Robot disconnecting and reconnecting

Hello. We have been experiencing an issue where our robot has been disconnecting then reconnecting constantly. We aren’t sure what the issue could be. We have replaced the RIO, Radio, ethernet cable, and our POE cable, still having the same issue. I have been paying attention to the radio’s less, it’s having constant power, but just losing connection. I think it could be software but I’m not sure where in our code could be the issue. Here is our code: GitHub - frc5431/RobotCode2021 at path_weaver. Are there another ideas on what the issue could be?

Please post some plots showing times when this has happened using the log viewer: Driver Station Log File Viewer — FIRST Robotics Competition documentation.

1 Like

Here are plots, its a long one so I thought taking a screenshot would not be beneficial, so I sent the files instead
eventsandplots.zip (38.0 KB)

I had a look at the logs you uploaded – thanks! It was from March 2nd (the filename encodes date and time), so I didn’t spend a whole lot of time looking at it. If this is the most current info you have, I can dig into it some more.

If you are seeing a lot of activity in the logs, just pick a match length section of time and screenshot that (there’s a button to scale the display to about two and a half minutes and you can then scroll to a section where there seems to be something going on). May as well get something current, either way. Also, be sure to check the driver station “View Console” (see here) for messages – you can paste a section of that also (you already included this in your upload).

For now, let’s try a different approach…

Does this happen when the robot is just sitting there? If so, does it still happen tethered (using an Ethernet or USB cable to connect the driver station laptop and the robot directly? Based on your initial post, a software problem seems likely – but this is only a guess with very limited information.

Between the log viewer and console output, it should help to narrow things down quite a bit.

That is the latest log we have. We haven’t been able to work on our robot since March 2nd. I have the laptop because I was working on a side project at home.

This happens whenever. Sometimes while just sitting, sometimes while driving around. It a real annoyance when we are trying to run the Robot Characterization cause it seems up our data.

When we are ethernet, it is fine.

OK, sorry for not spending more time looking at what you sent – I didn’t realize you didn’t have access to newer data.

The messages look OK (at some point, you should look at the CAN messages – there’s something going on there that’s at least cluttering the logs and your CAN% utilization is on the high side of where I like to see it, but these are not critical).

The thing that does stand out is you have a high “Packet Loss %” (and also a high “Latency ms”, which is often correlated with the former). Was your robot running a long way from the driver station laptop? Is your radio surrounded by a lot of metal? Have you tried using a different laptop? In the logs you sent, I don’t see anything rebooting, no obvious signs of any kind of software problem, and no brownouts.

What I do see is several occasions where there is no data coming in for intervals of around 250ms or so, followed by a disconnect event. Several of these events directly correlate with really high “Packet Loss %” (and “Latency ms”) spikes, and for the one that happens when these numbers are just high, missing data could easily be hiding a bad spike. But even in cases where you are not seeing an explicit “Disconnect” event, these two metrics are really bad.

So, my theory is that the main issue that is causing you trouble is poor over-the-air WiFi connectivity. Things I’d try to improve the situation:

1. Make sure there isn’t a huge distance between driver station and robot;
  2. Make sure the robot radio is not surrounded by metal (if so, relocate it);
  3. Try a different laptop (to rule out some WiFi problem on one laptop);
  4. Be sure your radio is operating as an access point (WiFi LED on radio is yellow/orange);
  5. You can find a utility for Android Phones or a PC to check the WiFi environment (signal strength, possible interference from other WiFi users, etc.).

I haven’t used any of these, but here’s an article on some Windows WiFi “scanners”. You should see a strong signal from the WiFi on the robot, and you want to see the channel it is on (and those nearby) are not super busy.

No worries, you didn’t know, it’s cool lol.

We will definitely look into the CAN messages the next time we have access to the Robot (hopefully, the coming Monday).

The Packet Loss is something that also caught my eyes. The Robot barely changed between Plano 2020 to when we were able to have access to our bot (our bot was basically inactive for almost a year).

The distance was completely fine, we have been able to run our robots, (and sometimes many robots when other teams come over) for many years. We have a makeshift field (it’s not even a full field).

The radio is in fact around metal but this is the same placement we had for Plano 2020 and during practice before Plano 2020.

We have tried a different laptop. We used a different laptop when we were trying to get data from the Robot Characterization tool but this issue kept giving us bad data.

I wouldn’t say our robot was rebooting I would say, our robot would stay on, it’s just when we are connected to the driver station, it would disconnect, then reconnect, and when it reconnects, it enables itself, acting as nothing happened.

We will definitely do the WiFi “scanners” when we are back at practice. It should be busy at all. We have has busier moments before, these times should be much cleaner but we will definitely look more into it.

1 Like

When you get access to the robot, check to be sure the data is telling you the same thing. If nothing has changed, it should be doing so. On the robot, you can check the Ethernet between the radio and the roboRIO – but from your first post, the cable, radio, and roboRIO have all been swapped already. Sometimes, the jack at one end or the other can be the problem.

You can use “ping” to try to see if the problem is packets being lost getting to the radio, or getting lost going from the radio to the roboRIO. On Windows, open a text shell (“cmd”) and type “ping /4 /f /l 1000 /n 1000 10.54.31.1” or “ping /4 /f /l 1000 /n 1000 10.54.31.2” – you can even open two shells and run these in two windows at the same time. Note that I got “54” and “31” from your team number, so be sure that is right (5431).

The “.1” IP address should be the radio, and the “.2” IP address, the roboRIO. In your case, the times when you are losing connectivity are short and somewhat infrequent, so leave these running for a while. The “/n 1000” part causes the actual ping to be done 1000 times, so it will take a while.

When it finishes, you should see something similar to this:

Ping statistics for 10.54.31.1:
Packets: Sent = 1000, Received = 1000, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 2ms, Maximum = 109ms, Average = 4ms

If you see 0% loss to the radio, but something higher for the roboRIO, you can focus on the Ethernet connection between the two. If the loss percentage is similar, the issue is very likely something with the WiFi part of the path. In this case, I’d try moving the radio so there is less metal around it, since you’ve ruled out most other causes.

1 Like