Rule G210 Autonomous

Hey,
Did anyone understand if rule G210:

Means that i can collect my alliance’s Cargo on the opposite side, or that i cannot touch any cargo that on that side…?

Thx

2 Likes

Given the way I read the sentence, that’s “any” Cargo.

Neither “opponent robot” nor “Cargo”.

That said the Cargo can be touched if it’s already rolling around.

5 Likes

agreed

2 Likes

Sounds to me like the perfect question to get clarification from the Q&A on!

5 Likes

While I don’t disagree, I think the confusion here comes from translation/ESL more than anything else.

I had to think about it a bit, mentally diagram that part of the sentence… and American English is my first language.

3 Likes

Where can I find the official QA post?

The Q&A isn’t open yet. Once it is, your team’s two primary contacts can access the credentials for your account from the FIRST Dashboard, and log in to post questions.

https://frc-qa.firstinspires.org/

3 Likes

If you look at sections 6.1.1 and 6.1.2, both Robots and Cargo are mentioned as being “staged”.

So now it depends on how “may contact neither an opponent ROBOT nor CARGO still in its staged location” is parsed.

Option 1

1. May not contact opponent Robot
    1. May not contact Cargo still in staged location

Option 2

• May not contact Robot still in staged location
  • May not contact Cargo still in staged location

Either one of the options can be supported by the text.

I’m firmly convinced those who wrote the rules assumed Option 1 and they don’t want you to contact the opponent Robots at all in Auto. But it does need clarification.

Someone who has Q&A access should ask if “still in its staged location” applies to both Robot and Cargo, or just Cargo.

6 Likes

In addition to what “still in its staged location” applies to, the other question I think being asked here is whether the word “opponent” applies to both the words “ROBOT” and “CARGO”. That is, I see multiple possible parses:

1. contact neither an ((opponent ROBOT) nor (CARGO) still in its staged location) on the opposite side of the FIELD.
  2. contact neither an (opponent ROBOT) nor (CARGO still in its staged location) on the opposite side of the FIELD.
  3. contact neither an opponent ((ROBOT) nor (CARGO still in its staged location)) on the opposite side of the FIELD.
  4. contact neither an opponent (ROBOT nor CARGO) still in its staged location on the opposite side of the FIELD.

I similarly assume the intended parsing is what I listed as #2, where “opponent” only modifies “ROBOT” and “still in its staged location” only modifies “CARGO”. But I can certainly see the possible ambiguity.

4 Likes

The way I read it is staged points are known to all , robot on OPPOSITE side is free to grab CARGO if it’s no longer in staged location as that is what offered that CARGO protection

While @GaryVoshol 's point is valid, no matter how you read R210, there doesn’t seem to be any benefit to crossing the CENTER LINE in AUTO except in the weird edge case where the other alliance has “de-staged” your CARGO. And even then, only if you have already gathered all of your CARGO staged on your side of the field, and are autonomously chasing down loose CARGO. In fifteen seconds.

…and can guarantee that your robot won’t contact an opposing alliance robot while doing so.

It seems like a tall order for an auto routine to (a) notice a cargo out of position, (b) decide to chase it down, and (c) avoid contacting any other robots or game pieces. All without any driver intervention?

Risky…