Rookie Pneumatics

Hi everyone, I was just wondering if we could get some advice/insight into how we would go about making a pneumatic telescoping arm. Our team has no experienc in this feild and any help would be much appreciated.

First search, search,

Second, in general, telescoping is much easier in concept than in practice,

Finally, if you are bound and determined, send me an e-mail at [email protected]

Telescoping is a pretty easy concept, but can be tricky to implement.

Last year, we telescoped our arm to gain the height to grab the pull up bar.

This was done by two lengths of square tubing, where one fit inside the other.
Then, a pneumatic piston was attached to the inner tube, and the outer tube, and then extended, pushing the inner tube up out of the larger outside tube, and resulting in a telescoping action.

I don’t have any good pics of the mechanism we used, but can take one at the meeting when I get a chance and send them to you, or put them in our gallery if you would like.

yes some picture would be much appreciated… and yes i will search lol

First, you should print off the 2005 pneumatics manual and look at the examples. Understand the difference between a single and double solenoid before you start proposing ideas. The solenoid should be positioned as close to the cylinder as possible for the most efficient use of your air.

The biggest problem I see with using pneumatics this year is the air. Even if you can afford to have an on board compressor without going over weight, you still will have trouble with air deficiency because the pneumatic cylinders use a lot of air very quickly.

Just some things to consider. :slight_smile:

Umm so can you get back to me with those pics if possible?

– Thanks

Sometimes it is not best to use pneumatics for telescoping arms. A rack and pinion, cable and pulley, and of course pneumatics are all devices you can use to do some sort of system like that. The hard part is figuring out what kind of hook-up you want to use with that device. For any of the above, you could directly hook it to the bottom of the shaft, or top if it suits you, use a wire that acts on a system of pulleys if you’re spanning a large distance, or you can use a slider and gravity. Whichever you think your team will be able to build and handle is up to you.
Pneumatics is a wonderful thing for rookie teams who dont have a lot of experience. Their limited range of motion are offset by the fact that they are simple to assemble, program and are very good at working (and by working I mean not breaking).