Rule M7 Question

I wanted to know if anyone knows whether we need the team number on all sides to be visible throughout the match or just at the beginning? Could some just clarify this for me?

I suppose that it would be similar to the light issue. If the number is obscured by a box you are carrying or some field object, then that is acceptable. If your number is obscured by a part of your robot, then it is not.

For example, your robot has large “wings” that spread out to knock down the boxes on the top of the ramp. If they block the judges view of your numbers, then you may be DQ’d.

But if you put numbers on the “wings” as well, then that would be acceptable. The numbers on the wings would compensate for the numbers on the robot being blocked.

There is no need to compensate for the lack of visibility caused by the boxes on the ramp.

It is important to note that this is a departure from previous years rulings on identification.
“M7 …Teams must display their Team Number in four locations at approximately 90-degree intervals around the side of the robot. The numerals must be at least 4 inches high, at least in ½ inch stroke width and in a contrasting color from its background. Team Numbers must be clearly visible from a distance of not less than 100 feet.”
as opposed to two sides and 50’. With the ramp blocking visibility and all of the field objects, this is one rule to follow to the letter. I want there to be no doubt in the judges mind which robot he/she is looking at.