Robot Self-Inspection Process

FIRST WAshington (www.firstwa.org) is starting to make steps to reduce the amount of time it takes to get through the Robot Inspection Process. By having a Regional with 66 Robot Teams to inspect we needed a process that would help reduce the overall flow for Robot Inspections. So we are kicking-off Teams Robot Self-Inspections.

Here is the basic layout and process we are using, keep in mind this is the first time we have done this so we might have some speed bumps along the way.

Each Team identifies a Team member as the Team Robot Self-Inspector. Their basic job will be to coordinate with the Regional Lead Robot Inspector (or Regional designated Robot Inspector) via Facebook, Regional Website, directly through email or a communications page and conduct the Teams Robot Inspection prior to shipment. They fill out a preliminary Checklist that is currently posted on the communication page to assure their Team has built a Robot that meets the FIRST FRC requiremnents. Prior to shipment the Team Robot Self-Inspector will fill-out the final checklist and put into the shipping container with the Robot or Email it to the desigated Robot Inspector (detail still in work) for the initial Regional they are attending. Once at the Regional the Regional Inspectors will conduct the Formal Inspections with the Teams checklist as a guide; with the Team Robot Self-Inspector as his Contact.

What this new process should do is reduce the number of non-compliant robots found during the Regional inspections and also help Rookie Teams to build a compliant Robot; with help from their Veteran Teams.

See attached Job Description.
Team Robot Inspector_JobDesc.doc (41.5 KB)

What is your Opinion on this new Process?

Thanks-
Darin Gee (aka Diana Gee - My Wife)
FIRSTWAshington Lead Robot Inspector
robotinspector@firstwa.org

I like it. I’ve done a number of inspections of teams who don’t seem to have a good idea of what inspection is all about. There are many time consuming things that a single motivated team member could clear up before the competition, and find other, better things to do while at the arena. In fact, this would be a great thing to do before your robot goes into the crate, even without coordinating with a regional inspector.

I like the idea.

I also would like to suggest that if you have any pre-ship events or scrimmages, have an inspection team to catch the obvious issues. Those extra 2 days to fix something can be a lifesaver. While it won’t be official, it can really help the rookies to find stuff to fix.

Eric-

We are expecting to do just that, conduct Pre-Inspections during the Pre-ship event by Regional Inspectors. The Inspectors will then include the Inspection Checklist with the Robot and Team.

This Inspection helps in multiple ways, it helps to get the “rusty” issues wrung out for the Inspectors and also gives the Teams a heads-up on how their Robot meets the Game configuration requirements.

Then at the Regional, if possible, the same Inspector that checked off the Robot at the pre-ship event will conduct the Formal Regional Robot Inspection. That way the Inspector is already somewhat familiar with the Robot.