Rubber Treads Anyone?

Posted by Raul.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Engineer on team #111, Wildstang, from Rolling Meadows & Wheeling HS and Motorola.

Posted on 11/22/2000 11:20 AM MST

I remember seeing a couple of teams that had a really good wheel tread that was claimed to provide superior traction on the typical FIRST carpet. I remember one team had a beautifully machined aluminum wheel with a drive belt that they used as the treads that looked awesome. I cannot remember the team number.

Does anyone know what I am talking about? I would like to know what the belt was and where I can find it so we can do some experiments.

Raul

Posted by Andy Baker.

Engineer on team #45, TechnoKats, from Kokomo High School and Delphi Automotive Systems.

Posted on 11/22/2000 6:03 PM MST

In Reply to: Rubber Treads Anyone? posted by Raul on 11/22/2000 11:20 AM MST:

Raul,

I remember that team 141 had some really good rubber treads in 2000… also 288 had some great treads.

Andy

Posted by nick237.

Engineer on team #237, sie h2o bots, from Watertown high school ct and sieman co.

Posted on 11/22/2000 7:55 PM MST

Raul. Team 237 had machined wheels that were notched to take a piece of double sided timing belt, we had great traction for most of the game we played but found that as the wheels skidded from pushing and climbing we polished the surfaces so that we lost a little push power.
Changing the belt every 4 games fixed the problem.
nick237

: I remember seeing a couple of teams that had a really good wheel tread that was claimed to provide superior traction on the typical FIRST carpet. I remember one team had a beautifully machined aluminum wheel with a drive belt that they used as the treads that looked awesome. I cannot remember the team number.

: Does anyone know what I am talking about? I would like to know what the belt was and where I can find it so we can do some experiments.

: Raul

Engineer on team #111, Wildstang, from Rolling Meadows & Wheeling HS and Motorola.

Posted on 11/22/2000 9:42 PM MST

I remember now - it was team 48 (Team Elite) that I saw with the cool wheels. And I thought they said they got the idea about the belt from another team.

If anyone on that team can help me find the right stuff, I would appreciate it.

Also, I hope rookie teams are not misled by my desire to get more traction. Good traction can be a double edged sword. You have to be careful not to stall your motors for too long and burn them out, trip a breaker or blow a fuse.

Raul

Posted by Allen Smith.

Engineer on team #7, Knights, from Parkville High School and Black & Decker/AAI/Raytheon.

Posted on 11/29/2000 1:44 PM MST

This belting grips the carpet very well and is available from McMaster-Carr or from my new favorite supplier MSC. We turned the peak off our wheels so we had a flat section to attach to, then glued and screwed the belting to the wheel. This worked well but may have given us too much traction and exposed weaknesses in the drive train. I would use it again

Posted on 11/29/2000 3:45 PM MST

In Reply to: Rough-top conveyor belting posted by Allen Smith on 11/29/2000 1:44 PM MST:

Allen,

Thank you. I also found it in the MC catalog a day after I wrote the post. We will try it out.
Who is MSC?

Raul

: This belting grips the carpet very well and is available from McMaster-Carr or from my new favorite supplier MSC. We turned the peak off our wheels so we had a flat section to attach to, then glued and screwed the belting to the wheel. This worked well but may have given us too much traction and exposed weaknesses in the drive train. I would use it again

Posted by Allen Smith.

Engineer on team #7, Knights, from Parkville High School and Black & Decker/AAI/Raytheon.

Posted on 11/30/2000 9:55 AM MST

In Reply to: Re: Rough-top conveyor belting posted by Raul on 11/29/2000 3:45 PM MST:

MSC’s customer service is even more impresive than McMaster’s. You can order up until 10pm and the order will be to you before lunch the next day. And you only pay normal UPS charges. They have almost as much stuff as McMaster and maybe more in the way of machine shop supplies. The phone number is 800-645-7270, ask for a catalog and they are happy to send it, not like McMaster where you have to beg - literally!

Hi to Matt and Steve. Robot season is coming up so I’ve started lurking again.

Allen

Posted by Matt Leese.

Other on team #73 from Edison Technical HS and Rochester Institute of Technology.

Posted on 11/29/2000 5:43 PM MST

In Reply to: Rough-top conveyor belting posted by Allen Smith on 11/29/2000 1:44 PM MST:

I’m a little suspicious of how much better the traction was using this belting than the regular wheel chair wheels. BTW, I was on team 7 last year so I have a partial clue as to what I’m talking about. We did have traction problems throughout the competition. Now I’m not saying that they are directly related to the belting as it’s more likely to be a weight distribution issue than the belting itself. I would just say be a bit careful using the belting and run a few tests yourself before committing to it.

Matt

P.S. Hi, Allen! Haven’t seen you in awhile…

Posted by Steve Shade.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Coach on team #7, Knights, from Parkville High School and NASA GSFC / Black & Decker / Raytheon / AAI.

Posted on 11/29/2000 6:32 PM MST

In Reply to: Re: Rough-top conveyor belting posted by Matt Leese on 11/29/2000 5:43 PM MST:

Matt:
The reason it didn’t look like it did as much was because of the location of the dirve system. The dirve system needed more weight on top of the axis of the drive wheels. If we would have had that, then the drive would have performed differently. The good thing about using the belting, we didn’t have to take a Wizzard to the wheels every 3rd match to get some more traction.

Steve

Posted by Jason Iannuzzi.

Engineer on team #11, Marauders, from Mt. Olive HS. and BASF, Rame Hart, CCM.

Posted on 11/29/2000 1:53 PM MST

We did something like this.

We had 6’ aluminum hubs, 2’ wide. The belts were 1-sided 1’ wide standard timing belts. The flat side faced the hub, notched side out. The belts were press-fit onto the hub. They are tight enough that they have yet to slip even the slightest bit.

The only problem we’ve had to date is too much traction. We ended up removing 1 belt from each of the front two wheels.

Posted on 11/29/2000 3:54 PM MST

In Reply to: Re: Rubber Treads Anyone? posted by Jason Iannuzzi on 11/29/2000 1:53 PM MST:

Yeah, if you have 4-wheel tank-style drive you have to make sure that at least 2 of the wheels do not have much sideways traction. Otherwise, you will put a huge strain on the drive system when trying to turn.

Raul

: The only problem we’ve had to date is too much traction. We ended up removing 1 belt from each of the front two wheels.