robot combat league - syfy tv show

looks like real steel just got real…

it kinda shocks me that syfy picked this up and not something like discovery or spike.

Not enough moonshining or gold digging in this for Discovery to be interested.

Wait, why would you even want technology on the discovery channel?:rolleyes:

Because science? :stuck_out_tongue:

Don’t worry guys, more quality programming is coming to Discovery soon! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6tizOZ7cis

seriously? that’s a show?

You must not have read the second page:

The project might eventually have some competition. Discovery Channel earlier this year announced it’s developing a next-generation robot combat show called Robogeddon, produced by heavy hitters James Cameron and Mark Burnett. Robot Combat League is ready to go, however, having just wrapped production on its first season last week.

That said, there is a first-mover advantage at times, the concept is probably combat robotics’ best shot in a decade to become relevant again in the minds of most. Chris Jericho is a good pick as host, considering his experience in sports entertainment (or professional wrestling, take your pick). The limiting factor beyond the quality of the show (which none of us have seen) may be Syfy itself, since it doesn’t draw the attention of some of the bigger networks in NBCUniversal’s family.

We shall see.

Robots that dig for gold, or distill liquor, would probably make for more interested TV. Especially in some extremely harsh environment.

Perhaps the moon? :smiley:

1st episode is out…

only worth watching the last 10 minutes.

damage looks real and not staged but too much “reality show crap” not enough robot or technical info makes it a disappointment.

I’m looking at it through the lens of another made-for-TV form of combat, professional wrestling. Part of making compelling television is getting the viewer invested in those on the screen, so that they keep watching. If it wasn’t a necessary part, WWE would’ve long ago dropped interviews and in-ring promos from their shows.

I’ll agree that it’s fairly light on technical details, but perhaps that’s okay for the format. Add in some opening exposition, and I think there’s a chance it’ll work. It’s going on my DVR, at least.

Do the sparks look fake to anyone else?

It starts tonight!

I saw the preview on Dan Lebotard is Highly Questionable and lost interest when I saw the robots exploding with sparks. It looked way too staged for my tastes. All this really does is give people another robot competition to mistake what we do with.

One “expert” builds all the robots for this show. Or at least he is the only one credited.

Not inspiring. I really don’t care which drive team is better.

Inspiration was never the point. Entertainment was the only goal.
I’m hoping one day they learn from this and make a better, more interesting show in the future.

Yes they Do

Battlebots?

Because we never have enough people asking if we build those “robots with saws and flames”. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I thought that that part was kinda off-putting to me. That’s why I liked Battlebots, every robot was unique, and had their own ingenious way of solving the problem of how to destroy the other robots

I’ve turned this around in my head, and I think it’s a case where the alternatives are limited, especially for an upstart series on what is admittedly Not The Biggest Network Around.

If you’re going to have the robots box, they have to be in the ballpark on height, weight, and reach. Going one-maker simplifies that.

If you’re going to open up the field, you have to find 12 teams willing to build these things (and put up Cadillac money to do it–consider that AndyMark’s full drive system packages start around $2,000). One maker working for the producers ensures that there will be 12 robots.

If you’re going to open up the field, you then have to ensure compatibility with the control systems on the field, you have to create an inspection process, you have to hope they can make the next round even if they win. Going one-maker eliminates a lot of that.

I’m not saying it won’t happen eventually here or elsewhere, but to re-float the fighting-robot trial balloon I find little fault with their approach.

I think as a community, we are too eager to shun this type of television. Yes, it’s meant for entertainment, but if there is any desire for kids to WANT to learn how to build robots/be in engineering/etc., this is going to be the way to do it. Dean Kamen says he’d like robotics to be on the level of other sports. However, when you watch other sports on TV, you only very rarely hear about the technical aspects of what it took to get the athlete to that level. They don’t highlight the methods of training. This is very similar. The first step in getting people interested is to first entertain them, and a lot of people don’t see that. You can’t rush right in with the technical details. It’s extremely off-putting. You’ve got to ease people in and let them make the realization that “hey, this [robotics stuff] is cool. How do I get to do this?” Don’t be too quick to dismiss entertainment value.