Robotica

Posted by Ryan Patridge at 04/04/2001 9:46 PM EST

Engineer on team #111, WildStang, from Rolling Meadows / Wheeling HS and Motorola.

So I’m watching “Robotica” on TLC the night before my flight to Florida and after 30 minutes, and I’m thinking this attempt to cross the gladiator combat of Battlebots with intelligent strategy a la FIRST has gone wrong…boringly wrong. The “making of” videos are a sorta neat, but the rest of the show is lacking in excitement, quality engineering, and Donna D’Ericco. What about token scientists? Battlebots has Bill Nye, FIRST has Dean AND Woody, but who does “Robotica” have? An ex-MTV announcer? Not doin’ it… Anyone see anything I missed? TLC should stick with Junkyard Wars.

Posted by JT at 04/05/2001 7:50 PM EST

Student on team #524, Alpha Omega, from South High School and Nasa JPL.

In Reply to: Robotica
Posted by Ryan Patridge on 04/04/2001 9:46 PM EST:

the robots wern’t even that good. A lot of the ones from The First robotics comp. could do a better job at some the the tasks they have to do In Robotica like the maze(except for the water).

Posted by Anthony Xu at 04/05/2001 9:13 PM EST

Student on team #188, Blizzard, from Woburn Collegiate Institute and Ontario Power Generation.

In Reply to: Re: Robotica
Posted by JT on 04/05/2001 7:50 PM EST:

Yes, for the most part, the driving REALLY sucked!.. but maybe it was because of the controls they used. There were a couple good robots though like the black one… (‘Critical Mass’ I believe…)

: the robots wern’t even that good. A lot of the ones from The First robotics comp. could do a better job at some the the tasks they have to do In Robotica like the maze(except for the water).