Robot Game!!

A couple days ago when i was talking to my friend he told me about this new computer game called “Robot Arena”… This game is a must for all you out there that want to build robots and then destroy them…

here are some links…

http://perso.libertysurf.fr/ndonesia8399k/

http://www.aceuplink.com/ra/

the first site will let u download a demo version of the game which isnt that great…if u want the game i found it at Wal-Mart (do u guys have those?) for $20.00…and i thought it was pretty cheap…

any questions…just ask!

:cool:

Me and my co-captain were shopping at Staples the other day for paper and stuff for sponsorship packets and we saw that game on sale for $10! WE wanted to buy it so bad, it looked like fun :slight_smile: We only had enough for our stuff though :(, oh well…

I’ve also seen (and I think my brother owns) some video game where you pretty much do the same thing…create and destroy rogots. I think it’s by Lego…if only I could remember the name. RoboWorks, possibly? I’ll have to see…

~Angela who suddenly doesn’t feel very helpful

are u sure it was the same game…i could of looked at staples but normally their “stuff” is more expensive…oh well…i think it was a good $20.00 spent although $10.00 would have been better…

:frowning:

Clark- who should now look at more than 2 places for 1 game!

Hello All,

I downloaded the demo of the game last nite and will likely go and buy it for $20/10 either way tonight. I have been talking Andy Grady and we were discussing the possability of running a server for the game and actually setting up a regular leauge/tournment of FIRST people who have/want to play this game. Possibly setup a weekly time where whose ever around can join in and do battle. Post here or e-mail me w/your thoughts/desire to partcipate…and we’ll see what comes of it.

-Justin

P.s. I was reading and unfortunately they didn’t have enough budget on the project to do advanced physics like robots flipping and such…maybe if enough FIRSTers buy the game they cand do this development in the future. Still pretty fun in teh mean time tho :wink:

The only problem i have is that when ever i try to join a game online it says it cant find an internet connection (or something close to that) then it closes the game…I am also running on just your average 56k modem with Internet Explorer so it should work…The only thing i can think of is that this is just a simple error that the new game has and it will be fixed in the future with the supposidly upcoming update patch…

Just thought I would let u know if anyone was going to buy the game…

P.S.-- I can host a game though

About a few of my ideas for FIRST, one of them was something very similar to this. The only difference is that instead of destroying other robots, you would actually build robots to play the FIRST games of the current and previous years. Figures that that would get out there first.

But ideas and projects rarely hold me for more than a short while, unfortunately. Maybe I’ll revive it one day or someone will take it on. The idea was to use the Quake 2 engine due to price and the kinds of systems it is able to be run on. It is possible to program your own DLL to completely modify the game.

Ah well… perhaps if this were the perfect planet scientist would be superheroes and sports stars would be getting paid far less and playing for the fun of it. Hmmm… maybe Dean’s IT is really a sliding device to allow us to travel across paralell universes, in search of one where this lifestyle and common belief holds true.

5 bucks says that alternate earth has 3 continents - each in the shape of on part of the FIRST logo… :smiley:

*Originally posted by Robby O *

5 bucks says that alternate earth has 3 continents - each in the shape of on part of the FIRST logo… :smiley: **

Is that what they call Heaven?:confused: ?

I’m still waiting for FIRST action figures… Those would make great Happy Meal toys, don’t you think?

Do any toy manufactures sponsor a team? Perhaps they could be convinced to make a limited edition Dean Kamen action figure for all of us. Hey… it could happen, right?

The Dean Kamen action figure complete with workable I-Bot. And coming soon to a store near you: The Woodie Flowers action figure complete with detailed and removable vest of pins.

This is the review of Robot Arena from PC Gamer:

“If you’re expecting a groovy new Quake III expansion pack, you’ve entered the wrong arena.”

A few qoutes from the article:

“Weapon selections are sparse.”

“Arena combat is so simple, it should be marketed to kids as Tonka Robot Arena.”

“The enemy AI is so lame.”

“When you play via TCP/IP or LAN, 'bots freeze or warp back & forth around the arena.”

“None of the mechanical mayhem or pseudo-strategy from the TV shows survived the adapaptation to the PC.”

**Final Verdict

Highs:** Nice damage modeling and sound effects; decent weapon special effects.

Lows: Way to easy; boring combat; terrible enemy AI; buggy multiplayer mode.

Bottom Line: If you can read this review, you’re too old for Robot Arena.

Rating: 32% - Don’t Bother.

Keep in mind this is what PC Gamer said.

You have to keep in mind that that is only an opinion too… Yes, the game is not the best ever made, and yes it has some flaws…but overall its a great game for the $10 it sells for…plus anyone that has anything to do with robots would have a different opinion…

Since its not a $30-60 dollar computer game u cant really expect that much…and once the new patch comes out for Robot Arena, it will make things alot better…

:smiley:

new robot arena website: [http://www.robotarena.com](Robot Arena)

*Originally posted by Clark Gilbert *
**You have to keep in mind that that is only an opinion too… Yes, the game is not the best ever made, and yes it has some flaws…but overall its a great game for the $10 it sells for…plus anyone that has anything to do with robots would have a different opinion…

Since its not a $30-60 dollar computer game u cant really expect that much…and once the new patch comes out for Robot Arena, it will make things alot better…

:smiley:

new robot arena website: [http://www.robotarena.com](Robot Arena) **

Kinda like some of the reviews that Pearl Harbor got. I saw some pretty low ratings, but i thought it was one of the best movie’s that i have ever seen.

That’s IF a patch comes out. Robot arena is a type of game called a “budget game”, where the developer is on a tight budget. So chances are, there won’t be a patch.

Actually, if you visit www.robotarena.com, there’s already been a patch released.

Now, I don’t know if this is the patch you’re all looking for, since I haven’t even taken the time to sit and try to figure out how to install the demo, but there’s a least something there.

Me. . .well, I’ll be playing Twisted Metal: Black and enjoying my own style of vehicular carnage.

Yes, that is the patch for Robot Arena…it’s very good too (adds/changes a lot of things)

Plus i think i have my multiplayer working…

A hint to installing the demo is to use WinACE and for official instructions IM me at twinattack and maybe you’ll get lucky and one of my other friends will be online who remembers how to install the demo…