Rule clarification (pneumatic solenoids in series)

I hate to start a thread like this but with Champs just a couple days away Im hoping to get some input. We are looking to put 2 pneumatic solenoids in series, the second to be a pass through/ vent to atmosphere to effectively put a cylinder in neutral. The only rule that could possibly effect this is the following:
R78]
The outputs from multiple valves may not be plumbed together into the same input on a pneumatic cylinder.

My thinking is that there is only one solenoid output going into one input which satisfies the requirment. This rule is clearly to limit flow rate which we are not altering in any way.

Could I get some feedback preferably from inspector type people?

The point of the one solenoid feeding one cylinder rule is to make sure the safety limits of how much air can flow is maintained.

Using a second solenoid in series to “put the cylinder in neutral” would not violate this rule.

I think your proposal follows both the spirit and the letter of the rules. Unless otherwise directed by a Lead Robot Inspector, I would accept it without hesitation.

I believe you are OK with this.

You still only have the output of one valve connected to the cylinder.

The intent of the rule is to prevent you from connecting 2 outputs together to a cylinder input, doubling the flow rate into the cylinder.

Sean,

Our entire catapult system is reliant upon running solenoid valves in series. We’ve never had any trouble with inspectors; we just need to show them that each port on our cylinders is connected to only one valve.

We learned a lot about the pneumatics rules trying to inspect your robot. I think two of the inspectors rock-paper-scissor-ed for it.

[R78] The outputs from multiple valves may not be plumbed together into the same input on a pneumatic cylinder.

My *interpretation *is that if you only have one output plumbed to the input, this rule is satisfied.

Hailey 0 sean 1 :stuck_out_tongue:

Couldn’t you achieve the same result by pressurizing both sides of the cylinder equally? Only problem I can see is that it would be a bit less air-efficient.

EDIT: Never-mind, I just remembered how physics work…