RookieSwerve?

Just curious–any other new teams out there who dove right in and have implemented swerve in your rookie season?

We managed to get ours working immediately before quals started week 1, and got field-oriented controls working before playoffs (someone loaned us a gyro–1533 I believe).

It was expensive, and it’s definitely a putzy component for less-experienced teams to deal with. But I think the fact that we are able to pull this off speaks highly of REV’s MAXSwerve (and accompanying libraries) first of all, but also that this tech is thoroughly mainstream and should be fair game as consideration for just about any team out there.

/mike

4 Likes

9128 used the mk4i.

9106 used swerve at Calvin week one I don’t know which version though.

We used the RobotCasserole swerve code base with very few changes and REV 3” Max Swerve modules. Both worked really well for us. See FRC 9106 - Grand Rapids CC Spires - 2023 Build Log

2 Likes

Team 9149 at seven rivers used the andymark swerve

9016 went and tested swerve and a kit it in the fall before I arrived. We wound up using the mk4is this season.

1 Like

8590 made a custom swerve as rookies last year, and we had another custom swerve this year.

Our difficulties last year came from a design choice and code issues. The modules were designed to be very low profile, so they used belts and 3D printed pullies. However, there were no absolute encoders, so belts slipping would cause slight module misalignment as the matches progressed.

Additionally, the code physically destroyed the modules until it was finally fixed… for worlds. Basically, it created an instance of a swerve drive at the start of auto and another at the start of teleop. Depending on how it came out of auto, it would either be fine or shake itself to hell as the two instances fought for control. The pit crew had a checklist and completely tore each module apart to inspect them for damage between every single match. Despite many hours of testing, it was never found because apparently they only ran it through teleop, never through a typical match routine.

This year we went with an SDS-inspired design that was almost entirely metal and driven by gears, which was a MASSIVE upgrade compared to its almost entirely 3D printed, belt driven predecessor. However, our team was much smaller this year and ~80% of our members were brand new since last year was almost entirely seniors. We ended up with drive failures at both qualifiers due to a lack of having time to test beforehand. If your team doesn’t have much resources, especially time, I cannot recommend pursuing an untested/half-baked custom swerve drive. $150 per module is not the full cost.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.