ROBOTICON 2020 CAD Challenge Question and Answer Forum

Welcome to the Question and Answer Forum for the ROBOTICON 2020 CAD Challenge Depot Dash. Any questions that teams have will be posted in here so that anyone can see them. We will respond to the question as soon as we can here in the forum as well. There won’t be any RTFM responses however we will cite areas of the manual to help answer questions you have. Good luck and I hope you enjoy the game we have created! (but please RTFM)

2 Likes

when is the manual being released? so I can RTFM.

1 Like

Where can I find the game manual? I’ve looked around a little bit and am watching the Roboticon stream on Twitch, but am not sure where to find it.

We are uploading it now. Had some technical difficulties with the doc for some reason. I will link it here in the chat

1 Like

Here is the Manual and Field CAD

we can’t find much info on the end game climb. could you point us in the right direction or tell us more?

My apologies for not including proper endgame documentation in the manual, it will be updated promptly.

The GDC’s intentions for the ENDGAME portion of the game are as follows:
In short, teams are intended to use the walls of the CHARGE STATION to climb. The most direct example of this is American Ninja Warrior’s Spider Climb. PARKED indicates a robot is completely contained within the area of the CHARGE STATION and touching the bottom platform of the CHARGE STATION. ELEVATED indicates a robot “mid-climb,” aka not activating the pressure plate at the top of the station. PLUGGED IN indicates a robot has activated the pressure plate from the end of the match to five seconds following the match.

1 Like

Sir what!!!

1 Like

TL;DR endgame is climb via friction

UPDATE! Both G17 and G18 have been updated!
Screen Shot 2020-11-07 at 1.43.58 PM

is the 48" for starting high and our extension limit?

Yes this is the total height of the robot period. Us in the GDC have seen that elevators are extremely relevant in most games and wanted to see what would happen in a situation with out an elevator but climbing being a somewhat crucial point in the game.

How are we supposed to carry a loaded crate with the rule G7 in place. We would need to carry more than 2 boxes at a time

1 Like

I’m confused on section 10.3, are we only allowed to use pre-released cots parts like a pulley from VexPro if we download it during this cadathon, but not if it’s already in a folder on our computer with other VexPro pullies? Do we then have to re-download it so it’s not considered in a partslibrary, or does 10.3.3 exempt partslibraries for cots parts? How many parts constitutes a partslibrary? Would I be disallowed from getting a freshman to download every cots part they’ve seen us use before and throw them in the robot folder?

Also, are the boxes supposed to be solid aluminum or hollowed out, because it’s 30lbs solid and 6lbs hollowed out to 1/16" walls.

for detail in your rubric what do you mean by “within reason”

2 Likes

When the PALLET becomes a LOADED PALLET it is recognized as a single game piece not multiple.

1 Like

When we define it as “within reason”, when it comes to a perfectly detailed CAD, we mean it as the CAD ultimately has a max ceiling that can be designed and put into what is submitted. There is no true number to “detailed CAD.” We aren’t going to knock off points because you didn’t put staples in the bumpers that is unreasonable. We can say that the CAD is not perfectly detailed because there are screws missing from a drivetrain module and the likes of similar situations, which we see are reasonable when it comes to the maximum amount of detail able to be put into the CAD.

1/8" AL 1x1 Extrusion, 12 pounds
Edit: 1.5x1.5 Extrusion

1 Like

Miscommunication within GDC, Part Libs are allowed fully. Mechanisms and iParts/iAssemblies included.

1 Like