Robot names

Have any other teams named their robot? If it does, is there a reason behind the name?

Our 2018 robot was named Mr.Glass because it kept breaking.

5 Likes

We named our 2018 robot “Optimus Climb”. A pun on “Optimus Prime” and the fact that our robot design had a large focus around climbing.

3 Likes

We used to have a captain that insisted that the Robot be named Fritz, so we had like 3 years where the robot was Fritz, Fritz II, and Fritz III. Just Terrible. My favorite name was our 2017 robot which we call Auggie because it was learning how to fly.

2 Likes

Most of our names are jokes.

2015: (Rookie Year) : Chassidy (The chassis worked)
2016: Turnip (We made jokes about bolting vegetables to the robot
2017: Phantom (We used mecanum wheels it moved like a ghost)
2018: Gilly (almost took someones hand off)
2019: TBD

4 Likes

Our 2018 robot was named “the Nicholas Cage” because our ramps looked like cages, and we finished building it at like 2 am. We even made it to Ontario FRC Memes page here

3 Likes

we usually name are robots flo because of our founding sponsor metal flow

1 Like

We have named ours “Marvin”. The student who suggested that was thinking of “Marvin the Martian”.

2018 - Monika
2017 - Achilles
2016 - Dante
2015 - Stanley 2.0

3 Likes

What about Chiron

1 Like

2016 - Pippin
2018- General Lee
2019- Big Chungus

3 Likes

2018 robot was named dougosaurus rex

2 Likes

Last year was WALL-E (Westwood Automated Lifting and Lowering Enator). This year is TBD, but everyone seems to be leaning towards either Orion, or Dipper (obviously because of the space theme).

I can’t speak for this year, but is the names for 4272’s robots:

2012 & 2013 - Sir Jankins and Cupcake (I don’t remember which year was which)
2014 - Iron Man Bull (“Half Iron, half man, half bull, half bot, twice the robot you’ll ever be!” Was chanted by our PR subteam every time someone said the name)
2015 - Atlas
2016 - Sir Lance-a-little
2017 - Bonnie
2018 - Jesse

1 Like

We named our 2018 robot “Terry,” because one of our mentor’s names is Terry

2 Likes

All of our names are (or are related to) King Arthur’s Knights of the Round Table and in some-to-most-cases have some lore that can be related to the years game.
2007-11 - Sir Lance-A-Bot
2012 - Sir Galahad
2013 - Sir Kay
2014 - Sir Gawain
2015 - Sir Percival
2016 - Uther Pendragon (Arthur’s Father)
2017 - Sir Bedivere
2018 - Sir Ywian
2019 - [INFORMATION REDACTED]

2 Likes

I personally like naming our practice bot
2017- I think it was Kevin
2018- George
2019- Dwight

3 Likes

Our team is considering for the Competition Bot “Bob the Flying Chicken” & Practice Bot “Billy the Majestic Flap-Flap”. Our robot may have “wings”.

Last year’s rookie bot was “Bubbles”

It was a terrible robot in general, but in 2009 we made Buttercup (after Build Me Up Buttercup song), and between our first regional and second, we’d swapped out half the robot with improved parts (spare part weight budget) and it became Bettercup.

1 Like

Our names are all derived from Iron Man suits.
2019 (this year) - StarBoost
2018 - Igor
2017 - Casanova
etc.

1 Like

2012: SUZY (Super Uber Zesty Yeti)
2013: Ghetto Bhott
2014: Shaft
2015: Dean Caiman
2016: Semi-Amphibious Lobster-Copter
2016 Offseason kiwi chassis: NZ
2017: Chlamydomonas
2017 Offseason robot: Jeffy
2018: Tribal Urges

2012/2013: either Wiki or No Name can’t remember which year was which, don’t know the stories behind these.
2014: Hungarian Horntail, after the Harry Potter dragon.
2015: Buy My Mixtape, it was a meme at the time.
2016: Puff the Magic Dragon, but in French. We just wanted Puff the Magic Dragon but we added the “but in French” to avoid accusations of drug references.
2017: Festus, I was under a lot of pressure to name the robot at load-in at WPI so I named it after the automaton in the Percy Jackson/Heroes of Olympus series because automatons seemed steampunky and he was a dragon.
2018: Jeff.
2019: we are currently taking suggestions

We also tend to name subsystems on our robot. In 2014, our shooter was named Jenny Craig. We named every subsystem in 2017. Intake was Gas Station Fried Chicken (named after something our school’s art teacher said), shooter was Obie in the 4th (a combo of Kobe in the 4th and Mr. Obie, a teacher at our climber was Joel after this really buff guy at our school because the climber lifted and so did he, the drivetrain was named Unlawful Parking Permit as suggested by my brother, an alum, and the hopper was named The Garbiculator.