champs: F1 Chezy Champs 2021 - YouTube

Chrome parts on a robot? Probably fine. Most are aluminum colored anyway.

While the inspectors and refs have the final say, they know you’re there to be inspired and have a good time, and won’t purposefully make your life hard if you’re making a good faith effort to comply. Compare whatever you’re doing to the reflection of the polycarb and metal around the field, and the stadium lights, and the bright green vision LED’s on other robots… If you’re not appreciably making it harder than it already is, probably shouldn’t be a concern.

Rebranding your team colors to be “black” and “retroreflective”, changing your logo to a horizontal dashed line, making tshirts with the new branding, then spreading your students around the field in the first row? Probably not ok.

8 Likes

Hahaha, yes, I would agree with everything you just said.

1 Like

I should also point out: FLAT reflective surfaces are much less of a problem for the vision systems. ROUND ones will always return a reflection; that’s what caused the issue with the chrome chair legs. With flat surfaces you only have one bad direction.
Now, stadium displays with -green- LEDs in them, those make me grumpy :frowning: Our Limelight was doing that “Squirrel!” thing and launching balls outside the field repeatedly till we re-tuned it at the Texas Cup.

4 Likes

Did you name it Dug?

2 Likes