Rookie scouting coordinator requesting input

I’m a rookie scouting coordinator for my team this year, and seeking input and/or some constructive criticism on my scouting system ive developed for this year. Attached are the sheets ive made for my team to do their scouting, both match and pit. My system involves randomly pairing up my team members with each other, then randomly assigning them teams that they have to fill out a pit scouting sheet for. Then that same pair of people will randomly be assigned certain matches that they have to scout during and a specific alliance station they have to scout for where they will fill out a match scouting sheet (attached below) based on the directions (match scouting sheet directions) The match assignment sheet i have attached should help to better show what i am trying to explain. any input would be very helpful, thanks

2010 Pit scouting sheet.pdf (101 KB)
2010 match scouting sheet.pdf (107 KB)
2010 Match Scouting Sheet directions.pdf (110 KB)
2010 Scouting assignment sheet.pdf (19.5 KB)

2010 Pit scouting sheet.pdf (101 KB)
2010 Match Scouting Sheet directions.pdf (110 KB)
2010 Scouting assignment sheet.pdf (19.5 KB)

the scout sheets look very nice and professional… one thing that i recommend is that you make the playfield diagram a little bigger… i was a scout for my team last year and i found using a small field diagram can be a little tricky… looks good though…

thats what some of my team members told me as well, but ive stretched the field diagram as far as i can while still keeping it to one page

Also on your match scoring sheet I would add a spot for match number. Looks like a great start so far!

updated version of my match scouting sheet

second one looks much better… good luck this year

It like a great system depending on how many people you have to help you scout. Last year we had papers to fill out with a similar amount of information and we had to have quite a few people helping along with our scouting team to be able to fill it al out, so as long as you have enough people you should be fine. Nice job!

For your Pit scouting I think you captured most of the relevant information except for Autonomous Period. If you added a section asking what Autonomous routines the team had that would round out your sheets.

The other issue I had with your Pit scouting sheet is the part where the team signs off on the sheet. What was your reasoning behind asking for that?

As for your match scouting sheet the information is extremely subjective. I have found in the past that if the scouting sheet is too subjective than you cannot determine a realistic account of what the robot can and cannot do.

What I would suggest is for the match scouting sheet come up with some more questions that ask for objective results (# Balls scored, # balls kicked, etc…)

1. autonomus is not included on the pit scouting sheet because last year when i was working with the scouting team instead of leading it i found that we would get inaccurate descriptions (if any) for autonomus.

2. the signature is there in an attempt to crack down on people that slack off and do not do their pit scouting because last year the scouting team would hand out clip boards with blank forms and get them back with the same blank forms. At the worst, mentors from my team found clip boards with blank forms scattered around the arena.

.pdf version of the scouting presentation i plan on giving to my team, any thoughts?

Pit and Match scouting presentation PDF version.pdf (679 KB)

Pit and Match scouting presentation PDF version.pdf (679 KB)

Autonomous header is spelled wrong. Thought you ought to know.

I agree what was said before with the subjectivity to your match scouting sheet. If you make it easy and just allow the scouters to just circle things like did the robot hang? yes/no. how many balls kicked? ___ how many balls scored? ___ any penalties? yes/no final score blue____ red____, etc… This will give you better data for alliance selection and will make it easier and faster to filter through than, this robot moved forward in autonomous and then they moved around and kicked some balls and then they did this and then they did that then they tried to hang, overall I’d say this was a good robot… numbers are better than peoples opinion and if you give a set place where the numbers will always be it will allow everything to be accumulated faster when you want stats on a team and stuff for matches and alliance selection

thanks for the catch

thats what my original draft of the sheet was like, mentors from my team wanted it more open-ended for strategy purposes

Maybe combine both then? Circles + numbers with room for explanation?

there was something like that on the sheets last year, from my viewpoint working with the scouting team last year it did not work out very good

Wildcat,

There is a way to test-drive both your match scouting process, and your analysis of the data you collect during the matches.

Use the 5th Gear simulator with live humans players and scouts to run a set of qual matches; and use your scouting methods as those matches unfold. Then use your analysis methods and see if you are happy with the result.

If the results look “off” you can review (using the replay feature) the pertinent matches to see if you can figure out why the scouts came up with inaccurate assessments, or to identify how to modify your metrics.

At the end you can decide if the scouting results identify the “best” potential allies for your team?

See this post (5th Gear Scouting-Aid Suggestion).

Also, by searching for the key words “5th Gear Scouting” you will find a couple of recent threads on the subject of scouting. At least one of them has formats and metrics you can compare to the ones you are planning to use.

Blake

thanks for the info, it looks a lot simpler than what i originally had planned for a simulation… definitely gonna have to try this out

Glad to hear it - Let us know what happens - by PM or in the forum

In my 5 years of doing scouting, the two biggest items I have found useful are 1) how many points/game pieces each robot is worth and 2) pictures. An objective measure of driver ability is also useful (last year, how easily you got scored on was a limited measure of this). Last year, summing the average number of game pieces each team could score accurately predicted about 80% of the matches at the regionals we attended. This year, points may be used similarly (we’ll see after week 1).

I have to agree with this. I ran a scouting crew for 5 years (:ahh:, that scares even me!) and every year we got better.

As currently written, there’s no way you’ll be able to concisely summarize the information you have available. IMHO, what you need is numbers, and you don’t need very many of them.

In my experience, the more information you ask for from scouts, the less you can trust it. In 2007 we asked for probably a dozen numbers per robot per match… and we ended up using only 2. The scouts didn’t even report most of the other numbers, there was too much going on in the match. So in 2008 and 2009 we asked for way fewer numbers. In 2008 we asked for: # lines in auton, # of lines crossed in teleop, balls hurdled, balls placed. In 2009 we asked for: balls scored (approx), balls scored on robot (approx), and Empty Cells delivered. Ask for any more and the scouts won’t get good numbers, and they’ll get really mad at you really fast. :yikes:

That said, we also had a pair of experienced kids who kept subjective notes. It’s important that you trust the judgement of the note keepers though, a parent you’ve just pulled in off the street probably won’t be able to give you opinions you trust.

In pit scouting you’ve got a lot more room to play, but whatever you do, it needs to end up in an easy to digest format. And as others have said, pictures are really important. You’ve probably got that one kid who can keep all the robots at your event straight, but not everyone can do that.

PM me if you’re interested, and I can see if I can hook you up with copies of our old stuff to look over. :cool: